·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Go fly a kite

by A Person | Published on February 4th, 2009, 6:22 pm | Science
You may have seen parasailors with the big self inflating parachute kites performing spectacular stunts on surfboards.
parasail.jpg

Now someone has had the bright idea of adding them to cargo vessels as a supplement to their engines. Unlike a true sailing ship, extensive rigging is not required. The vessel can operate under power in the normal way but fuel requirements can be reduced by 35%. Which at 15 tonnes diesel/hr is not lightly turned down. A savings of 5,000 liters or 1200 gallons every hour

I've seen this before, not sure where... I say it's a great idea if it works.... but it's difficult for me to imagine....
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
February 4th, 2009, 10:26 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

While it would only work when the wind is close to following a ship, the same as with true sailing ships, the opportunity to save fuel (and cash) would be pretty regular. And the cost of adding the equipment and training for its use would be rather low, I should think.

Nifty.
February 5th, 2009, 6:49 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:While it would only work when the wind is close to following a ship, the same as with true sailing ships

They can sail upwind. just as square rigged ships can. Not as fine as a modern fore-and-aft Bermuda rigged boat, but within 70 degrees off the wind (cf 40 degrees for a fore-and-aft rigged).
February 5th, 2009, 1:33 pm
A Person

Hmm... next thing you know... they'll invent a boat without motors but only sails.... they'll probably call it a "sail boat"!
February 5th, 2009, 5:13 pm
Liv

There are very good reasons why steamships, even with limited range and burning expensive coal replaced sailing ships. And why hybrid sail/steamers weren't successful either.

I think the big advantage here is that it is a supplement that can be fitted to a ship optimized for power without sacrificing maneuverability, stability or needing masts
February 5th, 2009, 5:52 pm
A Person

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0x7naNZ0A[/youtubevideo]

beluga-skysails-at-sea.jpg
wind-propelled-beluga.gif
wind-propelled-beluga.gif (9.15 KiB) Viewed 322 times
June 11th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Liv

Return to Science