·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

News & Record's Wedding Contest, FRIENDLY to gays!!!!

by Liv | Published on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:19 pm | Greensboro
news_record_wedding_contest.jpg

News & Record's Wedding Contest, un-friendly to gays?

Certainly the verbiage they're using suggests that it is, though I await word from News & Record's editor, John Robinson for the official call on this one.

Both the prospective bride and groom write their love story and answer a few questions.

* Dawn’s Bridal for the gown;
* Letia’s Bridal for the tuxedo;

There's an assumption of a bride and groom, which seems offensive to me. If not on purpose they should alter their verbiage. Do they even have arrangements for two gowns, or two tuxes, if indeed they're even opening this contest to gays and lesbians?

I curiously await to hear on this one.

UPDATE:

John Robinson (Editor for News and Record) emailed me the following change:
Thanks for your feedback about inclusivity. It took a little longer than we would have liked because we needed to discuss it with the other “wedding” partners and then get the lawyer’s OK to change the rules after the contest started. (We're working on the webpage to eliminate that requirement and change some of the wording.)

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Or in this case - indifference.

Given that North Carolina has DOMA as state law you really cannot expect the News and Record to stake a position on something that is not legally permitted. Especially not for a contest.

State politicians should be the target of your efforts.
A Person

Not necessarily, there are many gays and lesbians who have married without the legal paperwork attached. I'm not suggesting it's necessary to change state or federal law, only be inclusive of all the readers in offering the wedding ceremony prize to everyone equally.
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

John replies:

Sorry, but a N.C. wedding license is required

Very sad. An atrociously discriminatory act upon their readers.
Liv

Understandable really. Otherwise there must be plenty of people who would team up for a fake ceremony just to get the prizes

* Schiffman’s Jewelry for the ring;
* Extra Ingredient for the wedding registry and china;
* Ashleigh’s Fine Paper for the wedding planning and invitations;
* Ollie’s Bakery for the cake;
* Dr. Mark Hyman for teeth whitening;
* Merle Norman for make-up;
* Dawn’s Bridal for the gown;
* Letia’s Bridal for the tuxedo;
* Plants and Answers for the flowers;
* AAA Travel for the honeymoon.
A Person

So what if they do? If they're willing to get married then let em.

Unfortunately I don't see BHL and Summy wet-kissing under a won ceremony professing their love just to get prizes though.
Liv

That's an image I'd like to erase. But Billybob and Tracey might just decide to fake a wedding for the goodies.
A Person

Liv wrote:John replies:

Sorry, but a N.C. wedding license is required

Very sad. An atrociously discriminatory act upon their readers.

Considering the economic climate in which they are operating, I should think that using a contest like this to make a political statement, with all the businesses that are involved... it would be very close to suicide. Give them a break, Liv -- they're under enough guns at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Bull, as much as I love John and the NR, this clearly is questionable legally.

Talked to Pam Spaulding who stated her and her partner participated in a similar contest for the N&O, but it included same sex couples.

I'm certain there is some sort of law that forbids rigged or biased contests, in which class this clearly a contest not equally and open to all.

Furthermore this is Greensboro, the city that had the bloody lunch counter sit-ins. Is the irony not so darn obvious it makes you want to slam your fist on the counters and say "WTFFF?"
Liv

The legality of the contest is not in doubt. It is the law prohibiting gay marriage that is the problem.

Contests can be restricted to certain groups, e.g. new students at a college, military vets, customers of a store, car drivers or holders of marriage licenses. It's the arbitrary and unconstitutional rules prohibiting membership in the group that is the issue.

When a case makes it to the Supreme Court, DOMA will be struck down since it is unconstitutional. That will happen soon. Even if he is unable to repeal DOMA, Obama has prevented the SCOTUS from drifting further into fundamentalist Christian territory with his appointment of two moderates. (Or as Summy would say "raging leftish loony, commie, moonbat, Nazis", since anyone left of Glenn Beck is a commie)
A Person

Here's Liv throwing around her "homo" discrimination card again. Ugh!
BecauseHeLives

Makes her sound almost Christian, doesn't it.
A Person

Well the good news is, thanks to this post, Pam, Matt and BlueNC... John has loosened his grip on the oppression of my people.

I hear you, Pam and ascensions. We and our partners talked about this issue as we were planning the wedding project. We knew it could be contentious. We decided to take a traditional approach to the wedding because we hadn't done this before and weren't sure how everything would work. As part of that, we settled on following the state laws as it applies to marriages.

But you raise good points. If a same-sex couple wants to have a commitment ceremony, I encourage them to send me an email at the address on this blog's home page and I'll make sure that the request will be considered.
Liv

Liv

Look for the sponsers to pull out now.

Perhaps the community can boycott those businesses until they do. I wonder if they even know yet. Hmmmm....
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:Perhaps the community can boycott those businesses until they do. I wonder if they even know yet. Hmmmm....
I bet you would try to organize a boycott too. It's the Christian way.
A Person

Actually there is some talk about the question of local business apart of the contest not aware it was open to all.

After all, we're talking about a possible litigious issue here. Several of the companies involved are known as gay friendly and members of the HRC, etc.

I like how Ed put it:

there are gay weddings in North Carolina, even if gay marriages are not yet recognized.
Liv

I think perhaps I was wrong. It seems that you have raised awareness a little bit. Good for you.
A Person

I'll admit I went to bed deeply upset last night. This and another situation which may or may not be news worthy has severely upset me.

It's times like that I lose faith in Ameri-humanity, and want to jump and start swimming....

...but seeing how it's taken off, and changed things, even just a little has left me feeling a 180 tonight.
Liv

Liv, et al,

Last night I sent letters to every sponsor asking for them to challenge the News And Record and this contest rule. I have received outstanding responses from many. They have said they were not privy to the contest rules prior to publishing and do not support the stand that the only heterosexual couples may apply.

All of the following sponsors have responded and said they would be following up with the N & R:

The Main Ingredient
Mark Hyman, DDS
Ashleigh's Fine Paper
Plants and Answers
Quaintance-Weaver Restaurants & Hotels (Proximity Hotel and Print Works Bistro)

I expect a change of heart from the N & R soon.

Thanks for your good work.
bco82

bco82 wrote:

Thank you. Wow. You made my day hearing that.
Liv

Worth re-posting a comment that came up on the NR Dream Wedding Contest thread:

Liv, et al.

Last night I sent letters to every sponsor asking for them to challenge the News And Record and this contest rule. I have received outstanding responses from many. They have said they were not privy to the contest rules prior to publishing and do not support the stand that the only heterosexual couples may apply.

All of the following sponsors have responded and said they would be following up with the N & R:

The Main Ingredient
Mark Hyman, DDS
Ashleigh's Fine Paper
Plants and Answers
Quaintance-Weaver Restaurants & Hotels (Proximity Hotel and Print Works Bistro)

I expect a change of heart from the N & R soon.

Amazing great work going on here!!!!!!
Liv

Liv wrote:
bco82 wrote:

Thank you. Wow. You made my day hearing that.

Great! I can add those businesses to my black list of places not visit.
BecauseHeLives

Liv you started a revolution :clap:
DeannaB

DeannaB wrote:Liv you started a revolution :clap:

Wonder if I can write about myself in World Civ now.....? :)

First Napoleon, then Liv, then the world!
Liv

BecauseHeLives wrote:Great! I can add those businesses to my black list of places not visit.

Great! Wal-Mart will appreciate you coming in more often!

people-of-walmart.jpg
Liv

Liv

It is unbelievable how you lack so much tolerance for those who don't conform to your views. Such hatred in your heart.
BecauseHeLives

Yes Liv, you should be tolerant of BHL's intolerance and hatred. He only wants to deprive gays of dignity and basic rights everyone takes for granted for their own good.
A Person

A Person wrote:Yes Liv, you should be tolerant of BHL's intolerance and hatred. He only wants to deprive gays of dignity and basic rights everyone takes for granted for their own good.

I'm sensing some intolerance on your part AP. Shame on you. You probably discriminate too. :cry:
BecauseHeLives