·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

How to Wash Checks

by Liv | Published on October 19th, 2007, 6:01 pm | Advice
Check Washing. It's big business in America. Thieves take your checks from your mailbox and remove the information off the checks and replace it with their own. Now I don't do check fraud, but it sounded like an interesting proposition when my check company said that they had invented some anti-copying technology on their new checks.

"We recommend our Security checks, designed with a embedded security strip that prevents your checks from being washed, copied or forged."

Okay, so I contacted my bank and asked if they had some samples of this super check. I was skeptical but after placing a check in bleach, it very clearly lost it's embedded security strip from the check washing. Indeed it even changed the paper brown, which would make me skeptical if I was merchant, to say the least.

Almost any strong solvent is going to remove ink from the paper. The problem arises with check washing though, is even though you may remove the ink written on it, you'll never removed the pre-printed text. Which means you have to cash it in your account, which means you'll get caught. It doesn't make a heck of alot of sense to me, but people must be getting away with it or else it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Supposedly your ability to wash a check varies with the polarization of the fluid used with the check washing versus printed on the paper. I quickly found out online, you're supposed to use nail polish, if you really want to wash a check. Indeed, it did work alot better. The embedded strip stayed right on the check, and it's clear with either bleach, or nail polish remover the checks would lose any information written on them with a cheap pen.

But this got me thinking. Why would someone wash a check? Check washing is complicated, laborious and technically a check is just a piece of papers saying "IOU", and can, for the most part be written on anything that a merchant is willing to accept. We've come to believe that because of Magnetic Image readers, and electronic processing through the federal reserve we have to have checks printed. For the cost it is probably still easier, but for a thief? Why not print your own?

A few years ago when I was poor I did just that? We had no checks and were starving.... I had money in the account, just no way to access it. So I created my own check with a MICR font and handed it too the pizza-man who didn't even bat an eye at the dot-matrix, lines of text and crooked scissor cut paper. He accepted it, not a problem. So I wondered, how much effort would it really take someone to make a fairly decent looking check, passable to the more skeptical pizza man? About 2 hours according to my research?

deluxe 009.jpg

The unwashed check.

deluxe 020.jpg

The Bleaching begins.

deluxe 021.jpg

Notice the discoloration, and the strip has "vanished!"
Even though the strip is gone, it's obvious that someone could still accept it.

deluxe 023.jpg

Here's the Finger Nail Polish, and notice it's much less discolored, and the strip is still intact.

Hahahaha! I bet you get a bunch of the dumber fraudsters to give up the gold every day huh? Hahahahaha! Suckers everywhere, but I've got to hand it to you, its pretty smooth, obvious to anyone with half a brain but it still comes off smooth.
Hahahaha! That's pretty slick!

I imagine that most people use check cashing places, so they can do it with a fake ID and no bank account.
Chris Blalock

I don't get my checks from the bank or other printing company. I buy the paper and print them off at home.

Then no-one can steal from my mailbox, providing I don't put them in the mailbox for the postal carrier to pick up

Mark.
mwooldri

mwooldri wrote:I don't get my checks from the bank or other printing company. I buy the paper and print them off at home.

Then no-one can steal from my mailbox, providing I don't put them in the mailbox for the postal carrier to pick up

Mark.

The only problem is the banks are getting picky. I got an over-the-counter check from a client of mine, and took it to my credit union- "MY" credit union.... whom I've never had a problem with....

They refused to accept it....

Couldn't believe it....
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I have been doing this for a long time Ive made big $$$ from it. Don't use bleach don't use fingernail Polish use Acetone Paint Thinner. Leave it in there about 20 seconds if its a cheap pen it will completely take all the ink off and leave everything else intact including all security features. But some pens has paint fibers in them and wont come off. Good thing to remember don't stick the part were the person has signed the check leave it out of the acetone, so they cant get you for forgery. If the person signed the check and its indeed there signature they cant charge you with forgery, and you can go use your own ID nothing the court system will do.

PLEASE READ
Yea I used to do that all the time but I changed my ways, WHEN WRITING CHECKS ALWAYS USE A GOOD PEN NO CHEAP PEN
Fraudster

Fraudster wrote:Don't use bleach don't use fingernail Polish use Acetone Paint Thinner

Nail polish remover IS acetone, although it sometimes has oil added. It removes ball point pen ink, but not water based inks. I was thinking about cheques when the year changed, I used to have to remember, but I don't think I wrote a single cheque last year.
A Person

Yeah.... I think the five boxes I have sitting around will last a lifetime.... though I'm not sure how long I can stand to write 'Speed Racer' checks in 2025.
Liv

Are most Americans still using checks? I can't remember when I last wrote one
smiler125

smiler125 wrote:Are most Americans still using checks? I can't remember when I last wrote one

As we all know now... being I worked for the manufacturer of them... no... no one but the old lady in the old folks home who is scared of the ATM, and still uses Betamax uses them.

That the reason my former employer is making the transition from selling checks... to becoming Staples. (unless of course that's changed on my wee bitty sabbatical.)
Liv

I think it would be best to get checks from companies rather than personal checks. Like from your accountant friend that works at whatever and sons inc. Give them a good vig and he'd probably give you a couple of payroll checks. Then just wash the name off the check, replace it with your own and you're good to go. It would probably be better to take it to a place that cashes the check rather than a bank.
thc88

Methanol - works better than acetone but and doesn't brown the check. Never tried it but I'm sure it works.
S-Q

it is stupid things, never try it and you will avoid problems!
Benet_