·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Huichol Indian Birthing Procedure

by Liv | Published on June 12th, 2007, 5:21 pm | Arts
Random find here, and oddly alarming for men I suppose, although this might solve the problem of dead beat dads, rapists, and those one night stands.

The following artwork is titled "The Father Assists" and is apart of the San Francisco museum collection. At first glance you think it's a space abduction; but upon closer inspection you realize, it's actually a birthing ceremony. Yep, there's mom, and the mid-wives, and the baby... wait! What's that? Dad in the attic? With ropes tied to his testicles?

Yes it is.

How The Husband Assists in the Birth of a Child:
According to the Huichol tradition, when a woman had her first child the husband squatted in the rafters of the house, or in the branches of a tree, directly above her, with ropes attached to his scrotum. As she went into labor pain, the wife pulled vigorously on the ropes, so that her husband shared in the painful, but ultimately joyous, experience of childbirth. (Berrin 1978: 162)

I wonder why that tradition died out? Sounds nuts to me.

LOL
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
June 12th, 2007, 5:41 pm
BecauseHeLives

If there were anything that might make me run off and be a dead beat dad, that would be it.

I don't plan on tying anything round my family jewels and standing in a tree - I can't help but remember the fate of Mr X http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?t=5723
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
June 12th, 2007, 9:12 pm
A Person

Return to Arts