·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

All Religions are Fairy Tales?

by Liv | Published on March 29th, 2008, 3:46 pm | Religion
all_religions_are_fairy_tales_billboard.jpg

All right, who stole my idea for a offensive billboard?

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- It looked harmless enough, but the words on a billboard un-nerved so many people that a popular restaurant nearby actually lost business.

The billboard was on Colonial Drive near the Old Cheney Highway. Although the popular Straub's Seafood restaurant often advertises on it, this wasn't their billboard. The sign was taken down after Channel 9 started asking questions.

The billboard came down around 4:00 Friday afternoon and nearby business owners are relieved. Straub's restaurant can replace the sign with the night's specials.

At first glance the sign looked like a children's cartoon, but the message next to the fairy princess stirred emotions.

"When you condemn all religions and say they are a fairytale that is wrong," said Rich Stormes, a nearby business owner.

The billboard went up a week before Easter and business at the restaurant went down.

"Easter Sunday is usually a busy good day," said John Russel, an employee at Straub's. "Easter Sunday business was down by two thirds."

Since it's so close, John Russel's customers thought the restaurant paid for the billboard. To clear any confusion up, Russel put up a sign of his own and called MediaNet, the company who owns the billboard.

"It's been causing us some problem. I think it's causing a bit of controversy city wide. People have been contacting the media," Russel added.

MediaNet said it had no idea the sign was there and someone put it up illegally in the middle of the night.

Nearby business owners said they weren't buying it.

"They should have known what was going up on the billboard. He should proof it. He had to proof it," Stormes stated.

The billboard rents for $1,400 a month. If an anti-religious group paid to rent it legitimately there is not telling how long it would have been up.

Orange County does not regulate messages on billboards. They are protected by free speech.

Interesting story. Food for thought, certainly.

I've long wondered how much billboards cost to rent. That'd be an interesting business to get into. Very little maintenance cost and rather variable cash flow.

But my ideas about billboards are perhaps a little different. First, I appreciate that something controversial could harm nearby businesses, so you'd need to choose one that was only near a church, I think.

My version would be an all-white board with black lettering, and it would use one of a list of quotes from actual people on the subject of religion. I think the contrast between that and those insipid white lettering on black background "God says..." billboards would be most memorable.
March 29th, 2008, 6:09 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Rich Stormes wrote:When you condemn all religions and say they are a fairytale that is wrong.

It might be upsetting to people who have built their lives around one religion or another -- but it is NOT "wrong." Not in the sense of it being "incorrect," at least. :roll:
March 29th, 2008, 6:13 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
And to think, religions teach, "the truth shall set you free" but when someone puts up a billboard with the truth on it the religious get all worked up.
March 29th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Billy The Blogging Poet

Billy The Blogging Poet wrote:And to think, religions teach, "the truth shall set you free" but when someone puts up a billboard with the truth on it the religious get all worked up.

Amen. Yet I should not be offended if my landscape is cluttered with gospel spouting billboards? I have to tolerate the public display of their crap but they shouldn't reciprocate ? Screw that.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. -- Albert Camus

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
-- John Steinbeck
March 30th, 2008, 3:08 pm
The Rain King

Those sneaky atheists, running round and posting huge billboards when no one is looking :roll:
Orange County does not regulate messages on billboards. They are protected by free speech.
MediaNet however do regulate messages on their billboards - as do most billboard owners.

When the freedom From Religion group posted this advert
the billboard company (in this case Kegerreis Outdoor Advertising) claimed it was not in keeping with the "values or morals of our company" and shortly after placed this one instead:
Now that's so much more moral and tolerant.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
March 30th, 2008, 3:34 pm
A Person

Return to Religion