·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Drano Bombs

by A Person | Published on April 28th, 2010, 4:08 pm | Science
Apparently these things are becoming sufficiently common in some places that warnings have been issued

A "works" bomb is described as Drano and foil mixed inside a bottle. The chemical reaction makes a volatile build-up of gases and subsequently detonates the bottle with a great amount of force, with the chemical substance in the bottle becoming boiling liquid at that point, the e-mail said.

The explosion can be severe enough to cause second- or third-degree burns or blindness, Mansell said in the e-mail.

Draino is Sodium hydroxide (lye, caustic soda) and aluminium foil. When mixed with, water hydrogen gas is given off. the results can be quite violent - and the explosion itself is not the only problem. The reaction causes heat and when it explodes the hot, caustic liquid is sprayed everywhere. It will dissolve skin and eyes

Be warned - copycats abound

I had a couple of teenagers set one of those off at my doorstep last fall. They rang the doorbell and ran. Fortunately, I was was in my office and could not hear the doorbell BUT I did hear the explosion. If anyone would have been around that explosion they would have been seriously injured. That stuff sprayed everywhere. Dicolored my porch and seared my grass. I still have about an 8 foot by 2 foot are where the grass died and this is 25 feet from the door.

I'm sure those teenagers were athiests. :twisted:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
April 28th, 2010, 8:02 pm
BecauseHeLives

Yeah, Christians would've used Holy Water

April 28th, 2010, 9:56 pm
A Person

I'm actually more surprised by the fact things like this hasn't become more common with the internet. Apparently if you're generally smart enough to use the internet... it's not to build silly chemical bombs... which I guess is a good thing.

My favorite is still the meme of kids in Europe tossing smart cars in the rivers, lakes, and ponds. "Smart Co." was so concerned about it catching on in the U.S because of the internet they apparently tried to limit media exposure over there.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
April 29th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I see that some religious nuts decided to try and set off a ginormous IED in Times Square the other day. This penchant for using big explosions in place of political speech is rather tiresome. I wonder if things will EVER get better?
May 3rd, 2010, 6:45 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
It seems it was the Taliban in Pakistan, or at least they have made a credible claim of responsibility.

If only bigrebnc1861 was there with his arsenal to save us.

bigrebnc1861.jpg
bigrebnc1861.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
May 3rd, 2010, 9:30 am
A Person

Return to Science