Advice
 | 
Life
 | 
Greensboro
 |  Secularity |  Blog

Carolina Circle Mall Tribute

by sLiPpY | Published on July 27th, 2011, 8:43 pm | Greensboro
 Billy Coore of McCleansville collects Carolina Circle Mall Memorabilia. He's put together an interesting blog to share his collection with the public.

2009 Article from the News & Record

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009 ... ircle_mall

Carolina Circle City Blogspot

http://ccmallcity.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... ircle.html

Greensboring.com's "A Last Ode to Carolina Circle Mall

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=769

Like many I went with my family on opening day in 1976. It was the only Ice Rink in Greensboro, and this nine year old's first attempt at a new life experience. During the late 1980's, the movie theatre ran the Rocky Horror Picture show late at night religiously. People would dress up in costumes and interact. On a summer break from college, I worked at Annabelle's waiting tables. The "yuppie" era had come to a close and "grunge" was emerging in Greensboro. The clientelle had fallen off, and a few were left who'd speak of the evenings when it was packed and "the" place to go. Even though I could have made more somewhere else; it was still a cool place and I enjoyed the view of the ice rink from the resturant windows.

Who could ever forget the hideous signature burnt orange carpet of Montgomery Wards?

Even on opening day, it was obvious the elements that would lead to the mall's eventual demise. The location was out of the way. The sewage treatment plant smelled bad. The architecture was dated, two years after it opened. It didn't feel like a safe area. But there was something about it, that made it a "good energy space." It had a whole different feel vs. other malls in the area.

There are a lot of dying or abandoned malls in America today. Carolina Circle and several other NC, and National Malls are featured at http://deadmalls.com/ It's interesting to think about a Mall as being a societal institution, just as surely as a church, a school, or any other structured activities people collectively gather together to do.

FYI Friendly Center almost became an enclosed Mall, and it's a very good thing they scrapped the renovation plans. Being public preference shifted back to the Shopping Center model.

I'd say the reason it failed was mostly dominated by its location. Let's be honest... most white people didn't go to "that" side of town.

IMHO, the first person to build a mall, and connect it to the coliseum wins.

Four seasons should build a Vegas style mono-rail connecting itself to the coliseum if it was smart. (and to downtown)
Liv
Just sit there and watch me!

Yes, indeed they built it on the wrong side of town. Same company from Atlanta also built Eastland Mall in Charlotte; with a similar level of dain bramage. '

I like your idea about connecting the mall and the coliseum and the mall and downtown. Monorails are awesome, or maybe even a Swiss style cable car?
sLiPpY

It's that whole center city thing.

When they ripped the roof off the coliseum, and double-decked it, they should have demolished the whole darn thing.... and built it downtown.

America's hubris is it's too spread out. Greensboro's problem is the same. If not now, or soon, eventually the cities that survive will be the ones which are compact, central, and have public transportation.

If the coliseum, and major shopping were downtown, and offered transportation to and from the airport, this city would be the most thriving city in NC.
Liv
Just sit there and watch me!

I would like to thank the Editor, for making the CCM Tribute a "pick."

Long of it short; I'd sent an email to Billy Coore letting him know his dedicated blog was being shared on Greensboring.com

Really super young adult, and a nice exchange.
sLiPpY