greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Science & Technology | Religion & philosophy | Politics | Sports & Auto | World & Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

Great American Boycott

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Click for Full Size

A Day without Immigrants

“How do you make the invisible, visible? You take it away.”

Monday morning, Greensboro will wake up with a portion of its population having disappeared. Similarly, around the US, the same event will occur. The idea comes from the film a day without a Mexican. A movie where California wakes up to find that one third of its population has disappeared. As the day goes by we discover that the characteristic that links the 14 million disappeared is their Hispanic background. This is the premise of the film A Day Without A Mexican that was released in 2004.

The plan is this: If your an immigrant, a supporter, or compassionate about ending the crucifixion of human beings simply for coming from the other side of the fence, then don't go to work. Call in sick, Take a vacation day, just don't go.

In addition, around the world immigration rights supporters will gather to illustrate their points and to be heard.

Greensboro Rally Details:

Quote:
Zip: 27403
Time: 3:30 PM Tate St. (off UNCG Campus)4:00 PM (Melvin Municipal Building, Downtown)Time End: 7:00 PM
Contact Person: Julie Southerland
Phone: 336-420-3987
e-mail: [email protected]

Student contingent/UNCG Student carpool meet up at fedEx Kinko's parking lot on Tate Street. We will be meeting at 3:30pm to go together to the MAY 1 "Great American Boycott" Rally for Immigrants Rights in Downtown Greensboro as part of the national day of action.

By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:04 pm

Lot of people will be fired Tuesday as well.
Executive Editor
Published: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:37 pm

Matt wrote: Lot of people will be fired Tuesday as well.

I take it you won't be at the Rally on Monday Matt?
By Matt
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 6:29 am

beth wrote:
Matt wrote: Lot of people will be fired Tuesday as well.

I take it you won't be at the Rally on Monday Matt?

lol...I'll see how this one works out.

Maybe I'll go down with my camera and take pictures of people and license plates.
Executive Editor
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 am

Stay away from any white MX-3's, I made sure the thing is registered last night. Smile
By Matt
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 9:53 am

4 p.m.?

That's pretty much after the work day is done. I thought all those protesting were supposed to skip work?

That's weak.
Executive Editor
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 9:59 am

Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't choose the time. Maybe its so we screw with traffic downtown during rush hour?
By Matt
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 10:53 am

I was speaking in general terms.

But I'll take aim anyway. Razz
Executive Editor
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 11:35 am

Oh I know.... But really it might be a smart idea, if alot of people show, it could cause quite a traffic problem downtown during rush hour, and be smacked dab ready for the evening news?
By Matt
Published: Mon May 01, 2006 1:51 pm

True. It'll happen just in time for the 5pm news.

We have only a handful of folks out of the 120+ that work here possibly from Mexican families. I'm not exactly sure because the subject never came up...I just assumed. Haven't had a chance to get their take on things.

Anyway, they all showed up today and we cut all our temps last week because the month was over and the big orders shipped. We're part of a very large company so identification and legal working status is checked here before hire. If anyone is in fact illegal, they've gone through steps to hide it.

Only instance of possible protest I can first-hand report is about the guy from the cleaning service that does the daily trash, bathrooms, etc. He's working a little slow today but never was all that fast anyway. Does a great job though.

Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Advertise here

dish network
Shannon's Mom Hack