·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

My Kindergartner receives bill from W.F. Baptist Medical

by Liv | Published on September 24th, 2009, 2:23 pm | Greensboro
wake_forest_baptist_medical_physiscians.jpg

Dear Nutters in the Health Care Industry,

It's been about 6 months since I felt the way I did today. I remember the feelings like the day my company of 5 years refused to let me return to work after going out on medical leave. It turned out to be a good thing in the end, as they now pay me to not go to work, but today it all came flooding back to me when my daughter who is 5 years old receives a bill from Wake Forest Baptist Medical for $226 dollars. That's right my daughter, whom is in Kindergarten is now in debt and in the process of being sent to a collection agency for $226 dollars. What makes it worse is that this is for a procedure which health care paid for 2 years ago.... and is now just getting around to billing the health care company. Now when I called Kim over at Wake Forest Baptist Medical she informed me they can wait to bill their patients up to 7 years? What? That's like sending children bills for being born when they turn 18. I kindly explained that Ren has had the same insurance since she was born, and it has been in effect since the day she was born.

Kim didn't like this. She clearly has been in the routine of receiving irate calls, and has ceased all empathy. The process worsened when she wanted to put the bill in my name. She asks "What relationship are you to her?" I'm like, "I'm her mother", she's like "and who's this Shannon" we have her marked as her mother, and I'm like "That's her other mother." The line almost went dead as she tried to restrain herself from asking "Whose the legal mother?" To which I would have said "Go F yourself", but luckily it didn't go that far. You could tell that then, as it often does, she became quite prejudiced toward me.

I did advise her "Not to put the bill in my name" though I'm betting she did anyways though that would be a legal quagmire for them because Shannon is the one who filled out the paperwork that day. Apparently you can send anyone bill, and swap the names around, here in America. Especially if you claim to be Baptist. I'm sure a good number of wealthier people would have just paid it, but I don't have $200 for American medical companies to screw me out of.

I immediately ran in to Chances room, and punched Chance's punching bag till I sprang my wrist, then dove in bed and screamed, then cried. I'm having those feeling again where I feel like Alice in crackin nutter land and all you Americans are living in some parallel crackin universe where you can justify your crackin morality by screwing little girls. Either that or I'm going completely nuts, in which case it doesn't matter anyways because I can't get back through the looking glass, and can afford American crackin health care.

Where else in the world can a 4 year old girl who needs a crackin echo cardiogram hear "If you can't afford it then you shouldn't get the procedure." What the frak is wrong with all of you?

:shock:

Yeah... I got nuthin.... unreal.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
September 24th, 2009, 2:49 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

My niece started life with around $50,000 in bills. What with the air ambulance that took her from Cape Fear to Duke Medical Center, the 5 months in the neo-natal ICU, the eye surgeries... I never heard what eventually was done regarding all that expense, cause I really don't know whether her parents HAD insurance in those days.

I hope your situation gets ironed out. And regarding the bigotry about your family life -- screw 'em.
September 24th, 2009, 3:08 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
But where the bills in her name?

I didn't know they could even do that. I would have thought they'd come in Shannon or my name.... Not hers!
September 24th, 2009, 3:14 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:But where the bills in her name?

I didn't know they could even do that. I would have thought they'd come in Shannon or my name.... Not hers!

I'd leave the bill in her name. What are they gonna do Liv? So they put a bad debt in collections and on her credit file. Big deal, unsecured debt in NC has an SOL of 3 years and negative credit lines (other than BKs and judgements) only exist on a credit report for 7 years from delinquency date.

Legally they probably could put the bill it in yours or Shannon's name. Its not. Don't fret over it.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
September 24th, 2009, 4:39 pm
BecauseHeLives

They are just picking on your family because we all know the lavish lifestyle that is afforded a profesional bloger
September 24th, 2009, 8:33 pm
DeannaB

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Liv wrote:But where the bills in her name?

I'd leave the bill in her name. What are they gonna do Liv? So they put a bad debt in collections and on her credit file. Big deal, unsecured debt in NC has an SOL of 3 years and negative credit lines (other than BKs and judgements) only exist on a credit report for 7 years from delinquency date.

Legally they probably could put the bill it in yours or Shannon's name. Its not. Don't fret over it.

Wow... I find myself completely agreeing with everything bhl says here. :)
September 25th, 2009, 12:34 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

They may have already switched it for all I know... Kim shounded quite "Shifty"...

My hope is that they re-ran it through insurance and everything is good. Like I said... the kids have and have always had insurance.... and it was presented the day we arived, 2 years ago.... now we get a bill?

We shall see... Shannon had a similar situation with insurance where they billed her for 2 years because insurance denied her "female exam" because insurance didn't believe she was female. She's like, "Duh!, you have a crackin x-ray of my ovaries!"
September 25th, 2009, 2:12 pm
Liv

There is an error with that $226 bill.

Sure, doctors offices have X amount of time to bill you for procedures. That is the absolute truth.

However there is no-where on that bill that indicates that insurance has been filed. I'm all too familiar with WFUP billing and my insurance and I am matching up what Aetna has and what WFUP have and seeing if the two agree - which most of the time they do but there is no indication on that billing that insurance has been filed. This is also a first time billing - not an overdue one.

Call WFUP billing and ask them to file the appropriate insurance - again if needs be.

I have had WFUP have delayed billing before - 10 months in my case. They were correct about the procedure, it didn't get paid properly by insurance and was part of my deductible - so I paid up.

Of course the alternative is to just keep on ignoring the letters time and time again. If they get mean they can sue, summons your child (and in turn you) to court but for $226 most likely it'd get written off by them, sold to a debt collection agency, who will attempt to collect the debt for X years and then that's it... plus there's statute of limitations as well... so after X years it goes away anyway.
October 21st, 2009, 9:48 pm
mwooldri

I did call, the moment I got it, hope it's take care of....

I really do...

I asked how I would know if it has....

She says "Well if you don't get another bill."

We shall see... This is all I need right now.
October 22nd, 2009, 9:06 am
Liv

Return to Greensboro