Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Osama Bin Laden the CIA Agent.

What The Funk?

Postby Liv » Sun May 12, 2013 9:21 pm

reaganmeetstalibanwhitehouse.jpg

So I'm sick, and my back is inflamed, and I'm tumbling on Tumblr when I run across an image that reads:

97% of Americans do not know Osama Bin Laden was a CIA Agent in the 80's

Say what?

Apparently it's true.... or well mostly, he was an asset whose American name was Tim Osman, who was brought into the inner circle of the White House to coordinate American support against communism in Afghanistan through arms and training.

I'm not sure why this surprises me, as I remember at one-time putting together a presentation that included a un-doctored photo of Osama Bin Laden meeting with the president in the early 80s/ late 70s. Googling for the photo yielded me no results today. Perhaps my memory fails me, but I was able to find a photo of Reagan meeting with the Taliban and who he claimed were like "America's founding fathers".
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby The Vicar » Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 am

Although you are entirely right that the Taliban was one of the many Islamic groups we now officially hate who were funded and encouraged by Reagan, and it's no news that Bin Laden was once our puppet/agent/catspaw/whatever, the group Reagan claimed were the equivalents of our founding fathers were the whatsisnames, the CIA-trained death squad users down in Central America.
The Vicar

Return to WTF?