·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

The Gospel

by royaldiadem | Published on June 10th, 2010, 7:02 am | Religion
Have you read and reacted to the The Gospel?

" 1 Corinthians 15:
1Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; 8and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. 9For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me. 11Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

12Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.

20But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming, 24then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 25For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy that will be abolished is death. 27For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET. But when He says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him. 28When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

29Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them? 30Why are we also in danger every hour? 31I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 32If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, LET US EAT AND DRINK, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE. 33Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.” 34Become sober-minded as you ought, and stop sinning; for some have no knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

35But someone will say, “How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?” 36You fool! That which you sow does not come to life unless it dies; 37and that which you sow, you do not sow the body which is to be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of something else. 38But God gives it a body just as He wished, and to each of the seeds a body of its own. 39All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish. 40There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is one, and the glory of the earthly is another. 41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; 43it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual. 47The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second man is from heaven. 48As is the earthy, so also are those who are earthy; and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly. 49Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.

50Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. 55“O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; 57but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord. "

"Acts 2
37Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brethren, what shall we do?” 38Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39“For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself.” 40And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation!” 41So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. 42They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. "

The principle of Biblical Hermaneutics demands that the reader extract from the text the author's original intent and then either accept as truth or reject as truth. These are the general principles of Biblical Hermaneutics:

SIMPLE RULES FOR UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE INSPIRATION: It is the written Word that is inspired and not the writers. They were not inspired to write, but were moved to write the inspired Word. The source is always God. He "breathed out (theopnuma) the Word". I Tim 3:16

REVELATION: God revealed His truth in many ways. Through Dreams, Visions, Handwriting, direct speaking, the Holy Spirit, etc Heb. 1:1

MOTIVATION: The Holy Spirit moved upon the writers of the Word to write. He did not dictate the very words used, but so moved upon them that they would choose the proper word out of their vocabulary. Luke, the Doctor, often uses medical terms (prognosis - to foreknow Rom. 8:20) II Pet. 1:21 Sometimes the writers themselves did not understand what they had written Dan. 12:8,9; I Pet. 1:10

PRESERVATION: God preserves, for us, throughout the ages, His Word. Although we do not have any original manuscripts God preserves His Word so that each generation has a reliable record Matt . 5:18

UNDERSTANDING: To understand God's Word three things are necessary;
1st: Salvation I Cor. 2:14 a
2cd: Study II Tim. 2:15
3rd: Surrender Jo. 7:17

1. Anthropomorphism - Deity seeming to take on human form, or body parts: Ex. 31:18 the "....finger ..." Deut. 32:10 "...the apple of His eye..."

2. The Language of accommodation - God speaking in such a way that humans understand the idea, He uses human understanding: Josh. 10:12"...sun stand thou still..."

3. Hebrew Poetry -Proverbs: Some in Parallelism - stating a truth in two parallel statements; Prov. 8:5 Some in antithesis - stating a positive then a negative; Prov. 11:27

4. Coopers Rule of Interpretation: When the plain sense makes common sense, seek no other sense. Take every word at it's primary, ordinary, usual meaning unless the context indicates otherwise.

5. The Rule of "First Mention" - when an idea, word, subject is first used in scripture, it generally controls it's interpretation in following passages. i.e. Acts 2:4 "tongues" are obviously unlearned known languages so the " "unknown " (not in the original Greek) languages of I Cor. 14:2 Are the same as in Acts.

6. Scripture is best Interpreted by Scripture: The New Testament is in the Old Testament concealed and the Old Testament is in the New Testament revealed Isa. 7:14 cf. Matt. 1:23

7. The Rule of Context: - Interpret the Word by the text immediately before and after the verse being studied. The Mormons use I Cor 8:5b "(...there be many Gods...)" to support their false doctrine of polytheism.

8. The Rule of Logic: - Does the interpretation make logical sense Jo. 10:7 Jesus said "...I am the door...". Is Jesus a literal door?

9. Interpret the Unclear in light of the Clear: The interpretation of difficult verses must never violate nor contradict clear passages. There are no contradictions in God's Word.

10. Interpreting Parables: Interpret parables carefully. They generally have but one meaning. Don't make a parable "walk on all fours"

11. One Interpretation Many Applications: for all scripture.

12. Grammatical/Historical: Interpret all Scripture by the rules of grammar and in it's historical setting. What did it mean then, what does it mean to us today?

13. ESSENTIALS: Everything Essential in Scripture is clearly revealed.

14. Ignorance as to the meaning of some passages must be admitted. "If you don't know, say so!"

The question for the reader is which of the two options have you chosen?
For what reason?

Sterling

May Jesus Christ grant repentance and forgiveness to you. In the meantime:
"1Timothy 2 if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, 26and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will. "

Did you have any comments of your own to make on this or discuss? If you have personal interpretation you want to expand on that's fine, If not I am deleting the topic.

Simply copying and pasting a block of text from a book has no point. its not news and not topical without commentary. Anyone who wants to read the Bible (or"the Origin of the Species" or "See Spot, See Spot Run" for that matter) can go and do that at their own leisure.

I'll give you 3 hours to respond.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
June 10th, 2010, 11:49 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:Did you have any comments of your own to make on this or discuss? If you have personal interpretation you want to expand on that's fine, If not I am deleting the topic.

Simply copying and pasting a block of text from a book has no point. its not news and not topical without commentary. Anyone who wants to read the Bible (or"the Origin of the Species" or "See Spot, See Spot Run" for that matter) can go and do that at their own leisure.

Respectfully,... this is a subject for discussion, it is an opportunity for just that. If you choose to exercise your editorial priviliges, that will demonstrate an editorial bias that will infer an unwillingness to deal with the Bible.
June 10th, 2010, 12:39 pm
royaldiadem

royaldiadem wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:Did you have any comments of your own to make on this or discuss? If you have personal interpretation you want to expand on that's fine, If not I am deleting the topic.

Respectfully,... this is a subject for discussion, it is an opportunity for just that. If you choose to exercise your editorial priviliges, that will demonstrate an editorial bias.

Where is this a subject for discussion? You have posted no opinion or thought to discuss. Simply posting quotes from a book with no context doesn't belong here. The only editorial bias I am demonstrating is the bias towards a functional forum. This is the equivalent of shouting quotes from a bullhorn. That isn't discussion. Please edit your original post to fit the format of this venue where it might actually spark something worthwhile to others. Thanks!
June 10th, 2010, 12:47 pm
Sanjuro

royaldiadem wrote:

Respectfully,... this is a subject for discussion, it is an opportunity for just that. If you choose to exercise your editorial priviliges, that will demonstrate an editorial bias that will infer an unwillingness to deal with the Bible.

RD, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you provide commentary on the quote that you posted. Considering the bible is a variety of flavors and subject to interpretation, how else will you ensure that readers understand your point of posting? And from there, others can engage in whatever discussion or debate.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
June 10th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Serendipitous wrote:
royaldiadem wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:cut,,...... I'll give you 3 hours to respond.

RD, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you provide commentary on the quote that you posted. Considering the bible is a variety of flavors and subject to interpretation, how else will you ensure that readers understand your point of posting? And from there, others can engage in whatever discussion or debate.

thanks! edited to make a question for discussion.
June 10th, 2010, 1:14 pm
royaldiadem

Sanjuro wrote:Clip,..Please edit your original post to fit the format of this venue where it might actually spark something worthwhile to others. Thanks!

Done! Thanks for the opportunity to correct.

Sterling
June 10th, 2010, 1:15 pm
royaldiadem

royaldiadem wrote:For what reason?

You can't handle reason

Martin Luther wrote:Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God

Martin Luther wrote:Reason is the Devil’s greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil’s appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom… Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism… She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets.

Royal Diadem wrote:If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
June 10th, 2010, 5:28 pm
A Person

Why are you trolling, Sanjuro? Especially, If you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
June 10th, 2010, 11:20 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:

Why are you trolling, Sanjuro? Especially, If you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.

If you have nothing to add or discuss with royaldiadem on this topic, dont post. Please stay clear of moderation discussion that doesnt pertain to you. Please stay on topic.
June 10th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

If you have nothing to add or discuss with royaldiadem on this topic, dont post. Please stay clear of moderation discussion that doesnt pertain to you. Please stay on topic.

Stay on topic? Like this post of yours? You could have sent this in an instant message. :o

RD brings you the gospel and you want him to commentate on it? No you don't. You want to argue with him. What he provided speaks for itself and none of the words need be defended.
June 10th, 2010, 11:36 pm
BecauseHeLives

F
BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:[quote="BecauseHeLives]

Why are you trolling, Sanjuro? Especially, If you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.[/quote]

If you have nothing to add or discuss with royaldiadem on this topic, dont post. Please stay clear of moderation discussion that doesnt pertain to you. Please stay on topic.[/quote]

:naughty:
Stay on topic? Like this post of yours? You could have sent this in an instant message.

RD brings you the gospel and you want him to commentate on it? No you don't. You want to argue with him. What he provided speaks for itself and none of the words need be defended.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Dont make this about me. Please stop deflecting from the poster's original thread. I asked him to edit the original post publicly to set expectation in an open capacity, which to his credit he did. Please respond in regards to the point of the author's post or cease.
June 10th, 2010, 11:47 pm
Sanjuro

~moderator hat on~

Thanks to:

-RD for updating your post.
-AP for staying on topic.
-Sanj and BHL for clarifying about moderating and PMing so the rest of us will stay on topic.

With that said, I anticipate the rest of this thread will be discussion about "The Gospel" and other discussions will either be via PM or a new thread.
June 11th, 2010, 6:52 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Sanjuro wrote:F
BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:[quote="BecauseHeLives]

Why are you trolling, Sanjuro? Especially, If you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.[/quote]

If you have nothing to add or discuss with royaldiadem on this topic, dont post. Please stay clear of moderation discussion that doesnt pertain to you. Please stay on topic.[/quote]

:naughty:
Stay on topic? Like this post of yours? You could have sent this in an instant message.

RD brings you the gospel and you want him to commentate on it? No you don't. You want to argue with him. What he provided speaks for itself and none of the words need be defended.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Dont make this about me. Please stop deflecting from the poster's original thread. I asked him to edit the original post publicly to set expectation in an open capacity, which to his credit he did. Please respond in regards to the point of the author's post or cease.[/quote]

I did respond to the OP's comments. Maybe you should read the entire post before you make accusations.
June 11th, 2010, 8:30 am
BecauseHeLives

The question for the reader is which of the two options have you chosen?
For what reason?

Forgive me, but what are the two options?
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.

Dick Werthimer
June 11th, 2010, 11:13 am
eddiebuckle

A Person wrote:You can't handle reason

You've attacked me personally instead of answering a clear question with sufficient context for no misunderstanding using a secondary definition instead of a primary. So here is some help for you;

1 a : a statement offered in explanation or justification*

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reason
June 11th, 2010, 11:31 am
royaldiadem

eddiebuckle wrote:Forgive me, but what are the two options?

1) as you said above "Forgive me" (expressing God given repentance and Faith in Jesus Christ)
2) not asking for forgiveness and knowingly suppressing the Truth in unrighteousness Romans 1:18-19

to make it easier, just refer to

and then give a reason for (justify) your decision.

Thanks!
June 11th, 2010, 11:35 am
royaldiadem

Oh - well, that's a bit restrictive but here's my answer:

1. No
2. No

Reason: I view the bible as a sacred text, but only one source of knowledge of the Divine. I respect that others believe that the Bible is The Word of God and hope that they can return the favor in light of the fact that I do not agree.
June 11th, 2010, 11:59 am
eddiebuckle

royaldiadem wrote:

You've attacked me personally instead of answering a clear question with sufficient context for no misunderstanding using a secondary definition instead of a primary. So here is some help for you;

I don't think he did attack you. He clearly showed examples of why (by what the founder of the protestant faith you adhere to said) you cannot (as in "aren't allowed to", not "being incapable of") handle reason.

A person, if you care to clarify?
June 11th, 2010, 12:06 pm
Sanjuro

royaldiadem wrote:

I said "you can't handle reason" based on experience with previous posts. As soon as reason is used you quote a bible passage than denies the validity of it thus ending any reasoned discussion.

My reasons are based on reason not faith.

royaldiadem wrote:1) as you said above "Forgive me" (expressing God given repentance and Faith in Jesus Christ)
2) not asking for forgiveness and knowingly suppressing the Truth in unrighteousness Romans 1:18-19

If I suppress truth then I would ask forgiveness from the people who might have been mislead or directly affected.

Going back to your first question:

royaldiadem wrote:The principle of Biblical Hermaneutics(sic) (Hermeneutics) demands that the reader extract from the text the author's original intent and then either accept as truth or reject as truth.

The bible is a collection of stories some of which may have some truth (correspondence with reality) but mostly are fables and legends. While it can be useful as a historical indicator of societal values of the time and locale, it is at best irrelevant and at worst dangerous.

Since the bible has been interpreted in different ways by different sects, and at different times, any truths extracted from it are demonstrably subjective. The very use of the word hermeneutics i.e. interpretation shows it to be subjective.
June 11th, 2010, 1:34 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:
royaldiadem wrote:

I said "you can't handle reason" based on experience with previous posts. As soon as reason is used you quote a bible passage than denies the validity of it thus ending any reasoned discussion.

My reasons are based on reason not faith.

royaldiadem wrote:1) as you said above "Forgive me" (expressing God given repentance and Faith in Jesus Christ)

If I suppress truth then I would ask forgiveness from the people who might have been mislead or directly affected.

Going back to your first question:

royaldiadem wrote:The principle of Biblical Hermaneutics(sic) (Hermeneutics) demands that the reader extract from the text the author's original intent and then either accept as truth or reject as truth.

The bible is a collection of stories some of which may have some truth (correspondence with reality) but mostly are fables and legends. While it can be useful as a historical indicator of societal values of the time and locale, it is at best irrelevant and at worst dangerous.

Since the bible has been interpreted in different ways by different sects, and at different times, any truths extracted from it are demonstrably subjective. The very use of the word hermeneutics i.e. interpretation shows it to be subjective.

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE DISCUSS A SUBJECT AS IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT, WHEN IN FACT THEY ARE LACKING ON THE SUBJEC T.
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
June 12th, 2010, 11:15 am
bigrebnc1861

eddiebuckle wrote:Oh - well, that's a bit restrictive but here's my answer:

1. No
2. No

Reason: I view the bible as a sacred text, but only one source of knowledge of the Divine. I respect that others believe that the Bible is The Word of God and hope that they can return the favor in light of the fact that I do not agree.

What is the definition and nature of a "sacred text"s
Are "sacred text"s true?
June 12th, 2010, 12:31 pm
royaldiadem

A PErson wrote:My reasons are based on reason not faith.

You have faith that reason is reasonable. Why?
June 12th, 2010, 12:51 pm
royaldiadem

A Person wrote:If I suppress truth then I would ask forgiveness from the people who might have been mislead or directly affected.

Since you have "directly affected" God, you should repent of your sin (suppressing the Truth in unrighteousness) and put your faith in Jesus Christ.

That make good use of the Gospel. (Which is the issue on this thread.)
June 12th, 2010, 12:55 pm
royaldiadem

A Person wrote:The bible is a collection of stories some of which may have some truth (correspondence with reality) but mostly are fables and legends. While it can be useful as a historical indicator of societal values of the time and locale, it is at best irrelevant and at worst dangerous.

The Bible is the Word of God, therefore it is not "a collection of stories" and "fables and legends".
Truth: that which corresponds to the Mind of God.
You are right it is dangerous for some:
Acts 30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”
32Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some began to sneer,

and for others it is life giving grace (unmerited favor of God):

but others said, “We shall hear you again concerning this.” 33So Paul went out of their midst. 34But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them.

So, for Dionysius and Damaris, The Bible is not dangerous. Unless you repent and trust Jesus Christ for the atonement for your sin, the Bible is dangerous. The best adivce for one to whom the Bible is dangerous is "Stay alive as long as you can."* and don't be like "some" who "began to sneer,"'

Sterling

*Pastor Dustin Segers
June 12th, 2010, 1:11 pm
royaldiadem

Return to Religion