·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Comparing Jesus to Horus

by Liv | Published on July 14th, 2007, 10:14 pm | Religion
300px-Horus_3.jpg
300px-Horus_3.jpg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 14994 times

Was Jesus and Horus the same person or God? Was the similarities just a coincidence? This is what I love about mythology, and if there was ever justification for my belief that Christianity is merely a revised version of Egyptian religion, I'd say this is it:

1. Both were conceived of a virgin.

2. Both were the "only begotten son" of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)

3. Horus's mother was Meri, Jesus's mother was Mary.

4. Horus's foster father was called Jo-Seph, and Jesus's foster father was Joseph.

5. Both foster fathers were of royal descent.

6. Both were born in a cave (although sometimes Jesus is said to have been born in a stable).

7. Both had their coming announced to their mother by an angel.

8. Horus; birth was heralded by the star Sirius (the morning star). Jesus had his birth heralded by a star in the East (the sun rises in the East).

9. Ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Modern Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25.

10. Both births were announced by angels (this si nto the same as number 7).

11. Both had shepherds witnessing the birth.

12. Horus was visited at birth by "three solar deities" and Jesus was visited by "three wise men".

13. After the birth of Horus, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. After the birth of Jesus, Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.

14. To hide from Herut, the god That tells Isis, "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." To hide from Herod, an angel tells Joseph to "arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."

15. When Horus came of age, he had a special ritual where hsi eye was restored. When Jesus (and other Jews) come of age, they have a special ritual called a Bar Mitzvah.

16. Both Horus and Jesus were 12 at this coming-of-age ritual.

17. Neither have any official recorded life histories between the ages of 12 and 30.

18. Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus. Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan.

19. Both were baptized at age 30.

20. Horus was baptized by Anup the Baptizer. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.

21. Both Anup and John were later beheaded.

22. Horus was taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Set. Jesus was taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Satan.

23. Both Horus and Jesus successfully resist this temptation.

24. Both have 12 disciples.

25. Both walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, and restored sight to the blind.

26. Horus "stilled the sea by his power." Jesus commanded the sea to be still by saying, "Peace, be still."

27. Horus raised his dead father (Osiris) from the grave. Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave. (Note the similarity in names when you say them out loud. Further, Osiris was also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew, which is El-Asarus in Latin.)

28. Osiris was raised in the town of Anu. Lazarus was raised in Livanu (literally, "house of Anu").

29. Both gods delivered a Sermon on the Mount.

30. Both were crucified.

31. Both were crucified next to two thieves.

32. Both were buried in a tomb.

33. Horus was sent to Hell and resurrected in 3 days. Jesus was sent to Hell and came back "three days" later (although Friday night to Sunday morning is hardly three days).

34. Both had their resurrection announced by women.

35. Both are supposed to return for a 1000-year reign.

36. Horus is known as KRST, the anointed one. Jesus was known as the Christ (which means "anointed one").

37. Both Jesus and Horus have been called the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, and the winnower.

38. Both are associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces (the fish).

39. Both are associated with the symbols of the fish, the beetle, the vine, and the shepherd's crook.

40. Horus was born in Anu ("the place of bread") and Jesus was born in Livlehem ("the house of bread").

41. "The infant Horus was carried out of Egypt to escape the wrath of Typhon. The infant Jesus was carried into Egypt to escape the wrath of Herod. Concerning the infant Jesus, the New Testament states the following prophecy: 'Out of Egypt have I called my son.'" (See Point 13)

42. Both were transfigured on the mount.

43. The catacombs of Rome have pictures of the infant Horus being held by his mother, not unlike the modern-day images of "Madonna and Child."

44. Noted English author C. W. King says that both Isis and Mary are called "Immaculate".

45. Horus says: "Osiris, I am your son, come to glorify your soul, and to give you even more power." And Jesus says: "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once."

46. Horus was identified with the Tau (cross).

Horus was the son of Osiris and Isis. Osiris father was Seb.

Osiris was cut into 12 pieces by Set and the bits thrown in the Nile. Isis sewed him back together and made him into a mummy - she resurrected him not Horus. Horus was born sometime later. It all sounds suitably religious.

While Christianity has many remarkable similarities with other pre-existing religions, most of this list seems contrived.
July 14th, 2007, 11:12 pm
A Person

Yeah, sorry Liv - you're being way too uncritical here. I'd like to see how many of those items you can actually find a legitimate source for. I can't find any mention for a large portion of them. Others, such as the December birthday, even if true are irrelevant, since Dec. 25 was a later addition to Christianity and has nothing to do with the original stories about Jesus.
July 15th, 2007, 12:14 am
PotatoStew

I would like to see the sources for a lot of that. Some of it seems way off. I think this link is a little bit better and more factually correct at showing the similarities between the christ figure and the pegan gods: http://www.truthbeknown.com/origins4.htm

Although there is a much better one on the web, I simply cant find it and don't have the time to go looking right now.
July 15th, 2007, 8:12 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

satan is a great deceiver, in the ancient times is not possible for him to create a civilization or a written history where in the future it will use to confuse people. PEOPLE OF GOD BE STILL!
December 13th, 2007, 6:37 am
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:satan is a great deceiver, in the ancient times is not possible for him to create a civilization or a written history where in the future it will use to confuse people. PEOPLE OF GOD BE STILL!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Know what this post reminds me of?? Ever see Super Troopers?

""Well, basically the Butler is saying to Johannes Chimpo 'Don't let the Great Satan tempt you with the Western culture. You must remain true to the Taliban warlord.'""
December 13th, 2007, 7:40 am
Sanjuro

I'm going to write a book, and call it "Everything I ever needed to know about religion, I learned from Stargate."
December 13th, 2007, 8:56 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:I'm going to write a book, and call it "Everything I ever needed to know about religion, I learned from Stargate."

"Hallowed are the Greensborings"
December 13th, 2007, 9:11 am
Sanjuro

I just wish I could find that History channel episode that layed it all out... Where it shows the parallels between Zeus, God, Ra, etc... and that they're all the same...

That was a great episode. Probably got destroyed because of the complaints.
December 13th, 2007, 9:16 am
Liv

evilLiv wrote:Was Jesus and Horus the same person or God?

Here is your answer:
http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html

From our conference speaker. Were you too busy to come, attend and ask the question? Intimidated by public appearances? Shy?

:?

Sterling
December 14th, 2007, 8:08 pm
royaldiadem

So Royal D thinks the egyptian beliefs had no influence over Christianity? Christianity is a completely "new" way of looking at things, and it's just coencidence that previous religions had simular or exact stories as does christianity?
December 14th, 2007, 9:09 pm
Liv

I have to agree with RD on this one. It's not that Christianity hasn't borrowed themes, ideas, myths, ceremonies from other religions (that's indisputable), but that the parallels with Horus listed above just don't match up with what's recorded about Horus.
December 14th, 2007, 10:01 pm
A Person

Liv wrote:So Royal D thinks the egyptian beliefs had no influence over Christianity? Christianity is a completely "new" way of looking at things, and it's just coencidence that previous religions had simular or exact stories as does christianity?

copy cat :lol:

Sterling
December 15th, 2007, 10:50 am
royaldiadem

A Person wrote:parallels with Horus listed above just don't match up with what's recorded about Horus.

thanks. That is the issue,

Sterling
December 15th, 2007, 10:52 am
royaldiadem

So the Jesus character is not derived from the Horus character? Then who was Jeusus derived from?

Royal D: No need to answer this one... I know your answer.
December 15th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:So the Jesus character is not derived from the Horus character? Then who was Jeusus derived from?

Ok.... then I'll take it. Jesus was derived from God the Father with some help from the Holy Spirit. His coming was foretold numerous times in the old testament. Jesus is real and is not a "character".

Glad I could help ya Liv!
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
December 15th, 2007, 12:52 pm
BecauseHeLives

Liv wrote:Then who was Jeusus derived from?

So why ask?

Jesus the Man. John: 1:14 "Only begotten of the Father".

Couldn't resist.
Sterling
December 15th, 2007, 1:45 pm
royaldiadem

It's funny how christians view this. They usually come up with a silly excuse like, "the devil did it." This evidence proves without a doubt the bible is full of myths and legends. There were religions before christanity, and all of the practices and rituals mentioned in the christian faith were practiced before christanity even originated. Jesus never was.

Jesus existed between the years of 4 A.D and 34 A.D. The first gospels of John were written in 70 A.D.
Think about the time difference. 40 years went by before the first gospels were written. If jesus performed all these miracles that surprised everyone, then why didn't John write the bible during Jesus' life time?

We aren't exactly sure what happened between 34 A.D and 70 A.D, but we are sure that Jesus is a pagan myth and his character descriped in the bible is an accumulation of characters from the egyptian gods.

All of christanity is recyled version of past religions. Everything in The New Testament was already practiced, but way long before Jesus existed. There were many Egyptian gods who performed miracles, walked on water, healed the sick, claimed to be the son of god, and rose people from the dead.

Just combine all the greek and egyptian gods together, and you got Jesus.

IF jesus existed, which I highly doubt, then he was a prophet just like Muhammad and Buddah.
But he wasn't the son of any god, and he's not the only person who performed miracles and healed the sick.

The Old Testament is scientifically proven and is strongly supported by many scientist. The only part in the old testament that is doubted by science is the creation story, but everything else is scientificlly accuate.
April 7th, 2008, 12:19 pm
jacobb

jacobb wrote:The Old Testament is scientifically proven and is strongly supported by many scientist. The only part in the old testament that is doubted by science is the creation story, but everything else is scientifically accurate.

Your information is inaccurate. Nearly everything contained in the "history" sections of the OT has been shown by archaeological findings to be exaggerated or complete myths. Check out "The View From Nebo" for a good summary of the state of the science.
April 9th, 2008, 9:32 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Where does it say that Horus had 12 followers or disciples. It is not in any ancient text I have seen.
I think he actually had 14 followers. Neither was Horus crucified either. Some of your "facts" look like they are taken from "The Greatest Story Ever Sold", - a non-scholarly source.
September 10th, 2008, 3:12 am
John W.

jacobb wrote:It's funny how christians view this. They usually come up with a silly excuse like, "the devil did it." This evidence proves without a doubt the bible is full of myths and legends. There were religions before christanity, and all of the practices and rituals mentioned in the christian faith were practiced before christanity even originated. Jesus never was.

Jesus existed between the years of 4 A.D and 34 A.D. The first gospels of John were written in 70 A.D.
Think about the time difference. 40 years went by before the first gospels were written. If jesus performed all these miracles that surprised everyone, then why didn't John write the bible during Jesus' life time?

We aren't exactly sure what happened between 34 A.D and 70 A.D, but we are sure that Jesus is a pagan myth and his character descriped in the bible is an accumulation of characters from the egyptian gods.

All of christanity is recyled version of past religions. Everything in The New Testament was already practiced, but way long before Jesus existed. There were many Egyptian gods who performed miracles, walked on water, healed the sick, claimed to be the son of god, and rose people from the dead.

Just combine all the greek and egyptian gods together, and you got Jesus.

IF jesus existed, which I highly doubt, then he was a prophet just like Muhammad and Buddah.
But he wasn't the son of any god, and he's not the only person who performed miracles and healed the sick.

The Old Testament is scientifically proven and is strongly supported by many scientist. The only part in the old testament that is doubted by science is the creation story, but everything else is scientificlly accuate.

Unfortunately for your argument, most scholars agree that John's gospel was one of the latter books of the Christian testament. Paul's writings date within 15 years of Jesus death. Most scholars argue that Mark was the earliest of the gospels. These were codified as the witnesses to Jesus life began to die. The impact of the "Christos" is seen throughout Roman history. To deny that something happened involving some historical being denies basic common sense. To each his own. By the way, who is this "we" you keep referring to? By that I mean as in "we are sure that Jesus is a pagan myth and his character descriped in the bible is an accumulation of characters from the egyptian gods." Can you site on legitimate scholar who would agree?
November 5th, 2008, 10:11 pm
RevsR75

http://www.thedevineevidence.com/jesus_ ... ities.html

Let's do more research before we believe what modern people say about stuff that happened 2000 years ago. Sometimes modern people like to think that people 2000 years ago were stupid. What - you think they didn't have Egyptologists back then to say "hang on - wait a minute!", and the stories of Horus were amazingly lost until recent times for recent scientists to say "hang on - wait a minute!" ?? I don't think so.

The people 2000 years ago had the greatest chance ever (given it was current events) to debunk Christ, but they couldn't.
March 1st, 2009, 2:00 am
What if what we know of Horus is based on text written after the Bible?

Horus's mother was Isis your whole argument ends there. Jesus is more like Buddah in their teachings. And here is the acount of his birth that has more to do with necrophilia than virginity.
..Horus was NOT born of a virgin at all. Indeed, one ancient Egyptian relief depicts this conception by showing his mother Isis in a falcon form, hovering over an erect phallus of a dead and prone Osiris in the Underworld (EOR, s.v. "Phallus").

Indeed, the description of the conception of Horus will show exactly the sexual elements that characterize pagan 'miracle births', as noted by the scholars earlier:

"But after she [i.e., Isis] had brought it [i.e. Osiris' body] back to Egypt, Seth managed to get hold of Osiris's body again and cut it up into fourteen parts, which she scattered all over Egypt. Then Isis went out to search for Osiris a second time and buried each part where she found it (hence the many tombs of Osiris tht exist in Egypt). The only part that she did not find was the god's *****, for Seth had thrown it into the river, where it had been eaten by a fish; Isis therefore fashioned a substitute ***** to put in its place. She had also had sexual intercourse with Osisis after his death, which resulted in the conception and birth of his posthumous son, Harpocrates, Horus-the-child. Osiris became king of the netherworld, and Horus proceeded to fight with Seth..." [CANE:2:1702; emphasis mine] [BTW, the Hebrew word 'satan' is not a 'cognate' of the name 'seth' by any means: "The root *STN is not evidenced in any of the cognate languages in texts that are prior to or contemporary with its occurrences in the Hebrew Bible" DDD, s.v. 1369f]
OH I almost forgot......................You sir are a moron.believe whatever you want if you have to lie to prove you point do you actually have one? (the answer is no just in case you are too stupid to figure that out.
Your Friendly neighborhood Christian Buddist
Bod
August 12th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Bodwulf

Bodwulf wrote:OH I almost forgot......................You sir are a moron.believe whatever you want if you have to lie to prove you point do you actually have one? (the answer is no just in case you are too stupid to figure that out.
Your Friendly neighborhood Christian Buddist
Bod

Whoa. Christian Buddhist with an attitude. I like it!
:lol:
August 13th, 2009, 6:06 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Your Horus research is forced and out of context. You need footnotes to give this any weight whatsoever.
October 9th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Return to Religion