·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Are Political Affiliations Nothing More Then Sports Teams?

by Liv | Published on July 25th, 2006, 7:51 am | News
Are political parties nothing more than glorified sports teams? Why do people choose to be a Democrat, Republican or Independent? Is it morals? Is it ethics? Is it merely because you grew up in a house that brain washed you into voting for your family's political affiliation? Is it one certain issue that you refuse to reconcile with such as Abortion, Gays, Immigrants, or Gender?

For some people I get the sense that choosing a political affiliation has no greater consequence in there life, then deciding because you live in Michigan, your favorite baseball team is the Detroit Tigers, or because Dad has a Chevrolet parked in the drive-way you like Jeff Gordan. Is it the social consequences of growing up in a family of Republicans that may constrict certain individuals from later in life becoming a Democrat. (or vice versa) Do our social groups influence our brains so much, we'd rather conform to our peers then break a stereotype, think for ourselves, and determine perhaps what your family and friend think is totally and complete nonsense?

Yet come November we'll cheer our teams on. Come 2008, we'll be electing captain of the football team with our Presidential elections being the Olympics of professional politics. One team will go away in defeat, the other will cheer its victory. Perhaps in future elections, rather than national debates, we can simple resort to playing H-O-R-S-E at the neighborhood basketball goal?

This is exactly right. They have dumbed us down to the point where it is 'our team' vs 'their team'. Heck, we even have team colors...red and blue. How I hate what we have allowed ourselves to become as a nation. Its no longer about the right person for the job, its about who can be most charasmatic with the deepest pockets plus look good on camera.

I would compare the pres. candidates of either party to the 'Michael Jordan' of their prospective 'teams', but the caveat is that Michael actually had talent.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 25th, 2006, 8:01 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Return to News