greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

Monk's CheeseSteaks & Cheeseburgers

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:36 pm

http://www.greensboring.com/pod/monks-cheesesteak.jpg

What makes a city great? Is it the people? Is it the buildings, and companies? I think its the food. More importantly there seems to be a requirement for one unanimously agreed upon location for Cheese-steak sandwiches. Take Philadelphia, New York or Miami for that matter. They all have world renowned CheeseSteak Restaurants. Greensboro used to have one, but with the demise of the Carolina Circle Mall, that legendary Cheese Steak Restaurant disappeared. But now he's back, and his name is Monk.

Monk whose real name is Tito Rodriguez is a big guy, with a a movie-like New York city look. He might be able to make Cheesesteaks, but he can also beat down anyone who acts up in the dining room. This is the same man who with a big neck chain around his neck, and a golden cross on the wall will greet you with a smile, and take your order for a cheesesteak.

It took about 5 minutes from the time of order to receive my cheesesteak to go, and during this time, you could look around a see a picture of a woman, and old coca cola menu, proudly displaying that this is the former Monk's of Carolina Circle Mall from 1990-1997.

http://www.greensboring.com/pod/monks-cheesteak2.jpg

When you get to Monk's you better know your cheese-steak. This isn't Philadelphia, and Monk sells only NY style here. With peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese- this thing is made to order from scratch with fresh vegetables that Monk probably hand picked himself. The most notable thing I noticed is the bread is fresh, Super fresh. I don't know if it's made in a bakery, or monk gets up at 3 AM to make his own, but this isn't some sports bar variety that was snuck in from the local Food Lion. This is the real deal.

http://www.greensboring.com/pod/monks-cheesteak3.jpg

So I finally got my NY Cheese Steak, wrapped in a hot dog wrapper. Hot dog wrapper? I opened the thing up to find hot, gooey, fresh made cheesy goodness.

8 inches of goodness.

Technically it's 8 inches of Monk's gooey goodness.

Hmm...

Maybe they should go to 12.

Needless to say one bite, and I'm sold. Great sandwich at a good price. Monk has even realized this by advertising on his menu sign, that he offers great lunches for under 5 dollars. Where else are you going to find a NY Cheesesteak in Greensboro for that?

Monk's Cheesesteaks
Northeast Shopping Center
1030 Summit Ave
Greensboro, NC 27405
336-275-1105
M-SAT 11-9
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:49 pm

Holy crap, thats right down the road. WOOHOO!!!
Published: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:06 pm

Cheesesteaks!!! MMMmmmmm

Its the one thing that can unite atheists and Christians!

I love a good cheese steak and I'm pretty particular about them. The only good cheese steaks I have found so far come from Pizza, Polla, Pasta out of 68 and to a lesser degree Mario's Pizza has a good cheese steak.

I will look up Monk's and give it a try... yummy!
By papito180
Published: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:09 pm

Razz Very Happy hi this is tito (the monkman) thanks for your input on my business you are right about everthing..and that hot dog wrapper it was left over paper product from the previous restaurant...the woman on the wall is a picture of my dear mother
carmen gloria maldonado (lord bless her soul)(1936-1986) my business is always open to anyone who has the time to come in an enjoy a true good cheesesteak sub or a real good hand pattied fresh ground chuck hamburger or cheeseburger...chek our website at
www.monkscheesesteaks.com
leave a message on our guestbook..thanks tito!![/b]
By papito180
Guest Columnist
Published: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Very Happy HI WE HERE AT MONKSCHEESESTEAKS&CHEESEBURGERS
would like for all people to come out and try our
really good and fresh food we serve we have been in business for over 16years....when you are hungry come on down to the best burgers in town!! Razz
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:55 pm

Good food indeed. I had a Dr appointment concerning an old sports injury so I was up that way today. I decided to mosey on over to Monks for the first time. I tried out the cheesesteak today (and I'm real particular on my cheesesteaks) and it was quite good. Service was real good too.
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:06 pm

Auugh! I always come home so darn late! I use that exit to get to downtown so I see the signs plastered everywhere on that corner. I have yet to cruise by during operating hours. Sad

Of course if Jovick and I showed up there at the same time folks would get dinner AND a show! Laughing
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:13 pm

Sanjuro... if we ever met there at the same time I'd BUY you dinner.

Smile
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network