·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Burgers around the world

by Liv | Published on October 20th, 2008, 3:48 pm | Food
hamburger.jpg

Argentina
Burgers are boiled and served with a fried egg on top of a piece of pimpernickel.

Germany
The ground beef is mixed with pieces of wet bread, onions, mustard & egg.

Switzerland
Burgers are served American style but eaten with a knife & fork.

Korea
Burgers are made with pickled cabbage and hot peppers locally known as "kimchee".

Sweden
Burgers are called "pannbiff" which is beef mixed with brown sauce, fried onions, and lingonberry preserves.

Liv wrote:Germany
The ground beef is mixed with pieces of wet bread, onions, mustard & egg.

When I make burgers I mix the ground beef with breadcrumbs, chopped onions, egg and mustard - plus salt & pepper. It binds the meat and traps the juices. A pure beef patty is boring and lumpy.

We often make lamb burgers and I like to use cous-cous instead of breadcrumbs and add rosemary.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 20th, 2008, 3:53 pm
A Person

I've never done bread crumbs before but seems really interesting.... I do have a recipe where I add worshire to it.... But this gives me some new things to try.
October 20th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

mmm

My dad makes burgers the same way as AP (breadcrumbs, onions etc) but he seasons them with worcestershire or a soy/ginger sauce... and with the same juicy results.
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
October 21st, 2008, 9:58 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Lipton's onion soup mix mixed in is popular in our house.
October 21st, 2008, 10:02 am
Matt

Matt wrote:Lipton's onion soup mix mixed in is popular in our house.

Do you serve 'em with Lipton's suntea in the summertime?
October 21st, 2008, 10:14 am
Serendipitous

we're blasphemous non-tea drinkers.
October 21st, 2008, 10:48 am
Matt

Sun tea is nasty. Iced tea made from boiling water on tea leaves and iced is nice.

I didn't mean to suggest that was the only burger recipe. I almost never make the same mix twice. Onion powder, HP sauce, hosin sauce, curry powder, pumpkin seeds, tamarind sauce, all make their way into the mix. The egg and breadcrumbs are a standard as they give the burger a lightness and juiciness you can't get without
October 21st, 2008, 11:00 am
A Person

Thanks for all the burger recipes. My mom used to make something similar with the breadcrumbs, Worcestershire and onions. She called it "Long Boy Cheeseburger". The recipe was in an old dog eared cookbook. My sister has the cookbook but those pages are missing. I tried a recipe by the same name from the net. It was good and ate enough that I've not wanted it again after several months, but it was missing something.

Do any of you old timers remember what I assume was a chain called Ollie's Trolley? There was one in Winston Salem at the corner of 30th (now Deacon Blvd) and Cherry (I think that's now University Parkway)? Right at the coliseum. The building resembled a trolley and they used a clear, beige sauce atop really fat burgers. Those were the only hamburgers I never wanted to garnish with something, not wanting to cover up the flavor. Wow. I just did the math and this would have been 34 years ago. sigh.
October 21st, 2008, 12:06 pm
Nfidel

with the egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, onions, etc, sounds more like how I make meatloaf.

Except with meatloaf, I also sneak in non-instant oatmeal. Absorbs liquid and looks like it melts in there and kids think it's cheese. Helps keep meatloaf from falling apart from too many liquid ingredients.
October 21st, 2008, 12:21 pm
Matt

A Person wrote:Sun tea is nasty. Iced tea made from boiling water on tea leaves and iced is nice.

I hate sun tea, but that's what comes to mind when I think of Lipton.

Matt wrote:with the egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, onions, etc, sounds more like how I make meatloaf.

My dad didn't used more breadcrumb to beef ratio for meatloaf than for burgers. Burgers needy to stay beefy!
October 21st, 2008, 12:32 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:

I have an iced tea recipe that tastes like tea and will make you quit cussing Lipton. I'll post it when I have time. I think there is some magic involved, though.
October 21st, 2008, 12:43 pm
Nfidel

Nfidel wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:

I have an iced tea recipe that tastes like tea and will make you quit cussing Lipton. I'll post it when I have time. I think there is some magic involved, though.

Please share, but only if it's dark and solitary magic.
October 21st, 2008, 1:42 pm
Serendipitous

[youtubeembed]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hALepwbnPXE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hALepwbnPXE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtubeembed]

Holy Crap! :obscene-tolietcrapper:
November 3rd, 2008, 11:10 am
Liv

Wassup with the YouTube embedding these days. it seems hit and miss whether it works.
November 3rd, 2008, 9:05 pm
A Person

On here? If that's what we're talking about, it should work fine.... the only problem I've noticed is if you copy and paste and their is a space in-between the [youtubeembed] brackets and the code... it's got to butt right up against.
November 4th, 2008, 7:35 am
Liv

Return to Food