·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

James Bond's Aston is up for sale

by A Person | Published on June 2nd, 2010, 9:15 am | Life
REUTERSJames Bond's 1964 Aston Martin DB5, dubbed by auto auctioneers RM Auctions on Tuesday as the "world's most famous car," will go under the hammer in London in October and is expected to fetch over $5 million (3 million pounds).

It is the first time the distinctive silver-coloured car has been available to the public to buy.

It is one of two, and the sole remaining, of the original "007" DB5s that appeared on screen with Sean Connery behind the wheel in "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball," RM Auctions said in a statement.

The model comes complete with its "Q-Branch" gadgets including machine guns, bullet-proof shield, revolving number plates, tracking device, removable roof panel, oil slick sprayer, nail spreader and smoke screen.

I had the Corgi toy as a kid, with working ejector seat, oddjob, machine guns and bullet shield. I wish I still had it - but apparently Corgi still make it :clap:

I might just buy that, I can afford £13.99 if not the $10,000,000 the full sized one may go for.

World's most famous car???? I'll admit it's well known in circles... but if you didn't say "James Bond" I wouldn't have recognized the car....

I think Herbie the Love Bug outranks this car in fame... The General Lee? Knight Rider? Big Foot?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
June 2nd, 2010, 9:19 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Depends how old you are and in what country you grew up in.

Besides how could anyone get excited about a VW beetle, Dodge Charger or Ford pickup?

I have to admit I assumed General Lee was a GM - because of the 'General Motors'
June 2nd, 2010, 9:30 am
A Person

How about a DMC-12?

Made famous by Back to The Future, it was a international hit... with uniquely distinctive design... Surely everyone in the world would know a Delorean upon seeing it????
June 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Liv

~sigh~
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
June 2nd, 2010, 9:34 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I wouldn't clear out my garage for a DeLorean. Horrible ugly things. A 70's Polyester Disco suit in car form.

Of all the cars you mention, none appeal to me at all.
June 2nd, 2010, 9:50 am
A Person

A Person wrote:I wouldn't clear out my garage for a DeLorean. Horrible ugly things. A 70's Polyester Disco suit in car form.

1...2...someone's coming for you...
June 2nd, 2010, 12:28 pm
Serendipitous

A Person wrote:I wouldn't clear out my garage for a DeLorean. Horrible ugly things. A 70's Polyester Disco suit in car form.

Ahem... Look, sometimes you have to dress her up and maybe take her out once in a while so she feels pretty!

Delorean4Sale-thumb-550x368-30703.jpg

This would be my personal order of top movie icon cars:

1. Ecto 1
2. DeLorean Time Machine
3. Bond's Aston Martin
3. Herbie the Love Bug
4. Batmobile (89)
5. Bullitt Ford Mustang
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
June 2nd, 2010, 12:52 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

We need not forget Smokey & The Bandit's Son of Trigger:

smokey_and_the_bandit.jpg
smokey_and_the_bandit.jpg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 863 times

I came about this close to owning one a few years back.

Also famous that sticks out in my mind: Christine.

Also...

Probably couldn't consider it too famous... But I'd take a Torchwood SUV:

torchwood_suv.jpg
June 2nd, 2010, 2:01 pm
Liv

Sanjuro wrote:Ahem... Look, sometimes you have to dress her up and maybe take her out once in a while so she feels pretty!

Lipstick on a ...

This is James Bond's real car (from the books, Ian Fleming owned one)

The hunk of ironmongery on the front was the supercharger which gave it 175Hp (the same as a Subaru Outback) unfortnately it also gave it a thirst of around 3 miles per gallon. :shock:

The Bond books don't mention James stopping for fuel every half hour.

Most of Sajuro's list I haven't even seen. The exceptions being the DeLorean, the batmobile and of course the Aston.

The late 70's was a dismal time for cars. sexy cars like the E-type,
TR-6

and the Aston DB 5
gave way to wedgies like the TR-7,
Aston Lagonda
and of course the DeLorean.

Overweight, underpowered and boring. Even if they are dressed up with lipstick on.

(Actually that one does have something, in a punk, short skirt with army boots kind of way :lol: )
June 2nd, 2010, 2:43 pm
A Person

Dunno... Love the Delorean... love it, love it, love it....

Remember John Delorean expected to build a version of the DMC-5 that would rival most surpercars... The current owners of Delorean are currently offering spec'd up Deloreans with superchargers and such based on John's original documents...

And the style... was from several other vehicles that were deemed aesthetically perfect at the time. Most notably the gull-wing doors....

My biggest gripe with the Delorean as far as aesthetics was the wheel choice, ride height... and as you've pointed out the powertrain... all of which for the time wasn't that unusual.
June 2nd, 2010, 3:36 pm
Liv

The question was, which was more "world famous". I would imagine the DeLorean still beats the Aston Martin. I've never seen so many versions of toys and models consistently produced of any other movie vehicle. Obviously the market supports it, and if the market supports it there is popularity.

Here are a few, and there are a few hundred other brands and models produced over the years I've left out....

CW21_Delorean.jpg

Back to the Future Charawheels CE CU.JPG

1.jpg

backtothefuture_1521322c.jpg

51AdFpe8bjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51AdFpe8bjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 855 times

bttf-merchandose2.jpg

bttf-merchandise.jpg

DSC03188.JPG
DSC03188.JPG (21.56 KiB) Viewed 855 times

bttfde.JPG
bttfde.JPG (10.97 KiB) Viewed 855 times

wl2442-3-4.jpg

back_to_the_future_delorean.jpg

backtofutbox.jpg

delorean.jpg
delorean.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 855 times
June 2nd, 2010, 4:07 pm
Sanjuro

Is there any room left for you in your bedroom?
June 2nd, 2010, 4:09 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Is there any room left for you in your bedroom?

I only own half of them THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :lol:
June 2nd, 2010, 4:11 pm
Sanjuro

Aha! So you admit you stole the rest!
June 2nd, 2010, 4:13 pm
A Person

I so need to get a flux capacitor.
June 2nd, 2010, 4:31 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:I so need to get a flux capacitor.

All yours:

http://www.bttf.net/Back_to_the_Future_Part_II_Flux_Capacitor_p/21014.htm
June 2nd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Sanjuro

That looks so easy to make - electrical breaker box, plug leads, some LEDs and a timer

But then I'm not a BTTF geek

This guywill turn your DeLorean into a real time machine for only $25,000, with meticulous attention to detail

June 2nd, 2010, 4:59 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:That looks so easy to make - electrical breaker box, plug leads, some LEDs and a timer

I've been thinking the same thing... I'd like to find some chasing led lights to copy the torchwood vehicle too.
June 3rd, 2010, 9:23 pm
Liv

Schlepcar was the first car I said "I want that when I grow up!"

Yes, I have yet to grow up.
June 9th, 2010, 8:54 am
Serendipitous

I've never heard of it - but I can see why you'd like that. I'd have that over Herbie, the DeLorean, Knight Rider or General Lee. No beaches near me - but there are hundreds of miles of back-country off-road vehicle trails where a pink beach buggy would seriously annoy the jacked up off road crowd :)

Until it got stuck of course :lol:

For some reason beach buggies were a hit in the UK where you can still buy kits to make them

I haven't sold my old Subaru and I have toyed with the idea of turning it into a buggy, but my kids prefer it as a car they can borrow.
June 9th, 2010, 9:43 am
A Person

A Person wrote: I'd have that over Herbie, the DeLorean, Knight Rider or General Lee.

TROLL! TROLL!!! :lol:

Sorry, just playing into the role I've been apparently painted into now.

Buggies were huge here in the 70's. Fell off a bit, but you still see a few in the summers on the highway.. no doubt heading to and from the beach. Of course they used to base a lot of them on VW beetle frames and those are harder and harder to get ahold of in decent condition I think.

You now see more Rail cars that use the VW engines.
June 9th, 2010, 9:49 am
Sanjuro

A Person wrote:I've never heard of it - but I can see why you'd like that. I'd have that over Herbie, the DeLorean, Knight Rider or General Lee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderbug

He "talked" too!
June 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
A Person wrote:I've never heard of it - but I can see why you'd like that. I'd have that over Herbie, the DeLorean, Knight Rider or General Lee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderbug

He "talked" too!

Well, so did "Speed Buggy" technically... sorta.. *sputter sputter peeehhhhheeewww....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Buggy
June 10th, 2010, 11:51 am
Sanjuro

I forgot about him! He's the animated schlep. :wink:
June 10th, 2010, 11:59 am
Serendipitous

Return to Life