greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

GPD Cop Package Jeep, Why?

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Wed May 24, 2006 6:22 am

http://www.greensboring.com/pod/copjeep.jpg

What's the point of a Cop package jeep in Greensboro's fleet of police vehicles? Is there a sandy beach somewhere that I'm not aware of that they need to carry their surfboards too?

Seriously, I'm trying to figure this one out. Oddly enough, I caught this GPD officer illegally parked at the Lotto office at Farmington drive. Okay I'm all for preferred parking for Greensboro Police, but I'm really trying to comprehend the reasoning behind buying a Jeep for a police car? Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't they slow and poor handling, and slightly expensive? Or is this one of the GPD officer's personal vehicles, of which the owner is overly excited about working for the department?
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Wed May 24, 2006 7:41 am

I think it's part of a push showing that there are "less standard" cop cars now. I saw an unmarked SUV pull somone over for speeding the other day.

I guess it's to keep drivers wondering where the cops are so they drive better.
Published: Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 pm

I don't really know why they have them... funny post though. You seem quite baffled.

I see those jeeps around UNCG all the time though. Some of them have "Parking Patrol" or whatever on the side of them and I had to deal with a city parking ticket one time and two cops rode out to meet me in one of those jeeps.
Published: Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 am

They might be better on gas instead of those big Crown Victorias they use for the cruisers.

At the Grasshoppers game last Saturday, I saw a Pontiac Grand Prix parked at the main gate. I suppose if you're just chasing down speeders and not hauling anyone in, a small but fast car makes the most sense.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu May 25, 2006 8:02 am

I doubt very highly its because of gas effieciency. If it was, they should be considering hybrid, or motorcycles. I have a feeling its a police department with a bloated surplus of vehicle funds, and an overly creative purchasing department.
By Haily B
Guest Columnist
Published: Fri May 26, 2006 4:05 am

Sometimes, the cars are donated by local car dealerships. Up here in West Vancouver, which is the richest municipality in Canada, the West Van cops have Jeeps, Toyota Prius, Land Rovers, and Jaguars.
By Matt
Published: Fri May 26, 2006 7:30 am

beth wrote:
I doubt very highly its because of gas effieciency. If it was, they should be considering hybrid, or motorcycles. I have a feeling its a police department with a bloated surplus of vehicle funds, and an overly creative purchasing department.

I'm thinking the current hybrids don't offer enough power or speed. Motorcycles would certainly be a good bet.

Does greensboro have any motorcycle cops?
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri May 26, 2006 7:50 am

I don't know if its Greensboro PD, or State Patrol, but I saw a cop on a bike pulling someone over on 421 the other day. I can't remember if it was in the city limit or not.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri May 26, 2006 8:02 am

Well... the jeep wrangler isn't a very performance oriented vehicle, nor a good gas mileage vehicle.

Quote:
Specifications (2003) Description: in-line six, overhead valve (two per cylinder), flat-face followers, hydraulic lifters, cast iron block and head
Displacement: 3960 cc (242 cubic inches)
Bore and stroke 98.4 mm x 86.7 mm
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Red-line: 5,300 rpm

Maximum power, 2003, Wrangler:

USA - 190 hp (142kW)@4,600 rpm; 235 lb-ft (319 Nm) @ 3,200 rpm
Europe - 130 kW (177 hp) @ 4600 rpm; 296 N·m @ 3500 rpm
Fuel injection (final form): sequential multiple-port, electronic
In the Wrangler, 0-60 in 9.9 seconds (manual; 10.6 seconds, four-speed automatic); top speed 108 mph - the Wrangle weighed over two tons, so those aren't bad times.

USA (EPA) fuel economy (mpg)
City 15 14
Highway 18 18

Compare this to the Toyota Prius (the most popular hybrid) which gets 60/51 miles per gallon and does 0-60 in 9.8 seconds. Not to say the Toyota Prius would make all that great of a police vehicle, but the wrangler is neither a formidable 4x4, nor a overly good road vehicle, so I'm still scratching my head on what purpose it serves GPD.

By prod
Guest Columnist
Published: Fri May 26, 2006 10:10 pm

This is old news, the city uses Jeeps because believe it or not, they can purchase them much cheaper than the three wheeled parking enforcement vehicles. There is only a couple of jeeps in service and they are mainly used by parking enforcement and bike patrol.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri May 26, 2006 11:16 pm

And to go buy lotto tickets!!!!

Very Happy
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network