·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Surgical Center of Greensboro

by Liv | Published on August 27th, 2008, 7:32 am | Greensboro
surgical_center_greensboro.gif
4am came early this morning. We battled the rain and the slick roads getting to Greensboro Surgical Center this morning for Ren's 6am eye surgery with Dr. Young. It's been a bit interesting. We're all super tired, and they just took Ren back under the ploy of getting a balloon. (Doesn't pedophiles do the same thing?)

So we're crying, and sitting here. Luckily they have Wi-Fi, and a lovely coffee machine that brews the coffee fresh right in front of your eyes. The down side was the staff was a bit overwhelmed by the whole "Lesbian aspect" At first they only wanted to take one of us back. Extremely uncomfortable with that aspect, I eventually barged my way back in. The nurse seemed a bit shocked, but in the same essence none of the hetero couples were split up. It was a bit frustrating. Then a few minutes later the anaesthesiologist came in with a grump look and asked who was the guardian. We said "both". He said "But, whose the legal guardian?" We said "Both". He seemed very discontented but continued with the usual spiel of "yada, yada, yada... shove tube down daughters neck." I'm glad we made the assertion to stick together. It is a bit overwhelming they make assumptions about relationships, and even more upsetting they choose to even in the face of "two same sex parents" maintain a partition and discriminatory behavior. I can't blame just them though. It's a brave new world, and we're breaking new ground in it.

So here I sit. My daughter feet away, yet I feel helpless. Dr. Young is an amazing doctor, and I've always been impressed with his personal staff, his skills, and courteousness. The man should win an award. I have full faith in his ability... but it's taking both of our greatest efforts to keep from being a sobbing mess. How do parents do it when their children have serious issues?

I had eye surgery many years ago. It was a weird experience, being doped up but still conscious. What's your kid's issue?

We only had to have our son in for surgery once while he was little -- putting tubes in his ears. It didn't bother us a bit... probably because we had both been through the surgery routine before ourselves.

Sorry about the screwy attitudes of the staff. No doubt they'll handle it better the next time a same-sex couple is in their midst. 8)
August 27th, 2008, 7:41 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Strabismus. (Cross eye)...

Thanks... We're learning to be tougher about the Same-sex thing too.... They did a similar thing at the eye, ear, throat place a few weeks back but profusely apologized after they figured out one of us wasn't the aunt. This place was different though.... They initial made it sound like they just need the person who signed the papers for a few minutes of paperwork. Luckily, I forced my way back.... and it ended up being a pre-surgical consultation, with a wait time of about 1.5 hours. I would have went postal if my daughter went back in surgery, and I hadn't got to spend a few minutes with her. I mean come on, what if by some horrible chance, something bad would happen... It just wasn't professional. I know they're bound by Hippa, etc. but when one parent fully discloses a) "we're a two mom family" and b) signs a legal disclosure that I'm to be provided with all medical information, then it's insulting to be treated in this manner.
August 27th, 2008, 7:50 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Strabismus. (Cross eye)...

Thanks... We're learning to be tougher about the Same-sex thing too.... They did a similar thing at the eye, ear, throat place a few weeks back but profusely apologized after they figured out one of us wasn't the aunt. This place was different though.... They initial made it sound like they just need the person who signed the papers for a few minutes of paperwork. Luckily, I forced my way back.... and it ended up being a pre-surgical consultation, with a wait time of about 1.5 hours. I would have went postal if my daughter went back in surgery, and I hadn't got to spend a few minutes with her. I mean come on, what if by some horrible chance, something bad would happen... It just wasn't professional. I know they're bound by Hippa, etc. but when one parent fully discloses a) "we're a two mom family" and b) signs a legal disclosure that I'm to be provided with all medical information, then it's insulting to be treated in this manner.

Wait a minute here! You're LESBIAN?

:wink:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
August 27th, 2008, 7:56 am
BecauseHeLives

I hope your daughter does well Liv. I'm glad you were able be with her although it took some effort.
August 27th, 2008, 8:04 am
Nfidel

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Wait a minute here! You're LESBIAN?

:wink:

I'm beyond labels.
August 27th, 2008, 8:06 am
Liv

Updated: Well we're back home. Ren's surgery was flawless. The two post-op nurses were the flip opposite of the intake nurse. Very good bed-side manner, very nice. (I almost wonder if someone tipped them off). Doc Young says she did great, and she was a little pissed at us when they brought her back. She slept through the torrential downpour on the way home, and we're just settling in. Just ran over to CVS for her meds and picked up some breakfast. It's been a long freakin day, and it's not even noon yet.
August 27th, 2008, 10:48 am
Liv

Return to Greensboro