·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro is North Carolina's Gay San Francisco?

by Liv | Published on December 21st, 2005, 9:09 am | Greensboro
I was reading a blog the other day, and one of the comments on it was that Greensboro is North Carolina's Gay San Francisco. I didn't think much of it at the time. But later I began thinking about it. It could be true. In fact we might even be the South's Gay San Francisco. (Excluding Florida of course.)

Seriously, a recent billboard campaign by a local activist group has made Greensboro an advertised gay positive city. Our own local blogger Matt Hill, has become one of the most visible voices for gays in Greensboro on the internet. Even my favorite radio station: 107.5's morning D.J. Josie, proudly explains she is the daughter of two lesbian mothers on a frequent basis.

UNCG has a very prominent and noticeable GLBT group, and Guilford College has always been known as a diverse educational institution open to gays, and other such groups.

Even my old High School, Western Guilford, has gotten press, as students spear headed a program to welcome and accept other homosexual students, into a fairly conservative area of town.

It was only a few months ago, here in the blogger community, local bloggers had cited those political officials running for office and their opinion on homosexuality.

I'm certainly not aware of all aspects of this community, but could it be, while Charlotte and the Triangle have found their niches, we've become an oasis for the gay community? Low cost of living, safe neighborhoods, and ironically enough good Christian folks that never would assume you're, well.... gay?

Hey I'm all for it. I'm sure some people are going to be upset to find out that Hooters will be hiring drag queens, but I just have to know where the Castro district is here in Greensboro? My vote? Quaker Village Shopping Center. Wait never mind it, practically is.

Hi,
As much as I wish Greensboro were more like SF. I really don't see it, and if you compare it to other areas in NC, it really can't hold a candle to Asheville. Gays are much less visible if you aren't on a school campus. Many of my clients (I am a substance abuse counselor) have a really hard time finding a safe way to come out when they aren't related to one of the schools or interested in the bar scene. Anyway, thanks.
May 17th, 2006, 9:26 pm
dreamer

yeah, I think dreamer's right. I'm sure that diversity is becoming more common here, but Asheville has been known as "Little San Fran" for quite some time now.
July 24th, 2006, 7:39 pm
jaydawg53

Unless you've been drinking heavily I'm sure your aware of Keith Holliday, Greensboro's mayor, & his intentions to extend city employee benefits to those who live in non-traditional relationships. Unfortunately Guarino, felt it threatened his masculinity just thinking about it.

Hey that's okay, I'm sure our honorable mayor realized that some of his city's residents would have some homophobia, and it's because he chose to initiate same-sex couple benefits to his employees, despite this fact, makes him a hero.

Yes Keitho, I crown you the kings of Gaysboro, and are hereby granted the powers set-forth to turn Guarino into a flaming drag queen with pink pretty nails, and a tutu.

Seriously though... the company I work for has extended these benefits for years. I think most large companies do. Isn't it a bit backwoods to think, Greensboro has not been keeping up with the industry standard of respecting it's employees and keeping it's nose out the personal lives that work for it?

Now I propose Hero Holliday take one more bold move, and do as San Francisco, and include Sex Changes in their health policy. I'm sure we can get Guarino a government job, right?
August 4th, 2006, 9:23 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I'm not pushing an opinion here either way but more playing the devil's advocate here. Why should government pay for sex change operations? Would it not be a personal choice to have a sex change? By the government paying for it, it would then seem government is sticking its nose in personal affairs.

My opinion below...
Quite honestly I think the government pays for way too much stuff now that it should not be doing. Welfare and unemployment obviously need to be revamped. I certainly think government needs to prioritize its tax money and pay for the things that are the greatest need and not try to pay for everything that is "needed".
August 4th, 2006, 10:08 am
Jovick

Going serious....

It's medically necessary to those in need of it.
August 4th, 2006, 10:14 am
Liv

I'm assuming this is a mental health medical condition you are referring to and not necessarily a physical health condition requiring treatment. In other words... treat the physical in hopes of curing the mental condition.

If that's the case Unless you are saying that the government has "pull" over what coverage the insurance companies provide then should it not be the insurance companies that are dealt with and not necessarily the government?
August 4th, 2006, 10:20 am
Jovick

Wouldn't the sex change operations be covered by the work place or the private health care provider? I mean the elderly and disabled get free healthcare, but last time I checked, I pay for mine.
August 4th, 2006, 10:24 am
HanShotJFK

Liv wrote:Going serious....

It's medically necessary to those in need of it.

That's the sticky part. If the city is going to be paying for it, or forcing a healthcare provider to do so, then there has to be some governing body to judge who has the need and who does not.

My biggest concern, although there are others, is what will that do for attracting businesses to the area if they know they'll be forced to pay for a treatment that is wrapped in controvesy?

If a choice comes down to like Memphis or Greensboro, and other things being equal except this issue, companies will be wearing Orange instead of Blue.
August 4th, 2006, 10:35 am
Matt

I personally do not care to have my tax dollars go to pay for the inurance coverage of people who are not family members of the employee. If we are going to pick up the tab for these non-family members then what’s wrong with a city employee going out and “adopting’ a few homeless people, who most certainly need this medical care, and claiming them on their policy? Same difference here people I am comparing apples to apples.
I have no problems with homosexuality and in fact have argued for years before the current studies have proven my contention that homosexuality is an inherent personality trait and not a personal choice.
I have in this context been a defender of Gays for years before it became the "in" thing. I also really see nothing wrong with allowing same sex marriage which is after all just a legal agreement by two individuals to commit to each other exclusively. But, unless and until same sex marriage is legalized and these "partners" are legal members of the city employee's family I have all kinds of problems with Happy Holiday's pandering. As I stated above, a whole bucket of worms is opened with this move, and with property taxes going up as they have yearly I just don't think the citizens of Greensboro can afford much more on their plate. I also see business taking this as just one more reason to avoid locating in Guilford County.
August 4th, 2006, 5:43 pm

The topic of providing health insurance benefits to gay or lesbian partners of city employees has been discussed on three blogs that I am aware of. But, all three got bogged down in the side issues of homosexuality and same sex marriage which , have nothing really to do with this particular issue. The issue is: who should be allowed to be included on the employees health insurance.

Eligibility now, and as has always been in the past, is simple: the only people eligible for coverage under the employees health insurance plan is the employees immediate family. That is, wife or husband and children to age 18 or 23 if in college. No aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws or parents because they are indeed family but not immediate family.

Now our esteemed Mayor Holiday is proposing to open this eligibility up to the : “partners” of gay and lesbian employees. Or, more accurately, to non-family individuals. Oh, there is a little clause thrown in that they must demonstrate that they are “committed” and “financially co-dependent”, but that does not address the real issue. No matter how “committed” or how “financially co-dependent” they may be they are still unrelated by the blood relationship of being siblings or by marriage which is the only two criteria that define “ immediate family”.

So what Holiday is proposing is opening the city’s obligation of employee health insurance coverage to a non-family entity, and by extended implication to virtually anyone the employee should wish to designate as a “dependent”. All of the named family members listed above and including friends neighbors and the man down the block! But the real kicker is that Mayor Holiday doesn’t need any city councilmen’s approval because once the budget is passed he can act on this on his own authority as mayor.

This extended coverage is not a novel idea either in the country or in North Carolina. ** “Greensboro would be the second city in the state to establish such a policy, after Durham, but the towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro were the first local governments to do so. Durham and Orange counties have also extended benefits to domestic partners. The legality of Chapel Hill and Carrboro's policies have been upheld by a superior court judge in Orange County but the law has not been tested by a court with statewide jurisdiction."

"The policies generally allow employees to add unmarried partners and their children to employer health plans and allow unmarried employees to take sick leave to care for their partner or family members. In the case of Chapel Hill, both same-sex and opposite-sex couples who live together in a relationship of indefinite duration, have an exclusive mutual commitment to each other and can demonstrate financial interdependence qualify for the benefits.”

Mayor holiday did not undertake this mission with out asking some questions and trying to get some clarification from the state for his proposal. His first question concerned the NC law banning co-habitation. It was settled when “a July 20 state court decision declaring North Carolina's 201-year ban on cohabitation to be unconstitutional. Citing a 2003 Supreme Court ruling that struck down a Texas sodomy law, State Superior Court Judge Benjamin Alford ruled that Debora Hobbs' constitutional rights were violated when the 911 dispatcher was fired from her job at the Pender County Sheriff's Office because she chose to live with her boyfriend.“

I have no idea what Texas law against sodomy has to do with a man and a woman living together and presumably having sex as normal men and women do. But, apparently SSC Judge Benjamin Alford sees a connection. Go figure. I truly believe that this ruling could successfully be challenged if anyone cared to do so. The fact is in our society today co-habitation without benefit of marriage is accepted so this ruling is not likely to be challenged.

At any rate, Mayor Holiday’s first concern was answered, but he now intends only to extend the coverage to same sex couples since opposite sex couples could get married and comply with the provisions if they want to. Like we all can really see how long that discriminatory stipulation holds. City Hall will erupt like Mount St. Helena! And well it should because once you open the doors and dispense with time honored two definitive aspects of family then you have made any and all relationships equally eligible. Just how many adults and children this will add to the tax payers burden is any body’s guess.

Of course being a careful fellow he did ask the State Attorney Generals office, "Would it be a violation of equal protection under the federal and state constitutions for the city of Greensboro to choose to offer domestic partner health benefits to same sex couples while denying the benefit to unmarried opposite sex couples." They refused to offer any guidance on this subject. But it really doesn’t matter because the outcry when any number of unmarried couples are excluded will be loud and clear.

So now we have breached the only barriers and definitions of family health care coverage to included persons and their children who are not related by blood or by marriage to the employees. There is absolutely nothing to stop the employee from placing anyone at all on his policy. He has merely to pay the premium for them and this would show a financial dependence. And if he continues this obligation of paying the premium for anyone’s insurance this would be all that was legally needed to show a commitment.

Oh ho, you say it is covered with the "live with" clause. What does "live with" really mean? in one space? or could paying as little as $1 a month on the rent and going over for dinner once a monthy qualify as "living with" granny and pops? and why shouldn't an employee be able to add a person he/she is having a long term affair with and their children? I think it is safe to say he/she certainly "sleeps" with the person and could eat in their residence and could pay that $1 per month rent.

What I am saying is that once you shatter the time honored definition of dependent or family relastionship then you open it up to a whole host of new configurations. This anyone is eligible for tax payer subsidized city employee health insurance. Aunts, uncles, cousins, kissin’ cousins, grand parents, parents and in-laws. Also conceiveable as eligible are neighbors, homeless people, orphans, friends and Joe the bartender at the employees favorite watering hole.

This is the real issue here folks! Not the pros and cons of same sex marriage or homosexuality or whether or not people need insurance because of the high cost of medical care, but this opening of a Pandora’s Box of more an higher expenses for the tax payers of Greensboro. I therefore must point out strongly that this is not a decision for Mayor Happy Holiday to make alone and we as tax payers should consider our obligations and just how much city tax burden we want to take on.

As for re-defining "family"; this is a matter for the courts, or more democratically the ballot box. And until "partners" are given the legal definition of family my rights as a tax payer are being violated when I am forced to pay for non-family members insurance. We as residents of Greensboro need to let Mayor Holiday know in no uncertain terms just how we feel about his proposed actions on this matter. Get on the phone to his office, e-mail him, write a letter to the Editor, the churches may want to gather their troops because of the assault on the institution of marriage that some have been concerned about. What ever you do, do something to assert your rights and protect yourself from this latest insanity of a totally out of touch with reality officialdom. BB

Original article;

**Greensboro to move forward on domestic partnership benefits
Jordan Green News editor http://www.yesweekly.com/

http://www.yesweekly.com/main.asp?Secti ... M=53023.68
August 8th, 2006, 5:30 pm
BrendaBee

I don't see how this can be run effectively without legal same-sex civil unions. There's no other simple way.

Could this be an attempt to open that door?
August 8th, 2006, 8:50 pm
Matt

I really don't know what is motivating Mayor Holiday, I just know his proposal is a very bad idea for all the reasons I state above. The issue of same sex civil unions is an issue apart and will have to be addressed I believe in the courts or the ballot box. I do believe that if it is put on the national ballot for a vote by the people to allow or disallow civil unions it would have a good chance of winning approval. If it goes thru the courts it will be like abortion and be fought forever. We Americans tend to accept majority rule and move on, but we hate a bunch of old men telling us what is what!
August 8th, 2006, 10:20 pm
BrendaBee

While it would be nice to be the new "Out & Proud" city of the South, I don't think Greensboro is there yet. When gay marriage becomes legal in this state, then we should start thinking we have something in common w/ San Fran.
May 17th, 2008, 9:22 pm
Em

Liv,

A billboard, a DJ and a blogger? Wow! What a hotbed of diversity. You are really disrespecting gay people with this frivilous article. Instead, maybe you should talk about how gays people must remain hidden because they fear for their safety.
August 11th, 2008, 5:30 am
observer229

We moved here from St. Petersburg Fl last year. My partner and I spent 5 years working on one of the fastest growing Pride Celebrations in the south (2007 sported 50,000 to 70,000 people on the street for the one day festival.) We tried to get involved in the Greensboro pride celebration. We tried to contact the organizers several times to volunteer and got less than a contact. The organizers didn't even take time to send ua a reminder e-mail the day of the event......

Greensboro will be the "Gay SF of the south" if and when they decide to come out of the closet.

Proud to be,
David and Robin
October 17th, 2008, 5:53 pm
avidren

I was wondering about the lack of "celebratory" festivals in Greensboro too. I know at least one local organization that does have a small get together and a "walk" around the block.... but a true to life parade... is something that would require a great deal of planning and money.... I'd love to see it though.
October 17th, 2008, 6:38 pm
Liv

and why is this so important right now?
October 18th, 2008, 1:44 am
angelo

I'll be happy to never see a gay pride celebration anywhere within a 1000 miles of Greensboro.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
October 18th, 2008, 8:08 am
BecauseHeLives

Now I've got to organize one....
October 18th, 2008, 10:02 am
Liv

You could get this guy to help organise...
GayTruck.jpg
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 18th, 2008, 10:28 am
A Person

Liv wrote:Now I've got to organize one....

You're groovy. :)

Durham has a Gay Pride celebration every September & Charlotte usually holds a Pride Fest during the summer each year. YIPPEE!
November 18th, 2008, 6:10 pm
lumieira

BecauseHeLives wrote:I'll be happy to never see a gay pride celebration anywhere within a 1000 miles of Greensboro.

I think they'll be happy if you don't see it too.
November 18th, 2008, 9:16 pm
A Person

Code: Select all
I'll be happy to never see a gay pride celebration anywhere within a 1000 miles of Greensboro.

Tons of them w/in a 1000 mile radius of Greensboro.
November 19th, 2008, 9:57 am
AceoStar

Better watch it.... If BHL starts analyzing exactly the percentage of people around him at this very moment whom doesn't share his sexual beliefs.... he'd run... run till he could run now more....
November 19th, 2008, 1:07 pm
Liv

Return to Greensboro