•  Beth's Blog•  World News•  Local News•  Food•  Arts•  Science•  Religion / Philosophy•  Politics•  Sports•  DIY•  Back Page• 
You are Here: Food

No English, No Cheese Steak at Genos

by
beth
Executive Editor
Published on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:55 pm

No English, No Cheese Steak at Genos
By now I'm sure you've heard of Geno's steaks "English only policy". It hit the news a few days ago, and has been the source of constant debate on the Internet lately. Why? The irony, of an ethnic restaurant in the Italian side of town in Philadelphia, requiring its customers to order in English.

Now I've been to Philadelphia, and as most of you know, I was there just 3 short months ago. I can tell you for a fact no one in Philadelphia, let alone Geno's Steak & Cheese, speaks English. They speak Philly. It's absurd to think you should require Hispanic, and Mexican immigrants to speak English, when most locals orders their food in secret code as is.

For instance Cheese isn't cheese, it's "wiz". Secondly, the phase "with onions" is shortened to "wit"

The funny part of this all is I felt the people at Geno's were actually the nicer group of guys when we were there then Pat's, their rival. Both have killer cheese steaks, but the Geno's guys were friendlier. Either that or they don't get many North Carolina, "not dressed for the weather", in the middle of Philly, 20 something girls, at their restaurant all that often.

Re: No English, No Cheese Steak at Genos

PostComment by Guest on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:33 pm

beth wrote:No English, No Cheese Steak at Genos
By now I'm sure you've heard of Geno's steaks "English only policy". It hit the news a few days ago, and has been the source of constant debate on the Internet lately. Why? The irony, of an ethnic restaurant in the Italian side of town in Philadelphia, requiring its customers to order in English.

Now I've been to Philadelphia, and as most of you know, I was there just 3 short months ago. I can tell you for a fact no one in Philadelphia, let alone Geno's Steak & Cheese, speaks English. They speak Philly. It's absurd to think you should require Hispanic, and Mexican immigrants to speak English, when most locals orders their food in secret code as is.

For instance Cheese isn't cheese, it's "wiz". Secondly, the phase "with onions" is shortened to "wit"

The funny part of this all is I felt the people at Geno's were actually the nicer group of guys when we were there then Pat's, their rival. Both have killer cheese steaks, but the Geno's guys were friendlier. Either that or they don't get many North Carolina, "not dressed for the weather", in the middle of Philly, 20 something girls, at their restaurant all that often.

I completely agree with this "requirement" What make this any different that jobs that post "Must be bilingual"??? If I were to go to Spain do you think they would adapt to the English language just for me....more people should have this and then hopefully, more people would WANT to learn our language instead of just knowing that our country will accomodate them- leaving them with no drive to learn-

PostComment by Matt on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Seems reasonable since Genos probably doesn't want to have to hire someone who is bilingual.

English is the standard language in the U.S.. Immigrants in the early 1900s didn't have issues with this.

Why must we go through the expense now?

I don't HAVE to be right all the time. I just AM.
Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension

PostComment by beth on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm tired, and I'm just getting up, but this isn't a employment requirement, but a requirement to order food at Geno's.

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Matt on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Yes but if you-a no-a speaka da English, how does you tell the Geno cashier, who probably only speaks english, what you want to eat?

Matt

PostComment by beth on Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm

Well the place is called Geno's steaks. Most people who go there are going to order a Cheese steak, and secondly its one big glass window, that provides easy access to pointing if all the rest fails.

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Matt on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:41 pm

Well that's the beauty of private business...if his product is that good, he can decide who his customers are.

Matt

PostComment by beth on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Technically yes, but walk directly across the street and there is Pat's King of Steaks who might happily learn a few words of Spanish to sell a few more of his Cheese Steaks.

I mean, I've worked in call centers for years, and we always have a Spanish number to call, because it is a large portion of the market. We also have Chinese, mandarin, Russian, and you name it. It's a world economy.

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Guest on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:27 am

......"This Is AMERICA: SKEAK ENGLISH"

I commend Geno's for posting the sign. If you choose to live in this country then you should learn the language and use it.

PostComment by beth on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:33 am

So when the majority of America speaks Spanish in 50 years, should you be forced to speak Spanish?

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Matt on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:47 pm

No, we should be firmer about immigrants having to learn English before it becomes an issue.

Matt

PostComment by beth on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:11 pm

But what if it happens. Say we can't stop immigrants from crossing the border, no matter what happens, and eventually the majority of people within the US speak spanish? Would you feel the same way when President Jesus Hernandez approves a bill making Spanish the official language of the US? Would you learn the language just to order a burger?

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Matt on Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm confident something will be done to turn the flow back or off. The power that be enjoy there power too much.

And you have to be a U.S born citizen to be President. No legal or illegal immigrant will ever be President. Not even Awwwnold.

Matt

PostComment by beth on Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:56 pm

But he could pump us up!

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Guest on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:16 pm

What ever happened to Freedom of Speech?

I lived in Philly most of my life. I am tired of Americans worrying about offending everyone else. If you want to be an American Citizen, you should be required to learn to speak the language.

I heard that Genos is being sued because of the sign.

This may be a harsh example, but I’ll say it anyway.

In America a 10 year old girl can have an abortion without her parent’s knowledge, but you can’t hang a sign that says to speak English. Kids are also required to learn additional languages in school, but apparently they don’t have to learn English.

What a bunch of crap

PostComment by rosibaby on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:01 pm

Bravo to Genos Steak and Cheese...This is America and you should speak the language "English" When you travel to other countries like France, they expect you to speak French. So if the sign offends people then just do this: when they place an order and you can't understand them just say "Next Please"

rosibaby
Guest Columnist

PostComment by Milander on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:05 pm

I just loved the fact that, in the picture, the restaurant seems to be completly empty... LOL nuff said really

Let me bring you songs from the woods, to make you feel much better than you could know. Hold steady as you go.
Milander
Guest Columnist

PostComment by beth on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm

We went twice while we were up there, and while the picture looks sunny, let me explain. It's about 15 degrees outside and this was about 10:30am in the morning if my recollection is correct. Not probably the budding time for cheesesteaks. Of course we were tourists, so they were glad to serve. When we went back, it was alot busier, (it was later in the day)

beth
Executive Editor

PostComment by Matt on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Penn Station makes a pretty good cheesesteak. Their Chicken Cordon Bleu is very good.

http://www.penn-station.com/index.php

http://www.google.com/maps?q=1603+Battl ... =addr&om=0

Matt

PostComment by beth on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:49 pm

Never been there.... but I'm going.... Oh yeah.

beth
Executive Editor

Moderators: SouthernFriedInfidel, schitzy, Matt, Sanjuro