·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Ted Haggard, coming back for more

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on December 8th, 2009, 8:29 am | Religion
More religious hucksterism, that is. And he's got a LOT of people keen on hearing him.

As the service began, he was jovial, even joking about his indiscretion. "If you're not getting enough snuggling [from your spouse], don't do it the way I did it," he said.

Indiscretion. I like that. While preaching hellfire and hatred for gays, he was busy enjoying himself with paid men. If that's an "indiscretion", I'd hate to see what "unforgivable crime" is.

As one loving follower said:
"He has a really big hole to dig out of," Welsch conceded. "I just want to see people give him a chance to see what happens."

A big hole to climb out of? YA THINK?? :twisted:

Coming back INDEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! :gay-umbrella:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
December 8th, 2009, 8:40 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

We watched 'Jesus Camp' while our brother was out here, and I've seen him in several interviews since "coming out"... and from everything I've seen of the guy, he will be back behind the pulpit before you know it.... He's probably the most charismatic religious figure out there. I mean Joel Osteen may have charisma but it's fake, almost to the point of a used car-lot sales man, but Ted Haggard, comes across much differently. You almost do feel sorry for him. Though you can't help but pity him a bit as every time he opens up his mouth my gaydar pings that the man is either blatantly naive or in complete denial.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
December 8th, 2009, 10:24 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

He is no longer biblically qualified to be a pastor or preacher. He needs to find a new line of work.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
December 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
BecauseHeLives

Getting in and out of holes perhaps?
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
December 8th, 2009, 11:10 am
A Person

Oh, I get it. Haggard is blaming his wife.
December 8th, 2009, 11:13 am
mikespeir

BecauseHeLives wrote:He is no longer biblically qualified to be a pastor or preacher. He needs to find a new line of work.

I'm guessing at the answer, but why? I thought all sins were forgivable?
December 8th, 2009, 11:42 am
Liv

Liv wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:He is no longer biblically qualified to be a pastor or preacher. He needs to find a new line of work.

This covers it pretty well

Pastor Qualifications in 1 Timothy 3:1-7

•Above Reproach - An accusation of sin won't stick to him.
•Husband of One Wife - He must be faithful to his wife. He adores his wife and doesn't flirt with other women.
•Self-Control - He is the master of his behavior. His behavior doesn't control him.
•Lives Wisely - He makes good choices.
•Has a Good Reputation - People at church and in the community think highly of him. He is respected.
•Hospitable - His home is open to others.
•He Can Teach - He has gifted insight into the scripture and communicates well those insights to others.
•Not Addicted to Wine - He never gets drunk or over-indulges in alcohol.
•Not Violent - He resolves conflict peacefully.
•Gentle - His manner and words are not abrasive ...he has a good "bed side manner."
•Loves Peace - Is someone who works toward peace in every relationship he encounters.
•Does Not Love Money - He is not consumed with his retirement fund or the price of gas.
•Manages His Home Well - His family and home are in order, not in chaos. His children are polite and respectful. His finances are in order.
•Not a New Christian - He has proven experience as a faithful follower of Jesus.

Other Pastor Qualifications in Titus 1:6-9

•His children must be believers who are not wild or rebellious
•Not Arrogant - He must be humble, thinking of others first. He has a servant's heart.
•Not Quick-Tempered - His anger does not flare up at the least provocation.
•A Strong and Steadfast Belief - A conviction in the gospel that does not waver.
December 8th, 2009, 1:20 pm
BecauseHeLives

O Bumblebee, you are misquoting the Bible again

1 Timothy 3
3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Titus 1
1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

Haggard may not be Biblically qualified to be a Bishop, but he is not disqualified from being a pastor or preacher.

I believe you will find some examples of repentant sinners becoming preachers, pastors and even saints if you look. (this is left as an exercise for the student)
December 8th, 2009, 1:31 pm
A Person

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Liv wrote:

This covers it pretty well

Pastor Qualifications in 1 Timothy 3:1-7

•Above Reproach - An accusation of sin won't stick to him.
•Husband of One Wife - He must be faithful to his wife. He adores his wife and doesn't flirt with other women.
•Self-Control - He is the master of his behavior. His behavior doesn't control him.
•Lives Wisely - He makes good choices.
•Has a Good Reputation - People at church and in the community think highly of him. He is respected.
•Hospitable - His home is open to others.
•He Can Teach - He has gifted insight into the scripture and communicates well those insights to others.
•Not Addicted to Wine - He never gets drunk or over-indulges in alcohol.
•Not Violent - He resolves conflict peacefully.
•Gentle - His manner and words are not abrasive ...he has a good "bed side manner."
•Loves Peace - Is someone who works toward peace in every relationship he encounters.
•Does Not Love Money - He is not consumed with his retirement fund or the price of gas.
•Manages His Home Well - His family and home are in order, not in chaos. His children are polite and respectful. His finances are in order.
•Not a New Christian - He has proven experience as a faithful follower of Jesus.

Other Pastor Qualifications in Titus 1:6-9

•His children must be believers who are not wild or rebellious
•Not Arrogant - He must be humble, thinking of others first. He has a servant's heart.
•Not Quick-Tempered - His anger does not flare up at the least provocation.
•A Strong and Steadfast Belief - A conviction in the gospel that does not waver.

LOL!

I know dozens of preachers who don't live up to these standards! Loving peace, not loving money? You gotta be kidding!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
December 8th, 2009, 1:40 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
The poor guy is gay (or bisexual), but doesn't want to be. What a powerful preacher he might be if he just came out and accepted his sexuality. If he could love and embrace the person he is, he could be a great preacher--especially to a mixed congregation of GLBT and straights. He could be a voice for good: a voice for interpersonal respect, love and tolerance. But first he has to accept that he is either gay or bisexual.
December 8th, 2009, 1:50 pm
Questioner

Questioner wrote:The poor guy is gay (or bisexual), but doesn't want to be. What a powerful preacher he might be if he just came out and accepted his sexuality. If he could love and embrace the person he is, he could be a great preacher--especially to a mixed congregation of GLBT and straights. He could be a voice for good: a voice for interpersonal respect, love and tolerance. But first he has to accept that he is either gay or bisexual.

To be a voice for interpersonal respect and love, he probably needs a bigger makeover than to admit to himself that he's gay. He's spent his whole life in an intolerant mode. I bet it's his default mindset.
December 8th, 2009, 2:00 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I know dozens of preachers who don't live up to these standards! Loving peace, not loving money? You gotta be kidding!

And that's a shame. Because there are many preachers out there that don't qualify biblically yet they are still preaching. Perhaps that is why Christianity is in the state its in today.
December 8th, 2009, 4:59 pm
BecauseHeLives

Perhaps letting an 'unqualified' Saul preach is why "Christianity is in the state its in today" (whatever that means)
December 8th, 2009, 5:16 pm
A Person

BecauseHeLives wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I know dozens of preachers who don't live up to these standards! Loving peace, not loving money? You gotta be kidding!

And that's a shame. Because there are many preachers out there that don't qualify biblically yet they are still preaching. Perhaps that is why Christianity is in the state its in today.

Christianity has always had problems, but internally and in its interface with the rest of humanity. Perfection is a fantasy. Learning how to accept imperfection and deal with it is the best way to move forward in life.
December 8th, 2009, 6:23 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I mean, we really do have to give Haggard props.... at least he was being gay and not a pedophile as many preachers do.
December 8th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:I mean, we really do have to give Haggard props.... at least he was being gay and not a pedophile as many preachers do.

Yeah -- send him a thank-you note.
December 9th, 2009, 3:08 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to Religion