·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

One Million Animals Killed Per Hour in the U.S. alone?

by Liv | Published on August 25th, 2008, 8:04 am | Science
one_million_animals_slaughtered.gif
one_million_animals_slaughtered.gif (43.82 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
The other day I was watching a lecture from Dr. Neal Barnard. He's a Vegan so of course he's a tad biased, but during the lecture he made the remark that in America, 1 million animals are killed per hour for consumption. That's a shock statement, which curiously is very shocking though I quite admittedly won't be curbing my animal addiction anytime soon. It's not that I wouldn't want to, it's just, well... I think I like meat.... No really, though I am beginning to find food which have begun to change my mind. I'm absolutely in love with the Mushroom Lover's veggie burgers. Definitely as good as their beef counterpart. Still, I love meat.

So back to Barnard's statement. "Screw Global Warming!!!" Seriously? I'm not sure if this statistic is fabricated or not, but several resources stated numbers as high as 1.14 million per hour, not including fish. I mean if animals go to heaven, I can't imagine what they think of us up there. Back here on earth the numbers become more imaginable when you consider the high-speed chicken production lines that can slaughter birds at 8400 per hour.

So here's the question, given the intense amount of food, time, and waste that goes into the producing and subsequent slaughter of animals, is it really worth it? It's if anyone has ever sunk their teeth into a fine steak, then the answer would be yes. The question is what's the answer? Certainly life would be better with out meat- but the chances of America ever going vegan is next to none. Is synthetic meat the answer? Do we just keep doing what we're doing? Is their some moral question to the massive slaughter of that many animals?

I don't know.

I wonder if, being a vegan, he considers eggs in that number?

In any event, the problem that vegans seem to have is with "taking a life." Unfortunately for that simplistic view, ultimately, virtually all multi-cellular life feeds on the death of other living things. What difference, then, whether that death comes from human action or not?
August 25th, 2008, 8:59 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I wonder if, being a vegan, he considers eggs in that number?

BHV.. Because Hes Vegan
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
August 25th, 2008, 9:00 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Here's what is going to happen to this thread: some guy is going to post his opinion that God gave us dominion over the animals, therefore we can do what we wish with them. I will reply that this line of thinking logically ends with bestiality before a BBQ and ask if that is what God meant. SFI will mention something about cats. Sanjuro and Evil Liv will both mention they know someone who is into veganism and bestiality. A Person will link to a study which implies people who are into bestiality are on the average more healthy than vegans. Questioner will tell us how according to her ER experience that cat attacks are on the rise. Brenda Bee will quote a story from the Washington Times about how veganism leads to communism and supports terrorism. Matt will say he served his country for 7 years and deserves meat if he wants it. RD will post some Bible verses that say thinking for oneself is evil and relates to this thread...how?
August 25th, 2008, 9:41 am
Nfidel

I forgot to add, RebelSnake will say that someones has their head up their ass if they beLIEve that. Know what I mean, Vern?
August 25th, 2008, 9:47 am
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:Here's what is going to happen to this thread: some guy is going to post his opinion that God gave us dominion over the animals, therefore we can do what we wish with them. I will reply that this line of thinking logically ends with bestiality before a BBQ and ask if that is what God meant. SFI will mention something about cats. Sanjuro and Evil Liv will both mention they know someone who is into veganism and bestiality. A Person will link to a study which implies people who are into bestiality are on the average more healthy than vegans. Questioner will tell us how according to her ER experience that cat attacks are on the rise. Brenda Bee will quote a story from the Washington Times about how veganism leads to communism and supports terrorism. Matt will say he served his country for 7 years and deserves meat if he wants it. RD will post some Bible verses that say thinking for oneself is evil and relates to this thread...how?

Man -- this is a GREAT timesaver, Nfidel! Thanx!
:lol: 8) :twisted:
August 25th, 2008, 9:48 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Nfidel wrote:Here's what is going to happen to this thread: some guy is going to post his opinion that God gave us dominion over the animals, therefore we can do what we wish with them. I will reply that this line of thinking logically ends with bestiality before a BBQ and ask if that is what God meant. SFI will mention something about cats. Sanjuro and Evil Liv will both mention they know someone who is into veganism and bestiality. A Person will link to a study which implies people who are into bestiality are on the average more healthy than vegans. Questioner will tell us how according to her ER experience that cat attacks are on the rise. Brenda Bee will quote a story from the Washington Times about how veganism leads to communism and supports terrorism. Matt will say he served his country for 7 years and deserves meat if he wants it. RD will post some Bible verses that say thinking for oneself is evil and relates to this thread...how?

Nfidel wrote:I forgot to add, RebelSnake will say that someones has their head up their ass if they beLIEve that. Know what I mean, Vern?

Funniest thing I read all weekend. THANKS!!!! :lol: :lol:
August 25th, 2008, 9:52 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

That's notorious Nfidel...

Absolutely the best thing ever.
August 25th, 2008, 10:20 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Actually replying to your original post now Liv: I've always been ambivalent about meat and the animals from where we get it. I think SFI touched on the pro meat feelings I have. Specifically, if we say we're not going to kill a living creature what we're really doing is deciding, usually by size and cuteness, which ones to protect by not eating them.

We kill bacteria when we wash our hands, clean our house or take antibiotics. They are living creatures. Plant life is life. Also, many breeds of animals would not exist had they not been bred for food. Do vegans all have rat infestations? Do they kill mice? Spiders? (Personally, I allow the spiders in the house but not the furry creatures. All the furry creatures we keep for pets are unnatural and the wild ones can carry disease. Spiders can't give you diseases and they eat bugs you don't want in the house).

Scientists also say, had our ancestors not began to eat meat, we'd have never grown a brain large enough to allow us sit around and contemplate the morality of eating meat.

Now, on the other hand, when I eat meat someone has to kill an animal in a way that would seem like murder. This happens on a massive scale. I've hunted small animals and birds and didn't really like it. Today I went fishing ( an activity the comedian Demetri Martin says should be called what it really is: Tricking and killing. Video link) but I practice catch and release. Anyway, it seems all rather vicious and bloodthirsty, no matter how remote. Like I said, I'm ambivalent.

Here's an oldie but I thought resurrecting it for this thread would be alright.

August 25th, 2008, 11:35 pm
Nfidel

Well Barnard's belief is health from veganism, and technically uses the above statement in a small statement about using whatever works on people, and telling kids "1 million animals an hour are slaughtered" is one method....
August 26th, 2008, 12:56 pm
Liv

Nfidel wrote:Now, on the other hand, when I eat meat someone has to kill an animal in a way that would seem like murder. This happens on a massive scale.

I prefer not to think about how my mean was killed, thanx. Me is squeamish.
Today I went fishing ( an activity the comedian Demetri Martin says should be called what it really is: Tricking and killing. Video link) but I practice catch and release.

So you like to practice tricking and torture? I did that once but I just couldn't bear to continue. That's why I like diving -- I get to see all the fish without actually molesting them. 8)
August 26th, 2008, 1:06 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:So you like to practice tricking and torture? I did that once but I just couldn't bear to continue. That's why I like diving -- I get to see all the fish without actually molesting them. 8)

I'd like to learn diving, but I can't afford the equipment or lessons just now. In the meantime I guess I'll have satisfy my fishy desires by yanking them into my environment.
August 26th, 2008, 1:21 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:So you like to practice tricking and torture? I did that once but I just couldn't bear to continue. That's why I like diving -- I get to see all the fish without actually molesting them. 8)

I'd like to learn diving, but I can't afford the equipment or lessons just now. In the meantime I guess I'll have satisfy my fishy desires by yanking them into my environment.

LOL! Well, if you ever find your way to getting certified, you will have at least 1 buddy ready to go tramping off to the quarry or to the beach to dive with you.

And I has access to 2 underwater cameras! :mrgreen:
August 26th, 2008, 1:29 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I don't get catch and release. I have no hesitation to catching animals to eat them, but to trick a perfectly good fish, stick a hook through its mouth, drag it into a poisonous atmosphere and then throw it back seems pointless and unnecessary. Could you imagine doing it to a land animal? Especially one that could scream?
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
August 26th, 2008, 1:37 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I don't get catch and release. I have no hesitation to catching animals to eat them, but to trick a perfectly good fish, stick a hook through its mouth, drag it into a poisonous atmosphere and then throw it back seems pointless and unnecessary. Could you imagine doing it to a land animal? Especially one that could scream?

I call it fishing, but really I just like pulling twirly things through murky water. It's not my fault if the best designed ones have hooks on them for stability or that fish like to attack them. Seriously, though, I'm not sure what the attraction to fishing is. I don't feel a sense of accomplishment. Let's face it. I've outsmarted something with a brain the size of a peanut. Maybe it's like magic to me. Imagine flying a kite, reeling it in and finding an animal on the end of the string.

I suppose the fish I release go home and tell alien abduction tales.
As for catching land animals, the National Lampoon Magazine once had story about dog fishing. I tried to find it online but their online story archive seems to be gone.
August 26th, 2008, 2:23 pm
Nfidel

I know what you mean about fishing - except for me the thrill is seeing food on the line. I feel the same way about harvesting any wild food - berries, mushrooms, animals etc.

When I lived near water warm enough to dive in I loved catching crabs, dogfish and other aquatic creatures slow enough to be caught without weaponry. I felt it was a reasonably fair contest. In the UK I used to collect any rabbits I hit with the car and eat them. Out here I've hit a moose with my car, but it was too big to carry home and the car was in no fit state to transport it either. The only other things I've hit (i.e. skunks & gophers) I've left for creatures with stronger stomachs than mine :)
August 26th, 2008, 3:35 pm
A Person

vegan.jpg
October 14th, 2010, 10:23 am
Liv

Return to Science