·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Return to Beef Burger aka "Biff Burger"

by Liv | Published on April 8th, 2009, 1:52 pm | Food
biff_buger_8.jpg

One of the great excuses that you can enjoy while having your kitchen torn apart as you refinish the cabinets is being able to eat really bad fast food and totally destroy the diet.... because after all, you can't get to your stove. I can't say it's totally a bad thing as it's probably been about 2 years since I last went to Beef Burger AKA "Biff Burger". I'll try to not hold to much guilt about it.

biff_burger_7.jpg

Now there is some discrepancies on the history of the restaurant, but Biff Burger which is what "beef burger" really is minus the name change for obvious legal reasons was one of the first burger companies to advertise "flame broiled" and "special sauce". If that sounds familiar.... it may be because that is what Burger King is known for today. Oddly, both companies were also based out of Florida, but one rose to what we know today as one of the "Big 3" fast food giants, and the other into a small locally known restaurant on Lee street here in Greensboro. Defunct, and almost extinct it's a legendary landmark on the town's urban cityscape.

biff_burger_5.jpg

Biff Burger is actually an acronym for "Best In Fast Food". Whatever controversy surrounds the influence of these two companies on one another, I almost feel it's a chance of a lifetime opportunity to taste and engage in a food that harks back to such a legendary restaurant. As if you could drive back to 1955 and eat one of the first Burger King burgers. It's also a really darn good sandwhich. It's the kind of burger that you eat, and it soaks into your lips like vaseline on cracked skin. It's where the Hollywood elite stop at when they're in town, it's a UNCG rite of passage, and it's the food mascot for Greensboro much like the cheesesteak is for Philadelphia or a the deep dish is for Chicago. Beef Burger, and their "Superbuger" for that matter is merely a metaphor for what this city is about. The soul... and this burger feeds it.

biff_burger_4.jpg

The famous Super Burger is cooked on a marvelous technological invention called the "Whirl-a-burger". Two rotating broiling platforms cook your beef, and then "drip" the fat onto your buns as they toast them. In all likelihood there is probably still remnants of the first burger, Biff Burger ever cooked on the thing. Then you get your lettuce, onions and tomatoes, in between the perfect burger bun. True lovers of the sandwich can add cheese and bacon.

biff_burger_3.jpg

biff_burger_1.jpg

biff_burger_2.jpg

biff_burger_6.jpg

biff_fries.jpg

biff_burger_8.jpg

Here's some original photos from my original 2006 post:

Beef Burger / Biff Burger
    (336) 272-7505

1040 W Lee St
    Greensboro, NC 27403
    map

Boy I feel daft, but where the heck is this again??
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Just looking at that last photo clogged my arteries.
PotatoStew

Ah yes, the good ol' Biff Burger, been known to fly in there myself. Once upon a time in a land not so far away Greensboro had 2 Biff Burgers, Lee Street and East Market, but alas the Beef Burger is now the last remaining Biff Burger in the world.
Billy The Blogging Poet

Sanjuro wrote:Boy I feel daft, but where the heck is this again??

I think it's out on Lee St, near the Army Surplus store. A fine location for such a night spot. :twisted:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Yep... on Lee street, just past the coliseum, about a mile or so.
Liv
Just sit there and watch me!

Won't I get shot there?
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:Won't I get shot there?

Uh... no... I've never been shot at anytime when eating at Beef Burger.... But your cholesterol might kill ya after eating there.
Liv
Just sit there and watch me!

Oh good, well at least it will be by my own hand. LOL
Sanjuro

Man i love BIFF Burger!
It like eatting a little piece of history. I hope when the ol' man retires or dies someone keeps it running.

Maybe pan-handled. Owner is a no-nonsense sort named Ralph, and he's lasted a looooong time in that locale. Be glad to accompany you anytime, but I'd prefer daylight hours.

Man, I can taste that Double-meat Super now...

And they have real hand-dipped cones, too. Not like that mystery stuff you get at the chains.
The Rain King

The Rain King wrote:

Maybe pan-handled. Owner is a no-nonsense sort named Ralph, and he's lasted a looooong time in that locale. Be glad to accompany you anytime, but I'd prefer daylight hours.

And they have real hand-dipped cones, too. Not like that mystery stuff you get at the chains.

It's a date!! :lol:
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
The Rain King wrote:

It's a date!! :lol:

Well, okay, but just remember that I don't put out on the first one. I'm easy, but not cheap.
The Rain King

Billy The Blogging Poet wrote:Ah yes, the good ol' Biff Burger, been known to fly in there myself. Once upon a time in a land not so far away Greensboro had 2 Biff Burgers, Lee Street and East Market, but alas the Beef Burger is now the last remaining Biff Burger in the world.

Actually, there is still a Biff-Burger in its original building and location in St. Petersburg Florida at 3939 49th street N. The location still uses the same original name, instead of changing it to Beef Burger like the Greensboro location.

Check out the link http://www.biff-burger.com
Biff-Burger

Sanjuro wrote:Boy I feel daft, but where the heck is this again??

well my son-in-law said i could not eat one i have never seen a biff burger but i love to eat and i think i can do it so we put up a bet i told him he will have to save his go tee off if i eat it and if i lose i will have to save my eye brows off so will let you know what happend this is going down today he is on his we to get the burger :dance:
mz.dee