Haunted Greensboro: Return to Lydia's Bridge

by
Published on June 17th, 2006, 3:31 pm
Rift: X

For the last 83 years, a ghost named Lydia has been apart of Greensboro folklore, urban legend, and myth, mostly do in part to a single bridge in the little suburb community of Jamestown.

It's been nearly 6 years since I've been to Lydia's Bridge, and I felt it was time to return to this ghostly place that was apart of every young high school student rite of passage growing up in Greensboro.

Jamestown is a community that houses more then one Ghost tale, as it is also home to GTCC, which used to be a isolated medical facility housing patients with untreatable conditions. The resident doctors house currently still stands at the forefront of the property, and is said to be haunted from when he carried out horrible medical atrocities to its unknowing patients.

But the most notable of all Ghost legends is that of a high-school student named Lydia who died in 1923 in a car wreck. While many versions of the Jamestown Ghost exist, the most popular version is that Lydia was on her way to her prom with her date one night who was driving way to fast. They came upon the curve in the road approaching the bridge and lost control, slamming the vehicle into the opening of the tunnel. While her date died immediately, she stumbled out of the vehicle and attempted to waive down any vehicle that came by. Passerby's assumed she was just another hitchhiker, and passed her by until she eventually succumbed to the injuries sustained in the accident and died on the side of the road. When news of Lydia's death hit the citizens of Jamestown in the following days, they replied with outrage, and demanded that the curve in the road be corrected, and thus the building of the adjacent bridge directly to the right of the current one.

Legend says that on certain nights if you travel down into the old tunnel, you can see Lydia in her luminous blood stained prom dress trying to get a ride. Some people have suggested she's merely trying to make it to her prom.

The last time I visited Lydia's Bridge was about 6 years ago, and I wondered if I'd even be able to access it, since the only access to it is a overgrown make-shift footpath from daredevil high-school students attempting their right of passage & late night fun.

First I had to find it. The best place to access Lydia's Bridge is here:

This is a housing tract that sprung up just adjacent to Lydia's bridge after the road was rerouted. Turn into this road and about 1000ft from the intersection is a small gated road leading to the power company's switching station. I parked on the road here:

And here's the road leading back to the switching station:

Rather then going up the stone road and trespassing, you can merely climb the hill and and walk down beside the station to get to the bridge behind it:

Of course if you want to be dangerous and look like Mr Stick Figure here, be my guest:

Eventually you'll come to a point where the grass ends and the Kudzu starts. This is where your adventure begins. You'll need to find the foot path down into the tunnel. Today, it was less visible then it has been on other visits.

In this next picture you can see the new overpass which is currently used for traffic:

There's the path:

Once your on the path, the bridge is only about 500 feet in front of you, but you can only barely make it out due to the growth of plants covering it. Here you can just begin to make out "Lydia's Bridge":

About half way down the path I turn around, and I can see where the former road would have gone right through the power station:

Here's a chunk of leftover road from many years ago:

At last I reach the entrance to the tunnel, and I stop and think for a moment about how I hadn't exactly told anyone where I was going, and there might be some crazed homeless person foaming at the mouth who attacks me with a hubcap and eats my flesh. But knowing, no one could eat that much... I figured what the heck, and into the tunnel:

I am now inside the most haunted overpass in North Carolina. It is without a doubt much less scary to come during the day, then at night, but you still get a sense of time gone by as you step into it's century old walls.

Evidence of local Graffiti artists and homeless visitors are the closest I will come to confirming the legend of Lydia and her ghost today:

Looking out the other side of the tunnel:

As I leave a train passes overhead, and I managed to get a unique picture of the bridge with the train going overhead:

A few last pictures of the outside of the bridge before I leave:

All in all, it was fun to return to Lydia's Bridge, although at some point I will go back at night, but I'm definitely going with someone if I do. If you'd like to visit Lydia bridge here's a handy dandy link to the street I parked on:

The name of the street is YorkLeigh Lane:

Google Map to Lydia's Bridge

Now somebody call the Ghost-Busters.
June 17th, 2006, 3:31 pm

I just read this short story in a book that has a collection of regional Ghost Stories called "Triad Hauntings".

You should get it and investigate each one.

http://www.blairpub.com/folklore/triadhauntings.htm
March 4th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Matt

That would be so-o much fun... I might have to do that.
March 4th, 2007, 2:35 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Matt wrote:I just read this short story in a book that has a collection of regional Ghost Stories called "Triad Hauntings".

You should get it and investigate each one.

Ya, I've also read about it.Very funny.
July 29th, 2008, 6:36 am
movromka

My dad has picked her up, and taken her to her "House" when they got there she said thank you and disappeared. He then went inside and talked to a women who had lived there and explained what had happened and she then told him the story of how she had died and does this kind of thing every so often.
September 22nd, 2008, 5:01 pm
Poncho

Poncho wrote:My dad has picked her up, and taken her to her "House" when they got there she said thank you and disappeared. He then went inside and talked to a women who had lived there and explained what had happened and she then told him the story of how she had died and does this kind of thing every so often.

PLEASE help me then!!! I have been trying to find out if Lydia is real or just folklore. If your dad picked her up what was the address he took her to? What time did he pick her up? Where exactly was she when he found her? OH BOY, I am so excited!! Please let me know! Thanks in advance for your help! :clap:
September 29th, 2008, 8:45 pm
NCBec

I'll go with ya :-P
October 21st, 2008, 10:04 pm
chris

They are doing construction the bridge...so things are very very different...You might want to see the changes they have made...I work about 2 minles from the bridge and have for over 7 years...I drive throuhg it every night and never have seen anything out of the ordinary.
November 24th, 2008, 6:11 pm

I'll have to drive down there... I work only about 5 minutes from there... but rarely go out that way anymore...
William Killick: You have a raindrop running down your cheek, just like a tear.
November 25th, 2008, 4:53 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Great photos! I am doing paranormal investigating for my senior project, and my mentor and I had worked out a Saturday night to go investigate the bridge, which is when I stumbled across this site (actually, my dad found it). We went to check out the place that morning to look for parking, thinking we knew what to expect. Don't know if you've been that way recently, but this is a picture of what we found:
:o !!!!!
December 14th, 2008, 12:23 pm
Tina

Wow, great pic... wonder what they're doing?
December 14th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Liv

Follow Me
My dad used to tell the Lydia story every time we drove by the bridge when I was a kid, and it scared (and thrilled) me. I read it in the Nancy Roberts NC ghost story books I devoured. I was heartbroken as an adult to learn that the disappearing hitchhiker/ghost passenger story is alive and well all over the world in many cultures, and was around long before the automobile. At least we still have barbecue and Richard Petty.....
December 15th, 2008, 12:22 am
AwaitingUsernameApproval

Didn't Petty just go bankrupt?

Atleast we have BBQ....
December 15th, 2008, 9:09 am
Liv

Follow Me
I grew up in Greensboro on Fairfax Rd. We went by this area many times. You can see the old pass from the new one. The house that she gets dropped off at ih about a half a mile down the road. There is a yellow yield sign right before it and she usually disappears there. If you are driving and the pass is on your left, the house is also on your left. There is a really long drive way and it is a pretty decent sized house. I know there used to be a Church right after that on the right side. But I haven't been there for 13 years now. I used to visit the Jefferson Pilot building right by my house all of the time. My borthers and I rode bikes there. It's the original one on High Point Rd. It's haunted too. I have experienced many encounters there. It's a beautiful building and almost looks like a school or college. Thanks for putting up the pictures. It was neat to see all of that again. It still looks the same!
December 29th, 2008, 8:15 pm
Courtney

I was raised in Greensboro and all of my older cousins told me the story of Lydia. They told me a different story. They Said she was on her way back from the prom and her date and her had been drinking when it wiped around the curve to fast and that was when the accident happened it was also raining. they said that when it is dark and raining she comes out and tries to get a ride home. If you see her and do not give her a ride she will mess with your radio. and if you her a ride all the way to her house when you get out to help her to the door she will be gone. i was so scared of that story that i didn't want to go to Jamestown to visit my grandma for the longest time.but now i am more open to the idea of ghost. not comfortable but more open.
January 9th, 2009, 12:22 am
natiheather

natiheather,
The way I understand this story is that there were so many sitings that they closed the underpass for the railroad and opened another one several feet over. If you are going into Jamestown (away from GTCC), when you approach the area, look over to your left and you see the old underpass. If they had to move this area over, does that confirm her existance? :think:
January 9th, 2009, 10:47 am
jmar63

Must be the only explanation. No traffic engineer would ever try to straighten a dangerous bend leading into a single lane tunnel.
Obviously you do not know what a hyperbolic chamber actually is. That's ok. I'm used to you pretending to know what you are talking about BecauseHeLives, 2009 August 16
January 9th, 2009, 11:45 am
A Person

A Person wrote:Must be the only explanation. No traffic engineer would ever try to straighten a dangerous bend leading into a single lane tunnel.

AP, if you lived here and saw NC DOT's engineering projects, bidding process and quality of road construction here, you'd KNOW the only reason they would straighten a dangerous bend is due to ghost-crossings.
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
January 9th, 2009, 12:09 pm
C. Alice

C. Alice wrote:
A Person wrote:Must be the only explanation. No traffic engineer would ever try to straighten a dangerous bend leading into a single lane tunnel.

AP, if you lived here and saw NC DOT's engineering projects, bidding process and quality of road construction here, you'd KNOW the only reason they would straighten a dangerous bend is due to ghost-crossings.

ROFL & Crying....
January 9th, 2009, 1:14 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Liv wrote:
C. Alice wrote:

ROFL & Crying....

It really is the truth, isn't it!

Saw yet another headline about NC's roads yesterday...

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4282314/
The Rapture already happened. All the good Christians are gone. We're stuck with the rejects.

"Why would anyone pray in private where no one can see you?"- BHL
January 10th, 2009, 1:31 pm
C. Alice

C. Alice wrote:

Brilliant!
John Cleese: The audience is too uninformed. I blame the Americans. Nation of obese, violent, pig-ignorant, bible-thumping morons contaminating world culture. That’s why I spend most of my time here in France.. Beautiful isn’t it? Just look at those olive trees.

Interviewer: This is Santa Barbara.
January 10th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

C. Alice wrote:
Liv wrote:
ROFL & Crying....

It really is the truth, isn't it!

Sadly... unless it's supernatural people around here do want to see things change....
January 10th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Liv

Follow Me
Many Thanks for posting the pics!
I loved that book Triad Hauntings
This was my most fav story.
January 17th, 2009, 3:46 pm
Davey Gravy

If all this is true, then where is her original house?

I have heard rumors that people also went to her original house and her mother slammed the door in their face after saying that the girl died in 1923.
April 2nd, 2009, 11:50 pm

Here we go again... :roll:
April 3rd, 2009, 8:36 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to X