Originals La Culture Geekery WTF? WWJD? The South Blog

Greensboro News-Record loses me

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 22, 2013 11:20 pm

So several months ago, the N&R changed their web site, and most everyone HATED it. Especially the commenting function for us wired folks. It sucked, but on occasion, I decided to go ahead and put in an occasional bit.

The other day, with great fanfare, they unveiled the "Latest and Greatest" web site for their Intarwebz presence. They were especially proud of their comment function, it seems. Only... they have completely lost me as a commenter, for two reasons.

1) The comments are based EXCLUSIVELY on Facebook accounts. And while I do have such a thing, it is ONLY because I made the mistake of signing up years ago, and only found out later that you can never get out once you're in. And that grates against my nerves like you would NOT believe,

2) This morning, I bit the bullet and logged into my Facebook EXCLUSIVELY to leave one comment, explaining that I won't comment on their site any more until they re-consider and provide a local login option. THAT comment has since been deleted.

They will have to live without me for a very long time after that.

Bastards.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 am

You can get out:

https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674

That said, it's been one of the dilemmas of Greensboring... anonymity vs full identity.

Facebook does entice comments. On my other sites, Facebook comments are almost 99% what most people use to comment.

I have a feeling the N&R redesign was in part because of the Panda algorithm (Google), and the recent purchase of the company (N&R).

Personally I've never cared for their site, their design, or how they handle things since their (old) management team (higher up than John Robinson) decidedly chose to pull any links to our site due to unknown pressure (social, political, who knows!)

I remember starkly (and probably inappropriately) saying what goes around comes around. Seeing local newspapers shrivel up (The Rhino), makes me wonder if my mantra of karma is coming true.

The truth is (I'll take a guess) God hates Greensboring... and so do newspaper owners.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu May 23, 2013 7:26 am

Huh. You have to fill out a form to humbly request deletion? Figures. I'll definitely get on it today.

That's another set of bastards I'll never miss.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Thu May 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah I strongly considered it when I got back from Belgium, because I was (am) having difficulties being back in hell and watching my life go on over there without me.... but, in the end I keep it, just to follow others.... but I'm not nearly as involved in posting on it as I was.

Sort of my sacrifice for lent.... I need to spend more time in the real world.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 pm

It's not that I'm anti-social. I just do not trust a multi-billion dollar corp that gets that way by selling information gleaned by these posts from people trying to just be social.

Plus, there's no way to be "open" in posting, since people keep saying that employers study people and what they post there. So why even try to be involved with something that forces you to pull your punches in order to make a living.

F that.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Well it's already been dubbed "mombook" by the younger generation, and most "kids" a generation younger than I, have been using Tumblr as the new Facebook. That was of course until Yahoo purchased them last week. Not sure what's next.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 am

I will never use ANY web site to conduct my actual social life. I would love to write material for an audience, but after the events surrounding Royal Dingleberry... I want no one to EVER know more than needed about me personally. I'm CERTAINLY never going to voluntarily share any thought on-line that I want to keep private.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 am

Hm. Just looked in on the Opinion page. Of the 6 or 7 letters to the editor I looked in on, only one person was commenting. The sound of the cicadas must be deafening over there...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 pm

It could be an audience mis-match. Meaning, around here, people (could be) technically less-inclined, or simply-put, their audience doesn't translate to Facebook users.

Give you an example of Facebook commenting:

http://www.noshcookbook.com/2011/12/whe ... teria.html

Obviously, it's my site, and my page... but the Facebook commenting system is highly utilized, with over 21 comments out of 929 likes.

So it does get used.... but, I have some pages that don't get comments or likes.

The News & Record just needs a good marketing strategy for their online presences separate from their print media. Most people who know how to do such things do it for themselves.

Personally I think OpenID commenting is the way to go (which includes Facebook), but Facebook does have a stranglehold on the web right now.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri May 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Ok, I know I'm out of step with the rest of the world on this subject. I prefer to have some privacy in my life, and it truly rubs me the wrong way to know that any information I post on Facebook makes those bastards money that they would NEVER dream of sharing with me.

I can't speak for others that might post on web sites, but are no longer interested in using the N&R forums. For myself, I want to have the option to speak my mind to the community .. and I don't mind using my real name there, so long as others are as well. But being told I can only do so via Facebook, and being forced to check the "Post to Facebook" box in order for anyone beside myself to see it... just DAMN.

I sent them an email this morning explaining my objections. Apparently, they want to force anyone that wants to contact them to use a PHONE, cause no emails exist on the "contact us" page. Truly, their communication plan is an absolute puzzle to me.

Oh well. Whatever.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Fri May 24, 2013 10:29 pm

I recommend a good Guy Fawkes mask and random act of vengeance. I find it deeply therapeutic.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat May 25, 2013 1:46 am

Liv wrote:I recommend a good Guy Fawkes mask and random act of vengeance. I find it deeply therapeutic.

Gotta admit, I'm tempted...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to The South