greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

No English, No Cheese Steak at Genos

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:55 pm

By now I'm sure you've heard of "English only policy". It hit the news a few days ago, and has been the source of constant debate on the Internet lately. Why? The irony, of an ethnic restaurant in the Italian side of town in Philadelphia, requiring its customers to order in English.

http://www.greensboring.com/pod/philadelphia%20042.jpg

Now I've been to , and as most of you know, I was there just 3 short months ago. I can tell you for a fact no one in Philadelphia, let alone Geno's Steak & Cheese, speaks English. They speak Philly. It's absurd to think you should require Hispanic, and Mexican immigrants to speak English, when most locals orders their food in secret code as is.

For instance Cheese isn't cheese, it's "wiz". Secondly, the phase "with onions" is shortened to "wit"

The funny part of this all is I felt the people at Geno's were actually the nicer group of guys when we were there then Pat's, their rival. Both have killer cheese steaks, but the Geno's guys were friendlier. Either that or they don't get many North Carolina, "not dressed for the weather", in the middle of Philly, 20 something girls, at their restaurant all that often.
By Guest

Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:33 am

beth wrote:
By now I'm sure you've heard of "English only policy". It hit the news a few days ago, and has been the source of constant debate on the Internet lately. Why? The irony, of an ethnic restaurant in the Italian side of town in Philadelphia, requiring its customers to order in English.

http://www.greensboring.com/pod/philadelphia%20042.jpg

Now I've been to , and as most of you know, I was there just 3 short months ago. I can tell you for a fact no one in Philadelphia, let alone Geno's Steak & Cheese, speaks English. They speak Philly. It's absurd to think you should require Hispanic, and Mexican immigrants to speak English, when most locals orders their food in secret code as is.

For instance Cheese isn't cheese, it's "wiz". Secondly, the phase "with onions" is shortened to "wit"

The funny part of this all is I felt the people at Geno's were actually the nicer group of guys when we were there then Pat's, their rival. Both have killer cheese steaks, but the Geno's guys were friendlier. Either that or they don't get many North Carolina, "not dressed for the weather", in the middle of Philly, 20 something girls, at their restaurant all that often.

I completely agree with this "requirement" What make this any different that jobs that post "Must be bilingual"??? If I were to go to Spain do you think they would adapt to the English language just for me....more people should have this and then hopefully, more people would WANT to learn our language instead of just knowing that our country will accomodate them- leaving them with no drive to learn-
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:48 am

Seems reasonable since Genos probably doesn't want to have to hire someone who is bilingual.

English is the standard language in the U.S.. Immigrants in the early 1900s didn't have issues with this.

Why must we go through the expense now?
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:54 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm tired, and I'm just getting up, but this isn't a employment requirement, but a requirement to order food at Geno's.
By Matt
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Yes but if you-a no-a speaka da English, how does you tell the Geno cashier, who probably only speaks english, what you want to eat?
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:54 pm

Well the place is called Geno's steaks. Most people who go there are going to order a Cheese steak, and secondly its one big glass window, that provides easy access to pointing if all the rest fails.
By Matt
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:41 pm

Well that's the beauty of private business...if his product is that good, he can decide who his customers are.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:12 pm

Technically yes, but walk directly across the street and there is Pat's King of Steaks who might happily learn a few words of Spanish to sell a few more of his Cheese Steaks.

I mean, I've worked in call centers for years, and we always have a Spanish number to call, because it is a large portion of the market. We also have Chinese, mandarin, Russian, and you name it. It's a world economy.
By Guest
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:27 pm

......"This Is AMERICA: SKEAK ENGLISH"

I commend Geno's for posting the sign. If you choose to live in this country then you should learn the language and use it.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:33 pm

So when the majority of America speaks Spanish in 50 years, should you be forced to speak Spanish?
By Matt
Published: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:47 am

No, we should be firmer about immigrants having to learn English before it becomes an issue.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 am

But what if it happens. Say we can't stop immigrants from crossing the border, no matter what happens, and eventually the majority of people within the US speak spanish? Would you feel the same way when President Jesus Hernandez approves a bill making Spanish the official language of the US? Would you learn the language just to order a burger?
By Matt
Published: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:21 pm

I'm confident something will be done to turn the flow back or off. The power that be enjoy there power too much.

And you have to be a U.S born citizen to be President. No legal or illegal immigrant will ever be President. Not even Awwwnold.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:56 pm

But he could pump us up!
By Guest
Published: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:16 am

What ever happened to Freedom of Speech?

I lived in Philly most of my life. I am tired of Americans worrying about offending everyone else. If you want to be an American Citizen, you should be required to learn to speak the language.

I heard that Genos is being sued because of the sign.

This may be a harsh example, but I’ll say it anyway.

In America a 10 year old girl can have an abortion without her parent’s knowledge, but you can’t hang a sign that says to speak English. Kids are also required to learn additional languages in school, but apparently they don’t have to learn English.

What a bunch of crap
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network