·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

ROPER / WHIRLPOOL Dryer won't start & How to Fix....

by Liv | Published on July 16th, 2010, 10:24 am | Advice
roper_by_whirlpool_corporation.jpg

So two weeks ago, our fairly new budget Dryer from Roper (made by Whirlpool) just stopped working right after doing a load of laundry. The dryer being less than 3 years old began to make me mad and drink a lot as I embarked on a two day mission with a multi-tester, a screw driver and a virginesque view of 220 wiring. I broke some nails, cut my hands, but I never could find anything wrong with the dryer. It was getting voltage everywhere it should. That's when I decided to open up the timer and check the contacts. Sure enough they were burnt. I later figured out a quick test for people with a Roper or Whirlpool dryer who find themselves in a similar situation to test if it's the timer before you call out the repairman. After all, if this happening to me, it's happening to other people... and let's be frank.. this crap dryer isn't worth a repair visit. I have my suspicions that the timers burn out quicker on the dryers with the energy saving feature because they constantly turn-off-and-on by themselves to conserve power.

Here's my model number for reference:
roper_dryer_stopped_while_drying.jpg

and as you can see here's the energy saver feature, which on the back of the knob is the timer.
roper_dryer_wont_start.jpg

So here's the trick. It will only take 10 minutes to see if your dryer quit because of the timer as well...

1) Unplug dryer.
    2) Access the upper rear panel and remove:

roper_dryer_not_working.jpg

3) Locate the timer on the right hand-side directly behind the large knob.
    roper_timer_installed.jpg

4) Now see that white harness on the right hand-side of the timer with the tan and white wires? Double check you've done step #1 (Be a bit O.C.D.... it's worth it.) and remove the harness being aware of how it's positioned on the timer. Grab a jumper wire and connect the tan to the white. (on the harness) Plug the dryer in and carefully start the dryer. If it starts right up, you need a new timer.

In my case I disassembled the timer for a visiual confirmation which can clearly be seen:
roper_timer_burnt_contacts.jpg

Now I'll warn you, the timers aren't cheap. The cheapest I found was for $63.88 and about $17 in shipping on E-bay. (It came direct from Sears though it's sold through a company called Mel-Co) If you have the exact same model dryer I have (RED4400SQ0) then you'll need timer:

3979617 Timer 60 Hz Dryers for Whirlpool or Roper

You can google it here.

Installation is a breeze. Remove the knob then the two screws that hold the timer in place. Then replace each wire for wire on the timer. (which are color coded just in case). Do be careful re-installing the tan-white harness because it can go on more than one way and you will blow a breaker if it's offset on the wrong connector. (Don't ask how I know this.)

So what if it's not the timer? Well it could be several things but most likely it's the white thermostatic fuse located behind the tin cover on the lower half of the dryer. Since it's somewhat more cumbersome to get to and requires a multimeter to properly test, I would have to probably recommend you call someone at this point. (If your comfortable with testing it, unplug one lead on it and check it for continuity.) On the other hand if you find your vent clogged with lint, something you can check without much difficulty then that's probably the issue. (The thermostatic fuse overheating from the lack of air flow.)

A few things I've learned (or questioned) out of this experience are:

1) Dryers are stupid. They suck in my A/C which I've already cooled, heats it, then tosses it out the external vent. I can't believe in 2010 this is as good as it gets. (The smart Japanese have heat-pump and microwave dryers.) It would seem to make sense to me that during the summer, running a vent to the intake of the dryer would be a huge energy saving modification.

2) There are no Energy Star Dryers. When I started shopping around believing all was hopeless I would have ended up with nothing better than what I have now.

3) Why does does Whirlpool sell under the name Roper then print the name Whirlpool on the dryer? Why not just call it a Whirlpool?

4) A clothes line and pins costs about $7 and actually dries the clothes quicker than the dryer when it's above 90F.

I can't remember when I last used my dryer. I use option #4 in summer and a clothes rack in winter

it doesn't need to be above 90F either. Anything above 32F
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
July 16th, 2010, 10:32 am
A Person

I would imagine if the temp was 33 F, the process would take quite a while. :D
July 16th, 2010, 10:46 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I would imagine if the temp was 33 F, the process would take quite a while. :D

When we first moved back to NC from AZ about 5 years ago we were dirt poor... (seriously... dirt...) and had no dryer. Spent the first few months hanging clothes out. Jeans took about 3 weeks to dry because of the humidity around here when it's not summer... I doubt they'd ever dry in the winter here.

Before I figured it out, I was going to buy the $1400 LG washer dryer combo:

Open in New Window

Open in New Window

After a good bit of research (and checking with the bank on getting a 30 year loan on the thing)... supposedly, several reviews suggested their power consumption was cut in half going to this unit because of it's high-rpm drying tumbler and it's energy saving washer feature.

But I must say... I'm glad I didn't have to fork over that change now.
July 16th, 2010, 10:53 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I would imagine if the temp was 33 F, the process would take quite a while. :D

Seriously, no. Not if the sun is shining and there's a breeze, but we do have very low humidity.

I imagine that if you used your dryer on fluff, i.e. without heat, it would dry almost as well, given the air conditioning, and save some cash

The other thing is to get a front loader washing machine with at least a 1200 rpm spin. That uses a fraction of the water, gets clothes cleaner and they come out a lot dryer to start with
July 16th, 2010, 11:17 am
A Person

I feel your pain. I've been sans washing machine for a month now. :(
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 16th, 2010, 11:55 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:I feel your pain. I've been sans washing machine for a month now. :(

Well I'm all good now. Dryer is fixed, I fixed the upper rack of the dishwasher with new rollers yesterday... and installed a switch on the water-heater for electricity savings....

It's like a whole new f'ing house here....

Next project: Build giant wifi tower that shadows house and tie into wireless bridge so I can cancel my internet bill....

...but that might be awhile.
July 16th, 2010, 12:31 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Advice