Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

How Skeptics View Global Warming

All things awesome.

Postby A Person » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 pm

A common repeated bit of misinformation being circulated on the right wingnut media is that 'There has been no global warming for the last 15 years"

From Skeptical Science

See, there has been 'no global warming' for 40 years - just multiple periods of cooling
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Oh that is GROOVY! I mean... every end point of a short "cooling period" is WARMER than the end of the one before it! It's like driving from Greensboro to the Blue Ridge Parkway. You go up a lot of hills and down the other side -- so if you go down the sides of enough hills, OBVIOUSLY, you'll never end up being more than a mile above sea level!
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm

No one need doubt climate change today. It's Feb 1, and I'm wearing shorts, flip flops and a tank top....

I'm riding my bike and it's almost 70 today.

Sounds great to you realize, somewhere on the other side of the earth, there's a child laying in a dried up mud puddle dying of dehydration.

Besides, I bought fingerless gloves darn it, and I want to wear them!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:57 pm

The daffodils are blooming in my garden. Sure sign that February has arrived. The bloody crocuses have NO CLUE what to do any more...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Jamy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:13 pm

This area of NC is a zone 7A and I've heard some talk about changing our designation to 7B (for plant hardiness). We've had drought conditions every summer since I moved here five years ago and the first year I worked at a garden center, we had the most consecutive days over 95 ever recorded in NC....ever. I've heard some of the long time residents say that Guilford Co. used to get way more snow during the winter than it does now.

Right now, I'm sitting here in FEBRUARY with the windows open, listening to the birds singing outside. FREAKY...
Jamy

Postby Liv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:33 pm

First year I lived in NC... which I believe was 86ish... (doah that darn number again)... we had a whopper of a snow storm. Like up to your waist snow. It was awesome.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:51 pm

I grew up on the coast here and winters used to suck because it was cold and the humidity was high and no coat I ever owned was thick enough to hold back those razor cold winds that blew across the ocean. Every other year or so, we'd get one of those beautiful hard freezes where everything would be encased in a layer of ice. I bet this beach hasn't had a hard freeze like that in 20 years. :(
Jamy

Postby A Person » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Here's another example of 'reporting' from FOX. FOX read the AAA Fuel Gage Report and came up with this chart

FoxGas.jpg
FoxGas.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 4491 times

Which presumably illustrates the Republican talking point that gas prices under Obama are rising dramatically. If you plot the price of gas from last year, last week and yesterday on a chart with no time scale, that's what it looks like. But while doing so they ignored this chart on the same page

FoxLiesGas.jpg

They didn't 'lie', they just chose to deliberately mislead
A Person

Postby Liv » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Give it a few more weeks and it will likely look like Fox's...

I filled up at the cheapest station I know of this morning for 3.58 USD a gallon, and this evening we're at 3.65. One station in the inner city is already showing 3.95.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 am

It still won't make FOX right.

Certainly oil prices are rising, whuch seems to be as a result of speculation that the economy is improving (demand driven) rather than shortages (supply tightening).

I would be happy for further sustained 10-30% hike. It would be good for my personal economy, and good for the environment.
A Person

Postby Liv » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

I thought the spike was due to Iran stopping oil-trade with France and the UK?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm

It's analogous to climate and weather. Short term news and events can cause spikes and dips, but the longer term trends are due to the economic climate and long term supply

gas-prices-5yr.gif

Although the divergence in prices between Calgary and Toronto is interesting.
A Person

Return to Geekery