greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Science & Technology | Religion & philosophy | Politics | Sports & Auto | World & Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

School Censorship

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Roch posted a real eye opener on Greensboro101 about Guilford County Schools insistence on blocking local blogs. Do students even read Greensboro blogs? I understand blocking huge blogging services like typepad, and blogger because alot of crap is on there; but, someone's got a personal vendetta if they're blocking Sue's site on her own domain. That means they purposely blocked her domain name. Singled her out. Why? I'm curious as to if Greensboring comes out, because of any site that should be blocked it's mine.

Quote: What do EdCone.com, Sue's Place and all of the News & Record's blogs have in common? Their access from Guilford County Schools' computers is blocked. Try to view them from a school computer and a message pops up on the screen saying that they are blocked because they are "Weblogs/Personal Pages." Some local blogs are accessible, but that's accidental--they just haven't been "caught" yet. The school system's filtering software attempts to prohibit access to all web pages that are determined to be in the category of "weblogs."

By rumface
Features Reporter
Published: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Any ignorant move by Guilford County Schools should never come as a surprise to anyone. It's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) now. Big news would be GCS actually doing something productive and logical...
By Billy The Blogging Poet
Features Reporter
Published: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:10 pm

I can understand full-well that they might block access to <a>BloggingPoet.com</a> and I have no objection but the thought that our local school system might also be blocking LaureatesKids.com-- my children's poetry website-- is very disturbing. Very disturbing indeed.

Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Advertise here

dish network
Shannon's Mom Hack