greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

When will Greensboro learn?

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:49 am

I was going through some analytics data on traffic for greensboring.com last night and was comparing this sites traffic recently to some other sites. Remarkable a spike in traffic on most of Greensboro's websites hit around March. I assume this was from the ACC, NCAA or something else. But it got me thinking. This is the only claim to fame Greensboro has. While some people will argue nothing is wrong with Greensboro, I am one of those individuals that believe Greensboro is far more deserving of world class notoriety, then blatant small town stereotypes. Why? Because it effects jobs, culture, education, and our lifestyle. Why are homes in Durham selling for 900,000 dollars, yet you can drive down Holden and buy one with tires for 65,000? Why do we continue to hear about layoffs, and big businesses closing down here? Why does every week a major restaurant shut down in Greensboro?
Why? Because we're too damn sure that growing just a little, might change things in a way we don't like. We're scared. We're afraid Greensboro is going to turn into another Los angeles, or New York, when it really never will. By limiting ourselves we've set ourselves up for mild sprawl with no centered attraction. It really doesn't ever get that much better, we just move it: From downtown fifty years ago, to Randleman road twenty years ago, to High Point road ten years ago, to Wendover now. It's all parking lots, and alot of mediocre.

When will Greensboro learn? When will we take a chance and build incredible buildings, with important companies, hiring intelligent workers. When will we have an amusement park to take our kids on and tell them, I remember my dad taking me to get a Coney dog here? When will we build a Nascar track, or Professional sports venue, so we as citizens can become so patriotically aligned with our sports team, that we shave our teams logo in our heads? When can I pay a quarter to rise to the observation tower of the tallest building and view a spectacular city? Where is our London eye? Our Griffith Park? Our Coney Island?

When will Greensboro learn? Will it take becoming merely and over-sized housing tract for the Triangle, before Greensboro says "We've had enough, this our city, and it's better then this." We shouldn't have to drive to Charlotte to take the kids to a world-class museum, or Raleigh to see how the latest IMAX film. It should be here. It should be now. Everything else is just an excuse.
By rumface
Staff Writer
Published: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Greensboro will learn when Jim Melvin and all the old-timers that are running Greensboro are gone. They control EVERYTHING that happens in Greensboro in one way or another...
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network