·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

My Geno's Philadelphia Cheese Steak Recipe

by Liv | Published on December 28th, 2005, 2:06 pm | Food
genos_philadelphia_cheesesteak_recip.jpg
Geno's Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sub Recipe

Okay this isn't a clone recipe but close enough. It's my Philadelphia Cheese-steak recipe after visiting Philadelphia. A Philly cheese-steak is an easy and basic sandwich guaranteed to please just about anyone. While my recipe has changed since visiting the famed city of Philadelphia, the home of the Cheese-steak, my love for the sandwich hasn't. So what's changed since my original recipe? A couple things. First the meat, secondly the steak. I was one of those delusional people who believe "Steak-ums" would be a acceptable base for a Philly Cheesesteak recipe, but I was wrong. Secondly, after going to Pat's and Geno's I've realized you need the Whiz, as in Cheese Whiz. It's the secret ingredient that makes the world go around and oh, how could I have survived without it?

First the meat. Get a huge honking chunk of "Top Round" (Not bottom) from your deli. You can either ask the meat man to slice it super thin (1/8 inch) or butcher it yourself. It's a good workout if you do the later. As with any meat you want to prepare it ahead of time. Toss it in a bowl of Hot water with 3 tablespoons of salt and 1/4 cup of vinegar, cover and let is tenderize itself. Then when you can wait no more (usually 4-8 hours) you drain the juice and fry the meat in a pan. The rest is self explanatory, and soon you'll have an authentic Geno's Philly Cheese Steak, and a new recipe for the Super Bowl. My recipe offers 3 levels of deliciousness:

Philly Cheese Steak Recipe Ingredients.

Ingredients:

Directions:
Marinate steak per packet instructions, adding vinegar (and generally 1/2-1 cup of water) moving mixture to frying pan with steak. Cook your steak, adding in Onions, Peppers, & Mushrooms mid-way in cooking. Warm bread in oven or on stove-top. Once the meet is cooked shut the burner off, and toss in your tomatoes, and lettuce and mix it all up. Spread 1 tablespoon of light (low-fat) cheese sauce on the bun. Place all ingredients in bun. Enjoy

Geno's VS Pat's Philadelphia Cheese Steak

So I'm in training for my Philadelphia adventure that leaves in exactly one week. One of the most important places I plan to visit when I get up there is South Philly, Home of the Philadelphia Cheese Steak sandwich, and two restaurants who continuously argue that they are the original cheese steak inventors. These two establishments are Geno's Steaks, and the other directly across the street is Pat's King of steaks. Both claim to be the original, and both agree that each other isn't the original. While I can't exactly judge who is the original, I can judge which one is better. This is what I plan on doing for the betterment of society. Actually Shannon has volunteered as well as we will each place an order and the split the sandwiches to see which one is better.

So the important part of the training is how to order a Philly Cheese Steak. I knew this because I get the food channel, and they explained it takes some talent. Luckily Geno's posts it on their website so first timers can become accustomed to the routine.

How to order a Steak
by I. M. Hungry

1. Specify if you want your steak with (wit) or without (wit-out) onions.

2. Specify Plain, Cheez Whiz, Provolone, American Cheese or a Pizza Steak. (we have lettuce and tomatoes but if we have to read your mind it's 50 cents extra)

3. Have your money ready. (do all of your borrowing in line)

4. Practice all of the above while waiting in line.
(if you make a mistake, don't panic, just go to the back of the line and start over)
February 20th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

No English, No Cheese Steak at Genos
By now I'm sure you've heard of Geno's steaks "English only policy". It hit the news a few days ago, and has been the source of constant debate on the Internet lately. Why? The irony, of an ethnic restaurant in the Italian side of town in Philadelphia, requiring its customers to order in English.

Now I've been to Philadelphia, and as most of you know, I was there just 3 short months ago. I can tell you for a fact no one in Philadelphia, let alone Geno's Steak & Cheese, speaks English. They speak Philly. It's absurd to think you should require Hispanic, and Mexican immigrants to speak English, when most locals orders their food in secret code as is.

For instance Cheese isn't cheese, it's "wiz". Secondly, the phase "with onions" is shortened to "wit"

The funny part of this all is I felt the people at Geno's were actually the nicer group of guys when we were there then Pat's, their rival. Both have killer cheese steaks, but the Geno's guys were friendlier. Either that or they don't get many North Carolina, "not dressed for the weather", in the middle of Philly, 20 something girls, at their restaurant all that often.
June 13th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Liv

I completely agree with this "requirement" What make this any different that jobs that post "Must be bilingual"??? If I were to go to Spain do you think they would adapt to the English language just for me....more people should have this and then hopefully, more people would WANT to learn our language instead of just knowing that our country will accommodate them- leaving them with no drive to learn-
June 16th, 2006, 7:33 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm tired, and I'm just getting up, but this isn't a employment requirement, but a requirement to order food at Geno's.
June 16th, 2006, 9:54 am
Liv

......"This Is AMERICA: SKEAK ENGLISH"

I commend Geno's for posting the sign. If you choose to live in this country then you should learn the language and use it.
June 16th, 2006, 7:27 pm

So when the majority of America speaks Spanish in 50 years, should you be forced to speak Spanish?
June 16th, 2006, 8:33 pm
Liv

What ever happened to Freedom of Speech?

I lived in Philly most of my life. I am tired of Americans worrying about offending everyone else. If you want to be an American Citizen, you should be required to learn to speak the language.

I heard that Genos is being sued because of the sign.

This may be a harsh example, but I’ll say it anyway.

In America a 10 year old girl can have an abortion without her parent’s knowledge, but you can’t hang a sign that says to speak English. Kids are also required to learn additional languages in school, but apparently they don’t have to learn English.

What a bunch of crap
July 11th, 2006, 9:16 am

Bravo to Genos Steak and Cheese...This is America and you should speak the language "English" When you travel to other countries like France, they expect you to speak French. So if the sign offends people then just do this: when they place an order and you can't understand them just say "Next Please"
February 8th, 2007, 3:01 pm
rosibaby

I just loved the fact that, in the picture, the restaurant seems to be completly empty... LOL nuff said really
August 3rd, 2007, 12:05 pm
Milander

We went twice while we were up there, and while the picture looks sunny, let me explain. It's about 15 degrees outside and this was about 10:30am in the morning if my recollection is correct. Not probably the budding time for cheesesteaks. Of course we were tourists, so they were glad to serve. When we went back, it was alot busier, (it was later in the day)
August 3rd, 2007, 1:43 pm
Liv

Thank God For a Dam Good American For Standing UP for Our English God Bless You and There Is Always a Liberal Bastered Tring To Discrass Him For Speaking Our Own Language and Change You NON DISCRIMINATION Sign I'm Behind you Clint Tuscaloosa AL
December 15th, 2007, 7:28 am
[email protected]

GENO SAW YOU ON GLEN BECK MON 12/17/7
I LOVED YOUR SIGN AND WE NEED MORE OF THEM THE MEXICANS ARE TAKING OVER AND NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WELL, U R TRYING. IN AMERICAN SPEAK ENGLISH WHY SHOULD WE CATER TO SOME OTHER NATIONALITY? THIS IS AMERICA AND GENO IF YOU CAN GET A PETITION TOGETHER I BET YOU WOULD EVEN MAKE MORE OF A VOICE BECAUSE SO MANY OF US ENGLISH SPEAKING AMERICANS THAT HAD TO LEARN TO SPEAK THE LANGUAGE WOULD SIGN IT. WE ARE THE USA LETS STAY THAT WAY
THANK YOU SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY!!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT LEAVE.
COCONUTTIE
December 17th, 2007, 8:55 pm
coconuttieshores

coconuttieshores wrote:GENO SAW YOU ON GLEN BECK MON 12/17/7
I LOVED YOUR SIGN AND WE NEED MORE OF THEM THE MEXICANS ARE TAKING OVER AND NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WELL, U R TRYING. IN AMERICAN SPEAK ENGLISH WHY SHOULD WE CATER TO SOME OTHER NATIONALITY? THIS IS AMERICA AND GENO IF YOU CAN GET A PETITION TOGETHER I BET YOU WOULD EVEN MAKE MORE OF A VOICE BECAUSE SO MANY OF US ENGLISH SPEAKING AMERICANS THAT HAD TO LEARN TO SPEAK THE LANGUAGE WOULD SIGN IT. WE ARE THE USA LETS STAY THAT WAY
THANK YOU SPEAK ENGLISH ONLY!!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT LEAVE.
COCONUTTIE

Well, who can argue with a well written and brilliantly constructed argument like that? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
December 17th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Mmmm... Cheese steak.... Mmm...

Yo Queiro filete con queso

I've so got to go back to Philly.
December 17th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Liv

Some of these resurrected posts make peculiar reading when half the posts have been deleted :?
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
December 17th, 2007, 11:31 pm
A Person

when did " this is america" stop referring to the melting pot? None of us describe our genetic history as "AMERICAN" we are all of german, irish, italian, english......on and on ....descent. The only true americans are native americans and they weren't english speakers( and they didn't call themselves americans!!). Get over yourselves " AMERICANS" it won't be long and you will be too embarrased to leave the country proclaiming "I'm American" this country is becoming the laughing stalk of the world, no thanks to our uneducated but LOUD citizens!
December 23rd, 2007, 8:17 am
me

Go Genos! and how dare you make fun of our philly language.
April 13th, 2008, 9:41 pm

It was very dissapointing to drive 110 miles to try the so called "best cheese steak", only to find racist signs posted all over the place, including "buy SPEAK ENGLISH tees for $10". What happened to customer service? If someone orders in a different language other than English, is it too much for the cashier to say "I don't understand." The message getting accross to the customers is that non-English speaking customers are not welcomed PERIOD. I should have ordered 100 cheese steaks and then said "perdon, no hablo ingles" and walked away.
August 18th, 2008, 9:22 am
No Hablo Ingles

I do suppose that all the items on a Mexican restaurant menu should be translated to their English form, correct? Or perhaps no one who works for these establishments actually eat foreign foods?
August 18th, 2008, 10:28 am
Liv

languageenglish.jpg
October 12th, 2008, 11:38 am
Liv

Dinner... believe it or not... low fat too:
DSCF6427.JPG
DSCF6422.JPG

mmmm.... Cheesesteak....
October 30th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Liv

Looks like you made enough for me too...I'm coming over.
October 30th, 2008, 7:01 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

How'd dat get in da skillet?

:?:

:puke-huge:

The purple onions reminded me of Stan throwing up and Wendy Testerburger noting, "Hey! A french fry!"
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
October 30th, 2008, 8:13 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

These were seriously good... Sort of made up for my vegetarian lunch... but hey... gotta have da protein.
October 31st, 2008, 7:07 am
Liv

Return to Food