·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Pelorus - Lex Luther's Real Life Yacht

by Liv | Published on July 10th, 2006, 7:22 pm | Arts
In the movie Superman Returns, Lex Luther obtains a yacht from the late estate of his elderly lover. Much like Anna Nicole Smith, Lex makes out pretty darn good. If the boat looks familiar, it's probably because it looks astonishing like the world's largest yacht called Pelorus. As you can see by comparing this diagram of Lex Luther's boat with the actual pictures of Pelorus, there is a striking similarity.

So if Pelorus is the boat the ship in Superman Returns is patterned after, then who is the real-life Lex Luther?

That honor would go to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich. He purchased Pelorus from a wealthy Saudi and retrofitted it to suit his needs modifying the original German design.

Pelorus is 377 feet long and powered by two 3,600-hp Wärtsilä engines. Pelorus also has a submarine capable of detecting sea mines, and a anti-missile detection system.

Yep, sounds like Lex Luther to me.

You forgot the Helocopter landing pad.
July 11th, 2006, 2:25 pm
Billy The Blogging Poet

Great article!
i m found more pics of Pelorus http://roman-abramovich.com/pelorus-yacht-pictures-roman-abramovich.htm
August 15th, 2006, 4:26 pm

I think you are quite clearly blind if you beleive Pelorus looks anything like Lex Luthers make beleive yacht. If anything it might very very very partially resemble M/Y Octopus. Neither is Pelorus the worlds largest yacht, neither does it have a submarine. Also, the interior design before being bought by Roman Abromavich was designed by Englishman Terrance Disdale, therefore not German in design or reflection.
December 5th, 2006, 4:01 am
HarryG

HarryG wrote:Also, the interior design before being bought by Roman Abromavich was designed by Englishman Terrance Disdale, therefore not German in design or reflection.

The interiors are not particularly English in design or reflection either, which is why Disdale's work sells. No doubt in a few years the decor will be renovated by yet a different decorator. Pardon the author and me for being more concerned with the part that does the actual floating, boating, etc. It is very evidently a Lurssen design. If you took a Georgian mansion and decorated the inside like a hareem would that make it Moorish?
October 18th, 2008, 6:56 pm
fzdybel

The helipad on the Pelorus is in the front, whereas the helipadon Luther's is in the rear...
Obvious, right?

Well the largest yacht in the world is parked in Dubai, and it's helipad is also in the rear, quite like Luther's. Actually, the profile of that yacht with Luther's is pretty close. Worth checking out.
March 10th, 2009, 10:05 pm
navelpower

My other boat is the USS Enterprise.
March 19th, 2009, 3:17 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I don't see a lot of similarity above water and there aren't any pictures of Pelorus hull so comparing the underwater profile isn't possible.

boats.jpg
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
March 19th, 2009, 4:13 pm
A Person

It was a relational comparison...

Big arse boat = real life equivalent.
March 19th, 2009, 4:54 pm
Liv

All comparisons are relational, but they are certainly alike in that they are both large luxury yachts. with a sharp end and a rounded end.
March 19th, 2009, 5:01 pm
A Person

But what it's missing is a water slide.... my Yacht is getting a waterslide....
March 19th, 2009, 5:13 pm
Liv

Return to Arts