greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

New Restaurants in Greensboro - Have you eat there?

By Sebeq
Movie Critic
Published: Fri May 05, 2006 2:45 am

Hey, I've decided to lighten up a little and ask some foodie questions of you all.

Has anyone eaten at any of these new restaurants?

Hemingway's
Much
Minj
Metro Gourmet
Natty Greene's

I'm trying to get some outside reviews/opinions for chefmoz.org, a free sight where anyone can review restaurants. I happen to be the editor for Greensboro. It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it! BTW the list is incomplete so don't be alarmed if your favorite place is not listed yet.I'm working on it!
http://chefmoz.org/United_States/NC/Greensboro/

Thanks y'all
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu May 11, 2006 9:39 am

If it doesn't have a value menu or happy meals, then I probably haven't been there in the last 4 years.
By Sebeq
Movie Critic
Published: Tue May 16, 2006 1:50 am

Much may not have value meals - but they do have belly dancers : )
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue May 16, 2006 6:18 am

Don't know if you saw Ed Cone's post... but he made mention of several of these.

Quote:
The food at Natty Greene's is better than it used to be. It earns a solid Good Enough as long as you aren't really going for the food, but for the beer and the fact they let you sit outside with your dog. The tiny little tasting-sized beers are good for lunch. Service: quite good.

Saffron was where we went for Mother's Day dinner. Even though the regular management was on vacation in India and there was some slight degradation of the usual excellent service, the food is so good that nobody cared. The Lamb Mango and a large Kingfisher are recommended. The lunch buffet is really good, too.

Liberty Oak has a nice downtown space and a good staff and the food is good if not unbelievably good. I had the tuna steak when we went on Saturday night after first going to Hemingway's-now-Churchill's martini bar, which is pretty swell and contributed perhaps to my favorable impression of every place and person I subsequently encountered that evening.

Other places I patronize with regularity: Undercurrent deserves some kind of award for sustained excellence; even when I just sit outside with Luna and have a hamburger it makes my day. Sushi 101 is always good; the lunch specials are a steal and the atmosphere is cool and welcoming. And if I just want to go sit in Lindley Park with the dog, a Kaiser RB from First Carolina Deli or something hot from Ghassan's does the trick.

By JQPublic
Staff Writer
Published: Wed May 17, 2006 9:30 pm

We need a Maggianos.

Natty Greenes is unimpressive as a English type pub. The food was terrible.

http://www.forerunner.com/champion/X0006_5._Martin_Niemller.html
By Sebeq
Movie Critic
Published: Wed May 24, 2006 3:36 am

I have not tried Natty Green's beer yet, the food I had was OK, nothing to write home about, but it wasn't terrible. I hear the main reason to go is the beer though, supposed to be very good.

Thanks for adding that Cone post, forgot about Saffron's. I gotta try that one.

So far, a few of my favs in G-vegas are Arigato, Mexicos, Rearn Thai and Smokey Bones. Noble's in Highpoint may be expensive, but it is some of the best food in the area.
By rumface
Staff Writer
Published: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:33 am

Hemingway's, now Churchill's, does not really serve food; just like 3 appetizers and a dessert. They do have a "Member's Appreciation" buffet on Thursday nights which is mediocre at best. Well, I haven't been there in a few months, because it's boring, over-rated, over-priced and the service is poor, but that's what it was like back in Feb.

The food at Much is okay, but service in the restaurant is horrific; bar service is okay though.

Minj...THE BEST WINGS IN GREENSBORO! Decent drink prices and good service. GO THERE TODAY!!

Metro Gourmet is AWESOME! Great sandwiches at good prices, and you can get beer/wine there (pretty good selections). The service is good and Noah, the owner, is just a really nice guy.

Natty's is okay.

I'd like to add that Solaris is the best place that no one is going to. The service is great, they have the best bartenders in Greensboro and the food is delicious. We've never had a bad meal there. Plus, the menu changes throughout the year, so you're always getting something different. Stop by on a Thursday night for 1/2 tapas between 5:00 and 7:00pm in the lounge area.

Sebeq wrote:
Hey, I've decided to lighten up a little and ask some foodie questions of you all.

Has anyone eaten at any of these new restaurants?

Hemingways
Much
Minj
Metro Gourmet
Natty Greene's

I'm trying to get some outside reviews/opinions for chefmoz.org, a free sight where anyone can review restaurants. I happen to be the editor for Greensboro. It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it! BTW the list is incomplete so don't be alarmed if your favorite place is not listed yet.I'm working on it!
http://chefmoz.org/United_States/NC/Greensboro/

Thanks y'all

By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:38 am

The last couple of times I went to Solaris, it was closed when it was *supposed* to be open. Probably was just my luck, but none-the-less I finally just gave up on trying and went places that kept to their posted hours.
Published: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:16 am

Hmmmm, they have been experimenting with hours the last couple of months. They are definitely open Tue - Sat at 5:00pm, and I believe open for lunch Tue - Fri from 11:00am - 2:00pm, I think. We were just there last Thu & Fri nights, so they are definitely open then! Go on a Thu between 5-7 and get 1/2 off all tapas.

Sanjuro wrote:
The last couple of times I went to Solaris, it was closed when it was *supposed* to be open. Probably was just my luck, but none-the-less I finally just gave up on trying and went places that kept to their posted hours.
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:35 am

rumface wrote:
Hmmmm, they have been experimenting with hours the last couple of months. They are definitely open Tue - Sat at 5:00pm, and I believe open for lunch Tue - Fri from 11:00am - 2:00pm, I think. We were just there last Thu & Fri nights, so they are definitely open then! Go on a Thu between 5-7 and get 1/2 off all tapas.

I'll have to try and check it out again. Now, I just have to make the time. It's like a block down from me but I rarely get home before 11 anymore. Laughing
By Sebeq
Movie Critic
Published: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:09 am

Hey Rumface,
Funny you should mention that Noah was a nice guy...I worked there for like a minute in restaurant time. He was nice, but I was a little concerned about him going under due to staffing issues,trying to take on too much too fast and he made many rookie mistakes for someone who has been in the business for a long time. I heard he got a good head cook in there now. Glad to hear people like the food - he's got everything invested into that place so I'd hate to see him fail. Keep on eating there!
By rumface
Staff Writer
Published: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:23 pm

Sebeq wrote:
Hey Rumface,
Funny you should mention that Noah was a nice guy...I worked there for like a minute in restaurant time. He was nice, but I was a little concerned about him going under due to staffing issues,trying to take on too much too fast and he made many rookie mistakes for someone who has been in the business for a long time. I heard he got a good head cook in there now. Glad to hear people like the food - he's got everything invested into that place so I'd hate to see him fail. Keep on eating there!

There's definitely some issues, and he seems to be getting through them. He's in a pretty good location and the food is some of the best deli food in Greensboro. We do our share to keep him in business!
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network