greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

How to Move Your Blogger Blog to a Domain

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:41 pm

I wanted to email this to Laurie but couldn't find her email address on either of her blogs, but then I thought I'd mention it to everyone.

One of the things that gets under my skin is going to dead blogs, or people link building for sites like wordpress or blogspot. Hey your entitled to do what you want, but basically all your hard work goes out the door the moment you move because basically your PageRank or "authority" in search engines is still attached to the old site. Since you can't do a proper re-direct on most of these sites, I recommend the next best alternative, a meta-redirect. They're simple to do. For example if Laurie wanted to automatically redirect readers to her new site after she's imported her old posts into wordpress all she'd have to do is:

1: Open Template in Blogger
2: Right Click, Select All, & Delete Everything.
3: Copy and paste this in it's place:

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL="http://slowlysheturned.wordpress.com/">
</HEAD>
</HTML>

3: Save & Republish. It should now automatically redirect to the new site.

(of course for anyone else, just replace Laurie's URL with your own)

It seems to work with search engines too, which will see the new content and consider them the same. I've tried it in the past.

It helps you, your readers, and keeps people from spamming the crap out of your old blog.
By Billy The Blogging Poet
Guest Columnist
Published: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Where were you when I was moving a couple of years ago? Very Happy Smile Cool Wink
Published: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:17 am

Billy The Blogging Poet wrote:
Where were you when I was moving a couple of years ago? Very Happy Smile Cool Wink

You can still do it if you still have access to your old blog.
By joelgillespie
Guest Columnist
Published: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:26 pm

Do you know if this works for moving away from MSN Spaces to Blogger or Word Press? I would love to figure out a way to redirect from that. I haven't figured out how to move the archives as a batch, so that's a pain too.

Joel
Published: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:45 pm

joelgillespie wrote:
Do you know if this works for moving away from MSN Spaces to Blogger or Word Press? I would love to figure out a way to redirect from that. I haven't figured out how to move the archives as a batch, so that's a pain too.

Joel

It should as long as MSN allow you to modify the template. Of course this will then forward all pages to the new site, and the old posts won't show up till transfered. I'd reccomend copying your old template into wordpad or notepad just in case you don't like it, but it should work with any blogging software. It's just a simple meta redirect.
By Laurie
Guest Columnist
Published: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:07 am

Hey, thanks for the tip! Although I'm a little frustrated with the WordPress blog at the moment - I may end up going back to Blogger with my tail between my legs. But when I finally finish transferring the blog, I'll take your advice.
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network