·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

How to get rid of fleas...

by Liv | Published on August 9th, 2009, 9:22 am | Advice
Short of reinventing the Nuclear Bomb and setting it off in the house, I've tried everything... and I've googled, and I'm coming up with crap.... so, I'm currently taking advice on how to get rid of fleas.... More importantly "Ohio Fleas"... which by definition are pig-headed, republican, and Catholic.

You see it all started when Grandma died. Grandma had a dog. The dog had fleas. Mom and Dad brought Grandma's dog which had been baking in Grandma's thermostatically controlled house of 89 degree which happened to be a perfect incubator for fleas. When the dog made it to the North Carolina, all was well till we went back to London and Cardiff back in March. That's when Grandma's dog, came over to our house while Mom watched the house.

Suddenly infestation... and of course, our dog now has them and itches likes she's mad.

We've tried everything to get rid of the fleas.
    We've washed the dog every other day in several types of flea shampoo.
    We've bug-bombed,
    we've got that shaky white cocaine-looking stuff you sprinkle on the carpet,
    we've tried the aerosol sprays,
    doping the dog with benadryl,
    we carpet cleaned with a shampooer,
    vacumn frequently,
    washed all the beddings,
    even shaving the dog down to military buzz cut...
and none of it has helped. It doesn't even seem to have lessened it.

So whats next?

To get the fleas off of the dog,give it a bath useing regular Dawn dishwashing detergent instead of flea shampoo. Just be careful around the eyes and rinse well. You should notice the dead fleas falling off and into the bath water. *This was recommended to me by my vet. It worked like a charm!*
Of course,if you have fleas/flea eggs in your carpet or elsewhere,then they are just going to jump right back on your pooch. I used some carpet flea powder from Lowes and it worked for me. If you use that,be sure to let it sit on the carpet for the alloted time,usually at least 30 minutes, and be sure to change your vacuum cleaner bag afterwards! If not,then the little buggers will find their way out and back into your life!
Hope this helps!
August 9th, 2009, 10:45 am
Ange

Perfect!!! I'll definately try it.... wonder what's in dawn that works?

Keep em' comin if anyone has tips.
August 9th, 2009, 11:24 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

The Wife puts Revolution on the back of my neck once a month - when she can catch me.
A man living in a world where men are no longer necessary.
August 9th, 2009, 2:46 pm
Fecund Stench

To get the fleas off the dog, get Frontline or the equivalent from the vet or from petsmart. Be sure to get something that will kill fleas in all stages of the life cycle and that prevents them from reproducing. It might take several months for all the fleas in your house to die off.

Meantime, vacuum your carpets/rugs and upholstery daily. That catches any flea eggs or larvae that drop off the dog and into your carpet or couch. The flea powder will help accelerate the little flea pogrom, but really it's the vacuuming that does the trick. Be obsessive!
August 9th, 2009, 4:54 pm
lurkette

Use a shampoo with Eucalyptus oil in it
August 9th, 2009, 5:33 pm
No-one

We went through the same thing when we ran out of Frontline for a month. By the time we got to the store to get more, It was apparently too late - fleas had already moved in.
The vet gave us a pill for the dog (Capstar I believe its called) which got rid of the buggers very quickly....added the normal dose of Frontline and bathed the pooch a week later to get rid of the flea mess. No problems since!
We have hardwood floors so the carpets weren't an issue but the vet did advise the powder and vacuuming well if we did - be sure to discard the bag as someone mentioned before.

Good luck!
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..."
August 10th, 2009, 9:35 am
roknroller

Well we tried the dawn stuff last night... ran out at 10pm to Food Lion for it.... it seemed to calm her for the night... but she's back scratching again....

As far as the carpets... I'm about ready to rip them up... I wanted to last year... but ran out of money.... I want ceramic with area rugs... but don't have the do-re-mi....

I'll have to look in to getting some drugs for the dog I guess.... Too bad my offshore pharmacy doesn't have doggie stuff.
August 10th, 2009, 10:17 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Well we tried the dawn stuff last night... ran out at 10pm to Food Lion for it.... it seemed to calm her for the night... but she's back scratching again....

As far as the carpets... I'm about ready to rip them up... I wanted to last year... but ran out of money.... I want ceramic with area rugs... but don't have the do-re-mi....

I'll have to look in to getting some drugs for the dog I guess.... Too bad my offshore pharmacy doesn't have doggie stuff.

This is a very sad story Liv! Unfortunately, you obviously have fleas in the carpet. (Can you see them jumping when somebody walks across the carpet?
This is definitely a health issue for your kids. AND your parents because if they have that dog in their house, their house is probably infested worse than yours. The thing is, the dog is now gone from your house, and fleas will bite people when there isn't a dog handy. And if there are enough fleas, they will bite anybody they can reach. (Their eggs can't hatch unless the female has a good blood meal.) So while they prefer dogs, they will bite people if that is their only source of a blood meal.

Anyway, if the carpets are infested, bathing the dog will only kill the fleas on the dog. But as soon as the dog lays down, the fleas in the carpet will jump right on. It is hopeless to just treat the dog--you have to get the carpets professionally treated too.

This happened to us one year when we lived on a farm. The fleas were so bad that year that the flea products we put on the two dogs didn't work very well. They got flea infested anyway. They were house dogs at the time. Our house became so horribly infested that none of the off-the-shelf products worked. Bathing the dogs is not effective in that situation because the main body of fleas are not on the dog--they are in your carpet. Fleas pupate fairly soon after they hatch, and the nasty things hatch after only a few days. Their life cycle is such that they can go from newly laid egg to adult in just two weeks! But if there is not a blood source near, they can stay in their cocoons for months. On the other hand, they can reproduce and grow up very rapidly if there are animals in their area. I found on an exterminator web site that just 10 fertilized female fleas can turn into a quarter of a million fleas in 30 days!

So, do what we did. Get a professional exterminator. It isn't going to be cheap. They will have to come at least once a week for about a month but they WILL get rid of the fleas. They have products much stronger than you can buy as a layperson. (You need a license to get the stuff they use). By stronger, I don’t mean more toxic. Their products are less toxic because they use insect hormones to destroy the lifecycle—those products are called growth regulators and they stop the insects from maturing or something. By the way, your parents' house is certainly as bad or worse than yours if they let the dog in the house. I wonder if they are aware of that flea infestation.
August 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm
Questioner

H-help me!!! Fleas are h-h-olding me h-h-hostage!
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
August 11th, 2009, 12:33 pm
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

shannon wrote:H-help me!!! Fleas are h-h-olding me h-h-hostage!

That is EXACTLY how it felt to us! We actually went to a motel for a couple of nights when the fleas were horrible and we were waiting for our first Terminex appointment to kill those fleas. Nasty, nasty, nasty bugs are fleas!
August 11th, 2009, 3:52 pm
Questioner

There has to be a simplier solution....

Like building up a static charge in the whole carpet and then shocking the flea's hearts.
August 11th, 2009, 5:55 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:There has to be a simplier solution....

Like building up a static charge in the whole carpet and then shocking the flea's hearts.

How I wish there was a better solution! The problem is that the eggs are pretty much immune from any killing substance short of burning the carpet. (Not recommended while the carpet is still on your floor!) It isn't until they are larve or adult fleas that bug killing agents can work on them. Worse, many fleas have developed resistance to almost all the stuff you can buy over the counter. If you are really thinking of getting rid of your carpet, now would be a good time.

We once owned a rental house where the tenants got the carpets horribly infested. We tore up the carpets and then scrubbed the bare floors and used a strong flea bomb we got from Terminex. Came back in 2 weeks and re-cleaned the floors although we didn't see any fleas. A week later when we came back, it was clear the problem was gone. There was nowhere for the beasties to hide, and we had scrubbed up all the eggs and larve.
August 12th, 2009, 8:13 am
Questioner

If you want to see a cool "trick" with fleas then try this tactic. Take a large white bowl filled with hot water. Set it on the floor next to where you suspect there are a large number of fleas. Now sit back and watch the fleas jump into the bowl and drown themselves. You'll likely be amazed after just one hour how many fleas that bowl will drown. I've done this several times in the past and it actually works well.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
August 12th, 2009, 3:21 pm
BecauseHeLives

Dumb fleas.
August 12th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Dumb fleas.

Most fleas are liberals. LOL
August 12th, 2009, 3:55 pm
BecauseHeLives

Return to Advice