·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Guinness Draught Beer

by Liv | Published on January 14th, 2007, 2:03 pm | Food
651guinnessbeer.jpg

Well I finally got to try Guinness Beer the other day. I'm a firm fan of Anthony Bourdain's travel show, and when he went to Ireland the other day I knew I had to try it.

One I'm not a heavy beer or alcohol drinker anymore, but in a social scene or as an occasional relaxer I've been trying to spread my wings and experience different types of drinks.

What's odd is my heritage which is predominately Irish, Welsh and German left me scratching my head as to why I haven't tried Guinness before.

I wasn't to sure what to look for but local board members pointed me in the right direction. The original Guinness is the Draught which has this little widget stick in the bottle. You almost think it's a can of spray paint with a marble in it, until you read the warning label indicating this is normal. I'm not sure as to how or why this widget is in there, but I can't ever recall any American beer having anything similar. Though there where a few reported cases of rats in beer if memory serves me correct.

The Guinness Beer we found at a local Food Lion cost about $10.00 for a 6 pack which pretty much eliminates most of North Carolina ever trying it. But I'm someone who doesn't mind trading money for culture. No, I may never actually get to Ireland, but I can drink there damn Beer.

So is it any good? To me, I immediately noticed an absence of harshness American beers have. It was smooth, and gentle with the right amount of head. It was indeed a good beer. It was so good I think I may have addicted myself to this foreign bred alcohol. But then again, maybe it's just the idea that I can share in something made halfway around the world. Is it mind over matter, am I wasting my money? Even if I am, I can now join the legions of world wide drinker who have drank from the Irish spirits, to be more cultured, to be more diverse, and last but not least, to be inebriated.

The widget disperses nitrogen, thus the creamy head. For a local experience try McCoul's Pub downtown. I'm partial to the Old Speckled Hen.
A man living in a world where men are no longer necessary.
January 14th, 2007, 5:58 pm
Fecund Stench

American beers are mostly lagers and are served highly carbonated - which gives them that harsh feel you described.

Guinness is lightly carbonated and the head is generated by compressed nitrogen gas in the widget squirting out through a pinhole, which is one reason it tastes smooth.

Like most things there are good quality beers made with all malt and there are cheap beers made with cheaper ingredients (rice - Bud, corn - Mich)

There are some truly world class American craft beers, more expensive - but the money goes into the beer rather than advertising.

Guinness isn't a great craft beer but it is a classic. So why not develop a taste for quality :)
January 14th, 2007, 10:09 pm
A Person

"Guinness" has always been a take it or leave it kind of thing for me. My preference has always been for micro brews like "Anchor Steam" or any number of good german beers on tap.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
January 15th, 2007, 10:33 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I've never developed a taste for beer. Heck... I could never even stand the smell of beer.

I'll take a Pepsi any day though! :)
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
January 15th, 2007, 11:12 am
BecauseHeLives

Try a Black and Tan (Guinness floated on top of Bass Ale).

Quite tastey but don't plan on a big meal afterwards. You'll be full.
January 15th, 2007, 12:06 pm
Matt

Personally I think that spoils both the Bass and the Guinness :x

I'd take a trip to a local brew pub and get chatting with the brewer. He should be able to explain the differences in beer styles and how the selection of malts, yeast and hops influences the flavour. Hopefully illustrated with samples :)

Then you'll be able to pontificate about "how the generous use of crystal malts coupled with the Whitbread yeast gives a full bodied mouth-feel with estery overtones, perfectly set off by the citrus aroma of the Cascade hops"
January 15th, 2007, 12:41 pm
A Person

If it tastes good, that's what I'll go with. I don't need what I drink to identify me.

To me, nothing is quite as refreshing as an ice cold Coors Light when I'm wanting a beer.

It's cheap, tastes good, doesn't give me the blatz splats, and I could care less about how many hops are in it.

Miller..if that's all you have. Bud, no thanks I'll drive.

Now if you want to carry on about beer, get yourself some Leinenkugel's. http://www.leinie.com/
Then we'll discuss what a beer really is supposed to taste like. Unfortunately, you can't get it around here in the local grocery store much.
January 15th, 2007, 3:12 pm
Matt

irish_parents.jpg
August 4th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Food