·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Total Perspective Vortex

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on August 14th, 2009, 8:05 am | Science
In the book "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe," one of the more interesting gadgets described for our entertainment was the Total Perspective Vortex. This machine supposedly takes a piece of fairy cake, accurately measures all the gravitational influences on it and uses the info to extrapolate the position of every bit of matter in the universe -- then feeds that information into the mind of the machine's victim -- er.. occupant. Gives one an accurate view of where one fits into the total scheme of things in the universe.

We're not there yet technologically. 8)

However, we do have this to give us a good approximation. It takes a while to load... but it's something like a Google Universe. Click on it to zoom in. Click/drag to move around the image. Most every spec you see is a complete galaxy, very much like the 100 billion star mass we are part of. Enjoy the perspective. Thanks to Sanjuro for giving me the link.
:dance:

We're nothing but a spec of dust in reality....
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
August 14th, 2009, 8:14 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY[/youtubevideo]
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
August 14th, 2009, 11:17 am
A Person

LOL
August 14th, 2009, 11:24 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Or in slightly less musical terms

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg[/youtubevideo]

Wasn't it nice of God to make up all those photos already on their way so wherever we look we find this make believe reality made to seem billions of years away?
August 14th, 2009, 11:27 am
A Person

Return to Science