·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Atheism = assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape?

by A Person | Published on May 16th, 2008, 11:20 am | Religion
Another Sociology professor comes up with a kooky theory.

Stark said lower rates of male religiousness is a form of risk-taking behavior just as criminality is, and men are far more likely to commit crimes than women.

"Any phenomenon that occurs in many and very different social and cultural settings necessitates explanations that are equally general, which tends to rule out most social and cultural factors," he wrote in the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion.

"Recent studies of biochemistry imply that both male irreligiousness and male lawlessness are rooted in the fact that far more males than females have an underdeveloped ability to inhibit their impulses, especially those involving immediate gratification and thrills."
"We looked for an obvious simple explanation, but nothing worked except physiology," said Stark. "People studying crime also have looked at socialization and they can't find a reason that explains the gender difference except a physiological one. Not being religious is similar to any other shortsighted, risky and impulsive behavior that some men – primarily young males – engage in, such as assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape."

So not only does atheism lead to the holocaust, now it's 'assault, robbery, burglary, murder and rape' too. I had better withhold my impulse to give this a$$hole a dope slap.

All science so far.

The reverse of that would be true also. Being religious would have to have a physiological basis as well.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you "choose" to respond to it.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote: If you believe things that are contradicted by the evidence, then you are on a path built on falsehoods.
May 16th, 2008, 11:38 am
RebelSnake

OK, this guy lost me at the very first sentence... "lower rates of male religiousness is a form of risk-taking behavior"? Sounds like he never bothered to analyze Pascal's Wager at all. Why anyone with this sort of attitude expects to be taken seriously is beyond me.
May 16th, 2008, 11:41 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
RE: the subject line-
All of them- before breakfast, and without even having messed up my manicure!
Who needs step aerobics when you've got the Atheism-workout?
"Those who embrace the deity of Christ rather than the morals of Christ are not religious…they are pseudo-religious and dangerous to our national interests.”
- Thomas Jefferson
May 16th, 2008, 12:34 pm
C. Alice

C. Alice wrote:RE: the subject line-

:lol: :lol: I just sprayed my drink...
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
May 16th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:

:lol: :lol: I just sprayed my drink...

I hear that is potentially bad for keyboards. :wink:
May 16th, 2008, 1:19 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I wish I had your energy :!: I have to split my workout into morning and afternoon. I prefer burglary in the afternoon so I can do the whole home invasion thing and take care of assault too.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
May 16th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

No no - you've got it all wrong - you can't plan your day - it's shortsighted, risky and impulsive behavior

You've got to rape an ugly, woman (or man) with a karate black belt on impulse. None of this planning. You have to borrow from the Christian worldview to plan things.

I never realized that not believing was such an immediately gratifying thrill. I'll have to not believe more often.
May 16th, 2008, 2:06 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:No no - you've got it all wrong - you can't plan your day - it's shortsighted, risky and impulsive behavior

You've got to rape an ugly, woman (or man) with a karate black belt on impulse. None of this planning. You have to borrow from the Christian worldview to plan things.

I never realized that not believing was such an immediately gratifying thrill. I'll have to not believe more often.

Me = pyro = arson. That's my impulsive behavior. :twisted:
May 16th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
A Person wrote:No no - you've got it all wrong - you can't plan your day - it's shortsighted, risky and impulsive behavior

Me = pyro = arson. That's my impulsive behavior. :twisted:

Doesn't count if all you burn is a bunch of marshmallows around a campfire!

IN A FIRE RING!

AT A CAMPGROUND IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA! :mrgreen:
May 16th, 2008, 2:48 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:Me = pyro = arson. That's my impulsive behavior. :twisted:

Doesn't count if all you burn is a bunch of marshmallows around a campfire!

IN A FIRE RING!

Pshaw! I didn't mean to burn the poison oak cuttings THAT close to your house.
May 16th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Doesn't count if all you burn is a bunch of marshmallows around a campfire!

IN A FIRE RING!

Pshaw! I didn't mean to burn the poison oak cuttings THAT close to your house.

<grumble!>
Me STILL itching ... Where's me Calomine? 8)
May 16th, 2008, 2:54 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

The leader of Greensboro's Bloods Gang used to live one block from my house until the morning his house burned. Shortly after I looked inside the house accompanied by his very unhappy landlord. Next to every bed in the house was a bible.
May 16th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Billy The Blogging Poet

Off topic, blame Billy the Blogging Poet!

*singing*
He walks downstairs, alone or in pairs
and utters rhyming words
He blogs, he blogs
he poetically blogs
It's Billy the Blogging Poet.

:roll:
:mrgreen:
May 16th, 2008, 8:45 pm
Serendipitous

Billy, before you ask, I'll tell you: We've been trying to do SOMETHING about Serendipitous for years, and nothing seems to work. 8) :lol:
May 17th, 2008, 3:11 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I'm planning on raping a few burgalers while murdering some of the religious right later today. Anyone else with me?
May 18th, 2008, 4:59 pm
GSOChick

GSOChick wrote:I'm planning on raping a few burgalers while murdering some of the religious right later today. Anyone else with me?

Yawn. That's so... last week.

Be a trendy a-lister with us - we're (me, SFI, nFidel, Serendipitous, Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton ) discussing the idea to go rob the Vatican bank and spend our ill-got gains on some bulldozers and other heavy demolition equipment.
We have some plans which involve the concept of " urban renewal" and the Bob Jones University's campus.

To conuterbalance our lives of atheistic crime, I also propose a service project- a pasta-relay to be held in downtown GSO. Start at a given point like the MLK medallion on MLK Boulevard, run to the nearest Elizabeth's, down a plate of penne/bucatelli/ziti or what have you and rthenun back to the MLK medallion and tag your next relay member. All monies raised go to the Flying Spaghetti Monster shrine and spiritual center to be built on the former site of Boh Jones U.

" She's kidding. Or IS she?"
May 18th, 2008, 9:42 pm
C. Alice

C. Alice wrote: Be a trendy a-lister with us - we're (me, SFI, nFidel, Serendipitous, Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton ) discussing the idea to go rob the Vatican bank and spend our ill-got gains on some bulldozers and other heavy demolition equipment.
We have some plans which involve the concept of " urban renewal" and the Bob Jones University's campus.

Yet ANOTHER reason for me to work on getting a current passport. :mrgreen:
May 19th, 2008, 1:57 pm
Serendipitous

C. Alice wrote: All monies raised go to the Flying Spaghetti Monster shrine and spiritual center to be built on the former site of Boh Jones U.

" She's kidding. Or IS she?"

All hail the FSM!!!
Attachments
n2204717621_30196.jpg
n2204717621_30196.jpg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 365 times
May 19th, 2008, 5:17 pm
RebelSnake

Serendipitous wrote:Me = pyro = arson. That's my impulsive behavior. :twisted:

This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
December 12th, 2010, 1:56 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Smoke inhalation from a BC Hydro grow-op fire it would seem

Foil over the windows and an interesting ride outside Street View

stewartAve.jpg
December 12th, 2010, 3:16 pm
A Person

You know, the limo really sells it.
December 12th, 2010, 5:41 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

HA! I forgot about this thread. I have a whole bunch of wooden matches...
December 12th, 2010, 10:29 pm
Serendipitous

Return to Religion