greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Science & Technology | Religion & philosophy | Politics | Sports & Auto | World & Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

Cook-Out Restaurant

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 am

Click for Full Size

Cook-Out, a small chain of double lane drive-thru restaurants is synonymous with the words Greensboro & lunch.

They claim "Cooked outdoors style", but in all my times in going to this lovely establishment, I have never seen anyone cooking outside. Is it a conspiracy? Even more questions have to be asked of the High Point road location which is directly across from the dog kennels?

Bark. Bark. Sizzle Sizzle.

But what constitutes "cooked outdoors?" At my house this would generally lead you to believe, that everything would be burnt, smell like lighter fluid, and probably has fallen into the coals a few times and then wiped off before it made its way to your plate.

Its odd when you go to restaurant and notice the beef actually looks like ground beef. Somehow in the madness of American fast food, we've substituted beef with a gray patty of beef like fat. Not so at cook-out, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the meat mom used to make.

The best part of Cook-Out is the oddity factor in their menu. Two of my favorites is the "steak style" and "western style" cheese burgers, but many others exist. Unlike other fast food places, instead of just having "a cheeseburger" Cookout offers their burgers in Flavors.

The bad part is its generally messy. Onions in your teeth, A1 on your cheek, and bad, bad, breath that certainly will clear the board room meeting very quickly.

Overall cookout gets a pretty good grade from me. Cheap, Good, and unique. But the one reason that makes Cookout a step above the rest is, that it's the only restaurant where you can order Chili-Cheese Fries, have it come in a foot-long hot dog box, and requires 4 other people to help you finish it.

Thank you Jesus for Cook-Out.

Click for Full Size
By babs
Guest Columnist
Published: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:17 am

We left Greensboro last summer and now live in the Dallas area. Lately my husband has been jonesin'(Black folks speak for craving intensely)a Cook-Out style hamburger and keeps asking me to find out about franchise information. Can anyone help a sister out??? I have looked everywhere and can't find it. TIA!
By etherfast
Guest Columnist
Published: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:17 pm

here is cookout's phone number 1 336-547-0011.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Click for Full Size
By melalyssa
Guest Columnist
Published: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:08 am

Got fries and a shake with that?
Lacky
Published: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Yeah, thats right, I'm drudging up this old post.

Has anybody figured out who owns these, or why there is no website yet?

They do have the best 'fast food' anywhere. But the company is remaining way too quiet.. makes me wonder if they aren't owners of something else as well.

Thoughts? Let's hear the wacky conspiracy theories!! Mr. Green
Features Reporter
Published: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Cookout corporate headquarters are at 5505-D Adams Farm Ln in Greensboro. They may be reached by telephone at 336-547-0011
Lacky
Published: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:48 pm

I asked for conspiracies dang it! Not "Facts". Razz

Thanks for the info BHL!

Wonder why they have no website? It would be a LOT easier than reading that 10 story menu every time you drive up.

Features Reporter
Published: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Sanjuro wrote: I asked for conspiracies dang it! Not "Facts". Razz

Thanks for the info BHL!

Wonder why they have no website? It would be a LOT easier than reading that 10 story menu every time you drive up.

From what I've seen they are a locally owned chain (non-franchised). It is strange that they don't at least have a one page website. Hey... maybe some financial opportunities here!

Cool
Lacky
Published: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:53 pm

One popped up in Mooresville a few months ago and still has lines around it. I'm glad too, I got really tired of choosing between Taco Bell, Jack-n-the-box and Wendys when I went to work there.

Of course I gained 20 lbs too.... Confused

Executive Editor
Published: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Went there today...

Nothing like a drippy A1 covered goopy mayonaise burger with onions to kick off the New Year's diet.
By capslock32
Guest Columnist
Published: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Sanjuro wrote: Yeah, thats right, I'm drudging up this old post.

Has anybody figured out who owns these, or why there is no website yet?

They do have the best 'fast food' anywhere. But the company is remaining way too quiet.. makes me wonder if they aren't owners of something else as well.

Thoughts? Let's hear the wacky conspiracy theories!! Mr. Green

Rumors have it that the Cookout Restaurant is owned by Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers.
Guest Columnist
Published: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am

I am kink of curious and I am wondering if the Cookout beieves in the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)? People should look into the company information.
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:19 am

Well the urban legend that I've heard, is there used to be a burger cook at Wendys. One day, he became upset with how he was treated at Wendy's and he quit, walked out and opened a small drive-thru gambling everything on the fact "he could make better burgers"... and bob's your uncle... you've got a chain of Cookouts.

As far as the website goes, I can only assume they don't want to spend the money for it, or don't feel they need it. Perhaps they just don't want the feedback from customers that often comes with the transparency of owing a website?

Me, personally I'd recommend they work on their Chili.... Perhaps fly out to LA and try this:

http://www.originaltommys.com/
By carrie
Guest Columnist
Published: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:58 pm

we love cookout. can they set up in Biscoe, NC? i hope so.
Guest Columnist
Published: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:10 pm

There is a brand new empty Sonic building in Biscoe, NC. with a children's playground. I would love to see Cookout set up there. Sonic was in business there for only about a year. My opinion as to why it shut down is because the prices were too high for food that wasn't that good. Biscoe is a small, but rapidly growing little town and I believe Cookout would do great there. There is no competition to worry about as far as the milkshakes go. I mean look at how many flavors Cookout offers. Behind the shutdown Sonic is a Walmart, McDonalds, Cato, Radio Shack, Movie Gallery, Shoe Show and Subway. And then there is a Hardee's about a mile from there. And that is about it for Biscoe. So it's not much competition, and yet at the same time, there is enough other stuff to keep it in business for a small town of Biscoe. The Walmart there is doing great and the other businesses are also. So I think Cookout would too. The location and size of the recently closed Sonic would be perfect for Cookout. I really hope Cookout considers that and hope they come to town. We love Cookout!
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:51 pm

I heard they were closing the Sonic off of Market Street. Anyone know for sure?
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:00 pm

Wouldn't suprise me, that's a real odd location... but haven't heard anything.
By BecauseHeLives
Features Reporter
Published: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:04 pm

Maybe they'll move it out towards Wendover #2 (New Garden).

Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Advertise here

dish network
Shannon's Mom Hack